FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Jan 21, 19 8:20 am

Originally Posted by shimps1 (Post 30680244)
A question of opinion for the ORD lounge regulars here. I have asked this somewhat indirectly before, but would like a couple opinions.

I have DSM>ORD on one ticket, in economy, connecting to ORD>DOH, on a separate ticket, in J. I arrive ORD at 2:04PM and depart at 6:10PM. Since I am in international J, I have the option to use the Flagship lounge. However, I will need to leave the secure area, collect my bags, go to T5 check in with QR, then head back to T3, go through security assuming they let me, and then access the lounge. Then I would have to get back to T5 for my flight. Given I have a significant amount of time, is that effort worth it? Or should I use the T5 lounge that QR contracts, I think it is the Air France one? I also have Priority Pass that I can use.

The problem with ORD at the moment is that the landside train between T3 and T5 is shut down with the only option being shuttle buses.

So basically you need to claim your bags at T3, take the shuttle to T5, check in with QR, take the shuttle back to T3, clear security, use the Flagship Lounge, then leave with enough time to take the airside shuttle back to T5. I haven't used it yet however from reports on here the airside shuttle is less than reliable.

I have a similar connection to QR in 3 weeks at ORD and contemplating the same thing. However I'm leaning towards just chilling in T5 once I get there, to me it's much more relaxing to have 2.5 hrs in a lesser lounge than 30 mins in a nicer lounge but with tons of back and forth hassle and shuttle bus uncertainty.

puchong Jan 21, 19 8:59 pm

If an award ticket is issued for a non-status passenger using miles from an EXP's AAdvantage account and if that ticket is subsequently canceled, are there any fees for re-depositing those miles?

JJeffrey Jan 22, 19 4:44 am

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 30684157)
If an award ticket is issued for a non-status passenger using miles from an EXP's AAdvantage account and if that ticket is subsequently canceled, are there any fees for re-depositing those miles?

Nope, no fee to cancel and redeposit miles for any award that comes from an EXP's account.

justsawaufo Jan 22, 19 2:32 pm

Hi All,

For flights operated by BA with AA code-share? Do I get less EQD/EQM if I book a ticket on BA.com vs AA.com?

JJeffrey Jan 22, 19 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by justsawaufo (Post 30687468)
Hi All,

For flights operated by BA with AA code-share? Do I get less EQD/EQM if I book a ticket on BA.com vs AA.com?

With AA it doesn't matter at all where you book it, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on. So an AA codeshare operated by BA will earn the exact same EQM/EQD if purchased at BA.com as AA.com.

justsawaufo Jan 22, 19 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30687505)
With AA it doesn't matter at all where you book it, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on. So an AA codeshare operated by BA will earn the exact same EQM/EQD if purchased at BA.com as AA.com.

So if one itinerary says:

British Airways 231London (LHR)3:50pmTerminal: 5http://media.expedia.com/media/conte...t/[email protected]Washington (IAD)7:15pmCabin: Business (I)
8h 25m duration

and the other:
https://www.aa.com/content/images/ca...logo-24x24.gif 6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways

then https://www.aa.com/content/images/ca...logo-24x24.gif 6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways will earn more EQD/EQMs right?

JJeffrey Jan 22, 19 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by justsawaufo (Post 30687522)
So if one itinerary says:

British Airways 231London (LHR)3:50pmTerminal: 5http://media.expedia.com/media/conte...t/[email protected]Washington (IAD)7:15pmCabin: Business (I)
8h 25m duration

and the other:
https://www.aa.com/content/images/ca...logo-24x24.gif 6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways

then https://www.aa.com/content/images/ca...logo-24x24.gif 6167 American AirlinesOperated by British Airways will earn more EQD/EQMs right?

EQM earning will be the same between AA and BA ('I' booking codes earn 2x EQM on both).

EQD earning will depend entirely on what the fare is as to which will earn more. An 'I' fare on a BA flight number earns 25% flight distance as EQD (so ~3677mi x 25% = $919 EQD). On an AA flight number you will earn whatever the fare actually is. If the base fare + carrier surcharges is $2000, then you'd earn $2000 EQD, and so on.

goose240 Jan 23, 19 10:16 am

Upgrade procedures

As I was walking through the cabin to my seat, I saw few open seats in first and that got me wondering about the upgrade availability, so I went to expert flyer. This is what I saw:

AA2: F5 A4 J1 D1

Doesnt this mean there are 5 seats available in first for upgrades?

Why weren’t people upgraded or does it just not show up?

JJeffrey Jan 23, 19 11:36 am

Originally Posted by goose240 (Post 30690917)
As I was walking through the cabin to my seat, I saw few open seats in first and that got me wondering about the upgrade availability, so I went to expert flyer. This is what I saw:

AA2: F5 A4 J1 D1

Doesnt this mean there are 5 seats available in first for upgrades?

Why weren’t people upgraded or does it just not show up?

That means there were 5 available seats in First (F5) with 4 available for upgrades (A4). For 3 class flights like this, upgrades to first class are only available for those that purchased business and only using a SWU or miles/copay (i.e. there are no "free" elite sticker upgrades from J to F). So it's entirely probable and likely that the few upgrade requests had already been processed and F would go out with empty seats (or non-revs).

wobbly wings Jan 23, 19 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30685232)
Nope, no fee to cancel and redeposit miles for any award that comes from an EXP's account.

Sorry for jumping in but have a related query. Is the time of the status determining the waiver the one at the time of ticketing the award or at the time of the cancellation? I assume the latter - is that correct?

In other words is the fee waived for an EXP making the reservation (for someone else) and calling to cancel even if by that time he is now down to PLAT? And how about a PLAT ticketing the award for someone else and then cancelling when she is now EXP?

JJeffrey Jan 23, 19 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by wobbly wings (Post 30691951)
Sorry for jumping in but have a related query. Is the time of the status determining the waiver the one at the time of ticketing the award or at the time of the cancellation? I assume the latter - is that correct?

In other words is the fee waived for an EXP making the reservation (for someone else) and calling to cancel even if by that time he is now down to PLAT? And how about a PLAT ticketing the award for someone else and then cancelling when she is now EXP?

All that matters is your status at the time you call to cancel/redeposit. If you're EXP then then no fee, doesn't matter what your status was when you booked the ticket.

gardener Jan 24, 19 6:28 am

Convert 500 mile upgrades to miles?

Does AA still offer you the option to convert unused 500 mile upgrades to miles? Does one have to call to do that or is it automatic? Two of my family members got the offer to upgrade to Platinum thru May 2019 and it came with 20 upgrades.

JDiver Jan 24, 19 7:49 am

Originally Posted by gardener (Post 30694362)
Does AA still offer you the option to convert unused 500 mile upgrades to miles? Does one have to call to do that or is it automatic? Two of my family members got the offer to upgrade to Platinum thru May 2019 and it came with 20 upgrades.

Nope.

arlflyer Jan 24, 19 1:21 pm

I cannot find mention of this anywhere on the net, yet I cannot truly believe that it has not come up yet if it is in fact a "thing", so posting here...

Last couple times thru MIA I have been seated in an exit row. At the gate, in addition to the verbal acceptance of exit row requirements, I have been required to scan my BP a second time. The GA this last time noted that this is something that has been done at MIA for "at least three years".

I have not encountered this anywhere else...if it pertains to exit row seating, presumably it would be for regulatory compliance and thus not just specific to any single airport. Has anyone else run into this? I fee like I am crazy.

Nile_US Jan 24, 19 2:05 pm

In the SWU giveaway thread, some people say make sure you have "conformable space". Does that mean they want to check availability? If yes, how do I check that? I don't have expertflyer.

JDiver Jan 24, 19 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nile_US (Post 30696336)
In the SWU giveaway thread, some people say make sure you have "conformable space". Does that mean they want to check availability? If yes, how do I check that? I don't have expertflyer.

The SWU donor wants to feel assured the SWU will actually be used, rather than merely waitlisted and lost. Confirmable upgrade space could be ascertained by using ExpertFlyer (which offers free trials) or by calling AA.

Nile_US Jan 24, 19 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30696374)
The SWU donor wants to feel assured the SWU will actually be used, rather than merely waitlisted and lost. Confirmable upgrade space could be ascertained by using ExpertFlyer (which offers free trials) or by calling AA.

I completely understand. But, if I call AA and say I know someone who is willing to donate his/her SWU to me, will that be a problem? How do I get that information from AA without violating any policies, if any?

Thanks.

JJeffrey Jan 24, 19 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Nile_US (Post 30696778)
I completely understand. But, if I call AA and say I know someone who is willing to donate his/her SWU to me, will that be a problem? How do I get that information from AA without violating any policies, if any?

Thanks.

You're not violating any policies by calling AA and asking if there is upgrade space, and it is perfectly fine for members to donate SWUs to anyone they choose.

Nile_US Jan 24, 19 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30697240)
You're not violating any policies by calling AA and asking if there is upgrade space, and it is perfectly fine for members to donate SWUs to anyone they choose.

Thanks for the quick response.

Steph G. Jan 24, 19 8:18 pm

PHX-ORD Business Class Seats

Hello, I usually only read the BA forum, so please excuse my ignorance in this forum. Is there a thread here that would show what kind of seats AA has in business class on flights from PHX-ORD? I was able to use some Avios to book a round trip flight in business this summer and just wondered what the seating was like. Thank you in advance. (I did try to search and couldn’t find a thread about this. I believe the plane will be a 737.)

JDiver Jan 24, 19 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Steph G. (Post 30697582)
Hello, I usually only read the BA forum, so please excuse my ignorance in this forum. Is there a thread here that would show what kind of seats AA has in business class on flights from PHX-ORD? I was able to use some Avios to book a round trip flight in business this summer and just wondered what the seating was like. Thank you in advance. (I did try to search and couldn’t find a thread about this. I believe the plane will be a 737.)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-ife-etc.html

and more specifically, for the 737 types, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...7-max-8-a.html.

Shadowfactor Jan 25, 19 10:48 pm

Do AA Gold or Platinum get their choice of Seat when flying AA Marketed but British Airways Operated flights for Basic Economy Fares ?

I read the AA disclaimer that Basic Economy must pay for seat selection but then it goes on to say that British Airways has their own rules for Seating and boarding.
It lists that as a benefit of OW Ruby or Sapphire for seat selection.

Does that apply for a companion as well if they are listed on the same PNR

Flyertalker1 Jan 26, 19 5:16 am

Question re: checked baggage cutoff and gate check.

have not checked baggage in over a decade, forgot the window was 45 minutes roughly for cutoff.

wasnt thinking and went to check-in counter and they auto rebooked me on standby for alter flight.

wouldnt it have been easier to just Gate check luggage? Flight and connection were both light loads.

Thinking getting pushed back to a alter standby flight wasn’t worth it.

JJeffrey Jan 26, 19 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Flyertalker1 (Post 30702640)
Question re: checked baggage cutoff and gate check.

have not checked baggage in over a decade, forgot the window was 45 minutes roughly for cutoff.

wasnt thinking and went to check-in counter and they auto rebooked me on standby for alter flight.

wouldnt it have been easier to just Gate check luggage? Flight and connection were both light loads.

Thinking getting pushed back to a alter standby flight wasn’t worth it.

If your bag would have made it through TSA (i.e. small enough to fit through the x-ray and no large liquids) then yea, you could have easily gone straight to the gate and check-it there to bypass the 45 minute cutoff.

JockBossBob Jan 26, 19 6:17 am

Hi, I cant find how many miles a Premium cabin flight would earn, is there a chart or equation anywhere please?
It's specifically for LAX-AKL return for a newbie, no AAdvantage membership, miles or anything (yet) it's usually Delta.
Thanks

Shadowfactor Jan 26, 19 6:33 am

Originally Posted by JockBossBob (Post 30702754)
Hi, I cant find how many miles a Premium cabin flight would earn, is there a chart or equation anywhere please?
It's specifically for LAX-AKL return for a newbie, no AAdvantage membership, miles or anything (yet) it's usually Delta.
Thanks

If you signup for an AAdvantage account and login while doing the booking. It will display everything just before coming to the payments page.

guv1976 Jan 26, 19 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30702780)
If you signup for an AAdvantage account and login while doing the booking. It will display everything just before coming to the payments page.

Of course, it's also possible to credit AA flights to some other FFP, like BA or Iberia. The aa.com website shows the mileage accrual rates for each of AA's partner airlines.

JDiver Jan 26, 19 8:19 am

Originally Posted by JockBossBob (Post 30702754)
Thanks

First, you can see AA miles accrual here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

You can learn about accrual on AA and partners here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

And you can learn how to earn AA Gold or Platinum Elite status via a Status Challenge shortcut here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html

Be sure to read the Wikiposts at the top of the page in the two FlyerTalk threads.

Youncan see fairly accurately the miles flown here: Great Circle Mapper

JockBossBob Jan 26, 19 9:33 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30703030)
First, you can see AA miles accrual here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Ah, got it, thanks folks - from that link it appears that miles earned are based solely on the $$$'s spent, not the miles flown nor the cabin class, pity. I was demented searching for that last night, Thanks.

JDiver Jan 26, 19 9:57 am

Originally Posted by JockBossBob (Post 30703267)
Ah, got it, thanks folks - from that link it appears that miles earned are based solely on the $$$'s spent, not the miles flown nor the cabin class, pity. I was demented searching for that last night, Thanks.

Flying AA on a normal (not special, e.g. AA Vacations, etc. - you might check AA Vaca to determine if you’d save significantly using them for at least three hotel overnights) fare, EQD are based on your base fare plus carrier imposed fees.

EQ Miles are earned based on distance (miles flown) and fare class.

Award miles are based on passenger status and dollars spent, again base fare and carrier imposed fees.

JockBossBob Jan 26, 19 2:35 pm

Thanks again, good tip on the AA vaca site, it didn't go up much for 3 nights 4* but I couldn't get it to come down - hey ho.
EQ anything was not really of interest, a domestic A->B is 12.5k miles and (@x5) a base fare of $1650 = 8250 miles. I was kinda hopeful of miles flown (11,200) x a factor to get over the 12.5k

dingo Jan 27, 19 12:41 pm

If I buy a ticket through AA vacations in coach can I request a mileage upgrade and / or a system wide upgrade (ExecPlat)?

JJeffrey Jan 27, 19 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 30707004)
If I buy a ticket through AA vacations in coach can I request a mileage upgrade and / or a system wide upgrade (ExecPlat)?

Yes, no different than if you purchased it at aa.com.

wobbly wings Jan 28, 19 8:21 pm

Had to cancel a reward itinerary (two one ways) for a friend who was joining me on a trip. Looks like I'd hit one of those new non-changeable reward fares. Was quoted 150USD to redeposit the miles. It was 17.5k; I guess it'll have to let it go and be more careful next time. I moved the return leg in the future hoping and might be able to cancel with no charge if I make it to EXP later this year.

I asked the agent if they would waive one of the two fees for redepositing the miles if I can cancel both. He said that as long as it's two record locators both 150USD fees are payable. I am surprised - I thought you could cancel more than one sector in one go for a reduced fee if they are all part of the same trip (same pax, same area, etc). Can anyone confirm the agent was right?

JDiver Jan 28, 19 11:07 pm

Should be $150+$25 if redepositing two awards from the same account, iirc.

wobbly wings Jan 29, 19 7:15 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30712954)
Should be $150+$25 if redepositing two awards from the same account, iirc.

Indeed, that was my recollection too. So I called again; the other AAgent restated that it's only $150+$25 if it's a further pax on the same RL, or a single pax on multiple sectors; but two RLs would attract 2x$150USD redeposit fee even for the same pax and even if the miles came from the same account. Still surprised...

bscooter26 Jan 29, 19 9:02 am

Hey all- If I buy a standard economy ticket and then successfully upgrade using miles, how are the EQD/EQM/EQS calculated? I assume it stays standard to the economy fare

MADPhil Jan 29, 19 9:10 am

Originally Posted by bscooter26 (Post 30714442)
Hey all- If I buy a standard economy ticket and then successfully upgrade using miles, how are the EQD/EQM/EQS calculated? I assume it stays standard to the economy fare

They will be based on the fare payed unless you upgrade by paying the fare difference.

sn2015 Jan 29, 19 2:24 pm

I want to book an one way flight from MIA to LAX on 12/21 with miles. There are flights available at 12,500 miles but their departure time doesn't work for me. There are better flights but at 50,000 miles. Should I continue to wait and hope they release more fligh in the coming months?

JJeffrey Jan 29, 19 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by sn2015 (Post 30715836)
I want to book an one way flight from MIA to LAX on 12/21 with miles. There are flights available at 12,500 miles but their departure time doesn't work for me. There are better flights but at 50,000 miles. Should I continue to wait and hope they release more fligh in the coming months?

December is still eons away, definitely a chance that other options will open up before then. AA offers free date and time changes on awards, so you could always book one of the flights for 12.5k now to at least have something, then keep watching it and switch to a better option should it open up.