FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JDiver Jan 29, 19 3:23 pm

Posts relating to new / very low post count membersí posting limitations have been moved to the Technical Support and Feedback forum, to the thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...ink-image.html, as they pertain there and are not relevant to American Airlines.

Moderator

sn2015 Jan 29, 19 9:51 pm


Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30716033)
December is still eons away, definitely a chance that other options will open up before then. AA offers free date and time changes on awards, so you could always book one of the flights for 12.5k now to at least have something, then keep watching it and switch to a better option should it open up.

Thanks. One option I am looking is to buy the ticket. According to Google flights, an MIA-LAX non-stop flight is about $210 taxes/fees included.

Romelle Jan 30, 19 3:15 pm

Mileage tickets
 
For an AA mileage ticket, the amount of taxes and fees seems to vary a lot for different dates for the same trip. It seems lower in the winter, but I can't seem to get a handle on just when the change happens. Is it date specific, or are there other factors involved?

I'm trying to use my pitiful accumulation of AA miles for a one-way to Europe this next fall. I'm MSP based, so mostly just get DL miles. I'll use those for a one-way to get back home.

Thank you for any help. I did look on the AA web site first.

JJeffrey Jan 30, 19 3:23 pm


Originally Posted by Romelle (Post 30720768)
For an AA mileage ticket, the amount of taxes and fees seems to vary a lot for different dates for the same trip. It seems lower in the winter, but I can't seem to get a handle on just when the change happens. Is it date specific, or are there other factors involved?

I'm trying to use my pitiful accumulation of AA miles for a one-way to Europe this next fall. I'm MSP based, so mostly just get DL miles. I'll use those for a one-way to get back home.

Thank you for any help. I did look on the AA web site first.

Need specifics on your exact routings and carriers to be able to see what's going on. If any of your potential longhaul segments are on BA metal then these come with hefty ripoff fuel surcharges.

wiivile Jan 31, 19 8:57 am

Are passengers flying international first or business class using AAdvantage awards considered "non-revenue" passengers for the purposes of eligibility to enter Admirals Clubs? It says that "non-revenue" passengers are not eligible for lounge access.

MathMusic Jan 31, 19 9:03 am


Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 30723574)
Are passengers flying international first or business class using AAdvantage awards considered "non-revenue" passengers for the purposes of eligibility to enter Admirals Clubs? It says that "non-revenue" passengers are not eligible for lounge access.

No, you get access when travelling on award tickets, as long as the paid ticket would have access. Non-revenue passengers in this case means someone travelling standby on an employee pass or buddy pass.

soulp Jan 31, 19 10:12 am

I've searched and have read a few threads but I'm still not 100% clear on my question, so here goes..
I'm trying to book award travel to Germany (multi-city with Hamburg and Berlin. The order doesn't matter to me) from DC for mid-April and am not having much luck or maybe just out of luck. I know there are quite a few routes but all seem to be on Oneworld partner flights (BA for this instance) but neither using the booking tool or calling the Platinum 800# seem to find the ones that I see when I search regular fare flights. Is it that only certain flights are allowed to be booked with reward travel? Everything on the site says I should be able to use miles on partner flights but I can't figure out how. At this point, a regular fare on United is a quarter the cost and I can status challenge if I want. TIA

JJeffrey Jan 31, 19 11:15 am


Originally Posted by soulp (Post 30723846)
I've searched and have read a few threads but I'm still not 100% clear on my question, so here goes..
I'm trying to book award travel to Germany (multi-city with Hamburg and Berlin. The order doesn't matter to me) from DC for mid-April and am not having much luck or maybe just out of luck. I know there are quite a few routes but all seem to be on Oneworld partner flights (BA for this instance) but neither using the booking tool or calling the Platinum 800# seem to find the ones that I see when I search regular fare flights. Is it that only certain flights are allowed to be booked with reward travel? Everything on the site says I should be able to use miles on partner flights but I can't figure out how. At this point, a regular fare on United is a quarter the cost and I can status challenge if I want. TIA

Welcome to FT. Yes, pretty much lesson #1 in Award Travel 101 is that the availability of flights using points/miles to book will differ greatly from the availability of flights you can book with regular paid fares. Generally speaking, airlines only release seats for awards if they think they will otherwise not be able to sell that seat as a regular paid fare. Take a look at the below thread to get started...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ssistance.html

guv1976 Jan 31, 19 12:06 pm


Originally Posted by soulp (Post 30723846)
I've searched and have read a few threads but I'm still not 100% clear on my question, so here goes..
I'm trying to book award travel to Germany (multi-city with Hamburg and Berlin. The order doesn't matter to me) from DC for mid-April and am not having much luck or maybe just out of luck. I know there are quite a few routes but all seem to be on Oneworld partner flights (BA for this instance) but neither using the booking tool or calling the Platinum 800# seem to find the ones that I see when I search regular fare flights. Is it that only certain flights are allowed to be booked with reward travel? Everything on the site says I should be able to use miles on partner flights but I can't figure out how. At this point, a regular fare on United is a quarter the cost and I can status challenge if I want. TIA

MileSAAver awards -- which are all awards which include even one segment on a partner carrier -- are "capacity controlled." The costlier AAnytime awards -- which are only available on all-AA-metal itineraries -- are not.

If you are traveling to or from an airport not served by AA metal, MileSAAver awards are your only option if you want to redeem for just one award from origin to destination.

Mwenenzi Jan 31, 19 2:13 pm


Originally Posted by soulp (Post 30723846)
I've searched and have read a few threads but I'm still not 100% clear on my question, so here goes..
I'm trying to book award travel to Germany (multi-city with Hamburg and Berlin. The order doesn't matter to me) from DC for mid-April and am not having much luck or maybe just out of luck. I know there are quite a few routes but all seem to be on Oneworld partner flights (BA for this instance) but neither using the booking tool or calling the Platinum 800# seem to find the ones that I see when I search regular fare flights. Is it that only certain flights are allowed to be booked with reward travel? Everything on the site says I should be able to use miles on partner flights but I can't figure out how. At this point, a regular fare on United is a quarter the cost and I can status challenge if I want. TIA

If mid April equal Easter time that will be hard for award flights.
AA do not fly to Hamburg HAM or Berlin TXL, so you will be steered to BA via LHR
AA Saver awards on BA, if available, will have a high $ carrier surcharge. A saver award on an AA aircraft will not.
Try for an award to anywhere in Germany and then train to Hamburg & Berlin.

AA forum thread--> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ess-seats.html

Sample routes:-->Great Circle Mapper

simmang Feb 1, 19 8:45 am

Question About Award Change
 
Yesterday I found a great saver business award NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ (required only 60k miles). However, there is a 12 hour layover at LAX, which is obviously less than ideal. I still booked it (7 day hold) to grab the NRT-LAX saver business seat.

I've tried reading up on AA award changes and same day change rules, but I'm still a bit confused, so I'd like the experts to help with my options to eventually reduce that LAX layover time.

First question -- in the weeks leading up to the flight, if an earlier LAX-DFW saver premium seat opens up, can I adjust the LAX-DFW-ZZZ segments forward without there being new available saver business inventory on the NRT-LAX segment? Or does the computer have to revalidate inventory all the way through NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ?

Second question -- if I can't adjust the flights before I start travel, and I fly the NRT-LAX leg, does AA allow SDC to the remaining segments while I'm in LAX? I'm a UA flyer and this is allowed and easy to do even on the app, but I can't find whether that's allowed on AA.

Any other ideas or strategies? If it matters, I am AA Gold and the miles are from a general member's account.

ShamRockSteady Feb 1, 19 9:10 am

Free Checked Bags With AA credit cards
 
I see that both the Citi AAdvantage card and the Aviator Barclaycard offer a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, but do they also allow for a free checked bag on an international basic economy fare? Thanks!

JJeffrey Feb 1, 19 9:14 am


Originally Posted by simmang (Post 30727548)
Yesterday I found a great saver business award NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ (required only 60k miles). However, there is a 12 hour layover at LAX, which is obviously less than ideal. I still booked it (7 day hold) to grab the NRT-LAX saver business seat.

I've tried reading up on AA award changes and same day change rules, but I'm still a bit confused, so I'd like the experts to help with my options to eventually reduce that LAX layover time.

First question -- in the weeks leading up to the flight, if an earlier LAX-DFW saver premium seat opens up, can I adjust the LAX-DFW-ZZZ segments forward without there being new available saver business inventory on the NRT-LAX segment? Or does the computer have to revalidate inventory all the way through NRT-LAX-DFW-ZZZ?

Second question -- if I can't adjust the flights before I start travel, and I fly the NRT-LAX leg, does AA allow SDC to the remaining segments while I'm in LAX? I'm a UA flyer and this is allowed and easy to do even on the app, but I can't find whether that's allowed on AA.

Any other ideas or strategies? If it matters, I am AA Gold and the miles are from a general member's account.

Generally speaking, yes, if availability opens up on an earlier LAX-DFW-ZZZ option then you can call AA and switch (without affecting your existing NRT-LAX segment).

However, AA has implemented lots of married segment availability as of late which has made this type of change, which used to be easy, a real PITA. Now many agents are required to find availability on the entire route again (which of course won't exist in most instances) before being able to make a change to one or two segments like this. Take a look at the below thread to get an idea of what's going on.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nnections.html

guv1976 Feb 1, 19 10:35 am


Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady (Post 30727670)
I see that both the Citi AAdvantage card and the Aviator Barclaycard offer a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, but do they also allow for a free checked bag on an international basic economy fare? Thanks!

Per the terms of the benefit, the cards only provide for the first checked bag on domestic itineraries. Some people have reported that trans-border flights to Canada also qualify, but do not expect to get a free bag on other international flights -- unless you book a fare that includes it.

dingo Feb 1, 19 8:02 pm

I'm looking to fly a party of 3 from CLT to MAD via MIA, and return from BCN to CLT via MIA.

Travelers: me - old; wife - not nearly as old but still over 21; daughter - under driving age.

I want to book my wife and I into premium economy so we can earn miles, and then try to use my Exec Plat or mileage upgrades to get into business.

I'd like to book my daughter into business using her own miles.

If my wife an I don't clear to business, I would put my wife in business and my daughter and I would sit in coach (premium economy is what I'm thinking actually).

What I don't know, is if I can call and book my daughter on a flight or even do it online since she is a minor... < 10.

Looking for suggestions on how to book this mostly, and opinions on other options if there are any.

JJeffrey Feb 2, 19 11:09 am


Originally Posted by dingo (Post 30729832)
I'm looking to fly a party of 3 from CLT to MAD via MIA, and return from BCN to CLT via MIA.

Travelers: me - old; wife - not nearly as old but still over 21; daughter - under driving age.

I want to book my wife and I into premium economy so we can earn miles, and then try to use my Exec Plat or mileage upgrades to get into business.

I'd like to book my daughter into business using her own miles.

If my wife an I don't clear to business, I would put my wife in business and my daughter and I would sit in coach (premium economy is what I'm thinking actually).

What I don't know, is if I can call and book my daughter on a flight or even do it online since she is a minor... < 10.

Looking for suggestions on how to book this mostly, and opinions on other options if there are any.

Couple of random thoughts:

1) Have you checked award availability for your daughter's ticket? Unless you happen to just get really lucky, you're most likely looking at AAnytime awards, i.e. I'd make sure she has enough miles for this plan to work.

2) You will have to call AA to book your daughter's award ticket, so they can notate the PNR that she is not traveling alone.

3) Since initially you and your wife will be in PE while your daughter will be in business, not sure how this affects AA's minors policy, i.e. since you're in a different cabin would they try to charge the unaccompanied minor fee?

In any event, a call to AA is in order.

Gringa Feb 2, 19 2:04 pm

I know JDiver will show up with a 10 page long thread addressing my issue :D but here goes. Using the AA app on my Ipad, when I went to update info on a reservation I have, it made me log in again and then wouldn't accept my password after very carefully entering it many times. I'm logged in when I open the app, it's only after I need to change something that I have this issue. Is it me or is it AA?

JDiver Feb 2, 19 6:26 pm


Originally Posted by Gringa (Post 30732151)
I know JDiver will show up with a 10 page long thread addressing my issue :D but here goes. Using the AA app on my Ipad, when I went to update info on a reservation I have, it made me log in again and then wouldn't accept my password after very carefully entering it many times. I'm logged in when I open the app, it's only after I need to change something that I have this issue. Is it me or is it AA?

Most of those threads have a Wikipost at the top of the page summarizing a lot of information. In this instance, we don’t have a thread. ;) As bad, I’ve never experienced this on my iPad. But I wonder if it’s a bad cookie?

Gringa Feb 2, 19 9:11 pm

Hmmm. Maybe it is. I’ll delete the cookies and see if that does it. Gracias!

Romelle Feb 3, 19 8:34 am


Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30720802)
Need specifics on your exact routings and carriers to be able to see what's going on. If any of your potential longhaul segments are on BA metal then these come with hefty ripoff fuel surcharges.

You solved my problem. THANK YOU! I was so convinced it was a date issue I missed the consistency of BA metal segments causing the problem. I was looking at MSP-BCN where lots of routes are possible.

pssteve Feb 3, 19 11:28 am

Interlining checked luggage AA to EY??
 
Not new to AA or FT but can not find if AA will check luggage thru to EY. Any info is appreciated.

Mwenenzi Feb 3, 19 1:20 pm


Originally Posted by pssteve (Post 30734866)
Not new to AA or FT but can not find if AA will check luggage thru to EY. Any info is appreciated.

Same PNR = yes
Different PNR= no
AA thread on bag interlining with OW --->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2016-a.html
Expect AA to EY will be same as AA to other OW airlines
So if the EY flight has been purchased separately AA will not check luggage through to EY

Edit
Another AA to EY thread (but exactly not the same topic). Look at post 9
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...k-luggage.html

Smrtmom1 Feb 4, 19 12:06 pm

LHR arrivals lounge question
 
Newbie to AA lounges here. I have access through the world elite credit card, but have only ever use the access domestically. My husband and I are travelling to LHR in may, and I was wondering about the arrivals lounge. We will most likely be coach class. Does my access allow us access for showers and such on arrival? Is the arrivals lounge before we have to go through customs or after? Is the lounge on the front side of security (I saw one on the LHR map) a regular lounge we are able to use? I will be flying into LHR a bit over the next few years, as my son is moving to England in June. Will I be able to take my son and daughter-in-law with me into the lounges? I know my husband can, but can I take all 3 on occasion that we may all be flying together? Thank you in advance for all of the help.

JDiver Feb 4, 19 1:21 pm


Originally Posted by Smrtmom1 (Post 30738712)
Newbie to AA lounges here. I have access through the world elite credit card, but have only ever use the access domestically. My husband and I are travelling to LHR in may, and I was wondering about the arrivals lounge. We will most likely be coach class. Does my access allow us access for showers and such on arrival? Is the arrivals lounge before we have to go through customs or after? Is the lounge on the front side of security (I saw one on the LHR map) a regular lounge we are able to use? I will be flying into LHR a bit over the next few years, as my son is moving to England in June. Will I be able to take my son and daughter-in-law with me into the lounges? I know my husband can, but can I take all 3 on occasion that we may all be flying together? Thank you in advance for all of the help.

What ďworld elite credit cardĒ do you have that offers longe access? If itís an AA Citi Executive MasterCard, that allows Admirals Class access, and there are showers, as it confers membership. Two guests allowed, if thatís your card. If you have another AAdvantage card, you actually donít have lounge access at all, though you can purchase one day passes for everyone.

The AA arrivals lounge is landside and will not be available to you, unless youíre one world Emerald - but without guests - or arriving in Business or First.

Smrtmom1 Feb 4, 19 3:27 pm


Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30739005)
What ďworld elite credit cardĒ do you have that offers longe access? If itís an AA Citi Executive MasterCard, that allows Admirals Class access, and there are showers, as it confers membership. Two guests allowed, if thatís your card. If you have another AAdvantage card, you actually donít have lounge access at all, though you can purchase one day passes for everyone.

The AA arrivals lounge is landside and will not be available to you, unless youíre one world Emerald - but without guests - or arriving in Business or First.

I have the AA Citi Executive World Elite MasterCard, which does grant me Admirals Club access membership. I used to be OW Sapphire, but didn't fly enough last 2 years to maintain, so now I'm back to "member" status. Hopefully this year, with multiple trips to England planned, that will change.

And I want to make sure that I understand, I CAN go into the Admirals Club after security, and they have showers. And unless we upgrade to Business or First (which we may still do...haven't purchased tickets yet), then we can NOT use the arrivals lounge. Is that correct?

I'm sorry to have so many questions, as I said, the whole international lounge access issues are new to me. Thank you again.

I know I also have complimentary membership to Priority Pass locations with my Hilton card, and have found one in our terminal at LHR. But I wasn't sure which lounges I had access to on the AA side.
Thank you again!

jlemon Feb 4, 19 6:01 pm

I will be flying from LHR to DFW in business class on board an AA operated B777-200 in early April. According to the Seat Guru website, there are two 772 business class seating configurations used by American including one where every other window seat in business faces to the rear. I'd much rather being facing forward.

Is American still operating the 772 with this configuration which includes rear facing window seats in business class? Looking at my seat assignment on the aa.com, the seat chart does not indicate which way the seat faces.

Thanks in advance.

JJeffrey Feb 4, 19 6:06 pm


Originally Posted by Smrtmom1 (Post 30739416)
I have the AA Citi Executive World Elite MasterCard, which does grant me Admirals Club access membership. I used to be OW Sapphire, but didn't fly enough last 2 years to maintain, so now I'm back to "member" status. Hopefully this year, with multiple trips to England planned, that will change.

And I want to make sure that I understand, I CAN go into the Admirals Club after security, and they have showers. And unless we upgrade to Business or First (which we may still do...haven't purchased tickets yet), then we can NOT use the arrivals lounge. Is that correct?

I'm sorry to have so many questions, as I said, the whole international lounge access issues are new to me. Thank you again.

I know I also have complimentary membership to Priority Pass locations with my Hilton card, and have found one in our terminal at LHR. But I wasn't sure which lounges I had access to on the AA side.
Thank you again!

When you arrive at LHR you will not have any lounge access, unless you upgrade to business class, at which point you could access the Arrivals Lounge. The Admirals Club is airside in the departures hall at LHR T3, and you need a valid onward boarding pass to access this area. So you can access the Admirals Club anytime you are departing LHR T3, just not arriving.

JJeffrey Feb 4, 19 6:16 pm


Originally Posted by jlemon (Post 30739861)
I will be flying from LHR to DFW in business class on board an AA operated B777-200 in early April. According to the Seat Guru website, there are two 772 business class seating configurations used by American including one where every other window seat in business faces to the rear. I'd much rather being facing forward.

Is American still operating the 772 with this configuration which includes rear facing window seats in business class? Looking at my seat assignment on the aa.com, the seat chart does not indicate which way the seat faces.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, AA still operates the foward/backward config in business class on some of the 772's (and has no current plans to update these planes). Unfortunately you will not know which config you're set to be on until around 24-48 hrs before the flight, until then all seatmaps appear as the 100% forward facing config. The below thread/wiki has all the details...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...77-2019-a.html

MCIdave Feb 4, 19 7:30 pm

I'm flying
NRT-ORD-DFW-DEN in J next week

From what I see AA pretty purposely blocks any saver space in all cabins 2 weeks prior to departure (I'll still check daily though to try and change prior). Is there any way to same day change/standby for a fee to get the ORD-DEN direct as a worst case? Any tips or tricks or something I"m missing?

I see their rules here are pretty strict on changes. Surely if the plane leaves with empty seats it would make business sense to take a fee and put a standby butt in the seat for the direct?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp

elhombre Feb 4, 19 9:00 pm

business class availability with points
 
I usually book my flights to europe in economy for me and my family, especially with points. However I am going to london by myself for work, and I really want to book a business or first class flight from PHX to LHR. I am not finding any nonstop in business for early May, only in economy. To be frank, some of these connections suck, with layovers for 6-7 hours.... is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

JJeffrey Feb 5, 19 4:45 am


Originally Posted by elhombre (Post 30740298)
I usually book my flights to europe in economy for me and my family, especially with points. However I am going to london by myself for work, and I really want to book a business or first class flight from PHX to LHR. I am not finding any nonstop in business for early May, only in economy. To be frank, some of these connections suck, with layovers for 6-7 hours.... is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

This is completely normal with AA, they are very, very stingy with premium award availability to Europe, especially on AA metal. And May is getting into peak season to Europe, it's definitely unrealistic to expect the "perfect" award routing on the nonstop flight in business. In fact I'd consider yourself lucky if you are able to find any routing in business sAAver to LHR on AA metal that is even close to your dates, even with a 6-7 hr connection. I'd grab that now and keep checking over the coming months to see if anything better opens up.

elhombre Feb 5, 19 6:19 am


Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30741134)
This is completely normal with AA, they are very, very stingy with premium award availability to Europe, especially on AA metal. And May is getting into peak season to Europe, it's definitely unrealistic to expect the "perfect" award routing on the nonstop flight in business. In fact I'd consider yourself lucky if you are able to find any routing in business sAAver to LHR on AA metal that is even close to your dates, even with a 6-7 hr connection. I'd grab that now and keep checking over the coming months to see if anything better opens up.

thanks for this. I'm wondering if any other airline is better? Do they wait until the last minute to release flights? I've never flown business or first class before, except domestic flights.

JJeffrey Feb 5, 19 7:08 am


Originally Posted by elhombre (Post 30741352)
thanks for this. I'm wondering if any other airline is better? Do they wait until the last minute to release flights? I've never flown business or first class before, except domestic flights.

AA has all sorts of random award space release patterns. If you can book 10-11 months out, then you might find a few seats here and there. In the peak summer season to Europe, availability between about 10 months out to 1 month out is generally pretty terrible, which is exactly when you're looking now. AA sometimes releases random batches of premium award space, its always completely unpredictable and tends to be gobbled up pretty quickly. Once you get within a month, you might see a few more seats open up, but again it's unpredictable and traveling in May peak season will hurt your chances (if you were traveling in Sep-Nov or Jan-Mar then your chances would be much better of last minute space opening up).

As to other airlines, you will typically see a lot more first and business award space on BA to LHR, but of course this comes with the ripoff fuel surcharges. If you can get any United miles, availability is generally much better using UA in premium cabins to/from Europe as there are tons more options using *Alliance.

elhombre Feb 5, 19 7:55 am

thank you! I have quite a few points, but not as much knowledge regarding booking business flights to europe. I read that lufthansa is great for last minute as well. I guess I could always chance it and get a economy flight at the last minute if things dont work out.

JJeffrey Feb 5, 19 8:07 am


Originally Posted by elhombre (Post 30741625)
thank you! I have quite a few points, but not as much knowledge regarding booking business flights to europe. I read that lufthansa is great for last minute as well. I guess I could always chance it and get a economy flight at the last minute if things dont work out.

If you are ok with economy class as your fall-back option, then you're much better off to book that now. Assuming your origin and destination don't change, switching from an economy class award to a business class award is a no-fee change. So book a good economy sAAver routing now to get something nailed down, then keep an eye on things, if you do find a business sAAver you can call AA and switch for no fee, just the additional miles.

MCIdave Feb 5, 19 6:30 pm


Originally Posted by elhombre (Post 30740298)
I usually book my flights to europe in economy for me and my family, especially with points. However I am going to london by myself for work, and I really want to book a business or first class flight from PHX to LHR. I am not finding any nonstop in business for early May, only in economy. To be frank, some of these connections suck, with layovers for 6-7 hours.... is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

AA does something that's called "married segments" (google it. I say google it only because I can't really come up with good examples to explain it like others have). My thoughts are they want to make it so inconvenient for people to redeem miles that they don't. I'm really jaded though.

whostolemycookie Feb 7, 19 3:43 am

Gold Challenge
 
So I'm doing the gold challenge and I'm only missing about $200 EQDs to get the gold status. I have a HKG-LAX flight coming up next which will complete the EQD req.
Any idea if I can get any gold benefits, or possibly get on an upgrade list for the HKG-LAX flight?

SJWarrior Feb 7, 19 5:22 am

Iíve googled the upgrade with points charts and some blogs. But Iíll ask here since I was still hoping. Iím only plat, can I upgrade discount Econ to J with points and cash on an international itinerary?

JJeffrey Feb 7, 19 6:59 am


Originally Posted by whostolemycookie (Post 30749444)
So I'm doing the gold challenge and I'm only missing about $200 EQDs to get the gold status. I have a HKG-LAX flight coming up next which will complete the EQD req.
Any idea if I can get any gold benefits, or possibly get on an upgrade list for the HKG-LAX flight?

Unfortunately AA won't give you any Gold benefits until you actually meet the challenge and your status is updated. But you don't need to be an elite to get on the upgrade list, a HKG-LAX upgrade from discount economy to business is 25k miles + $350 copay. You need to call AA to get added to the waitlist.

JJeffrey Feb 7, 19 7:02 am


Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 30749568)
Iíve googled the upgrade with points charts and some blogs. But Iíll ask here since I was still hoping. Iím only plat, can I upgrade discount Econ to J with points and cash on an international itinerary?

I just mentioned it in the post above, but you don't need any certain status with AA to upgrade an international flight with miles/co-pay. You don't say where you're going, but all long haul international routes are 25k miles + $350 to upgrade from discount economy/premium economy to business.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:10 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.