FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Shadowfactor Mar 29, 2019 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Lefleur (Post 30943367)
Dumb question:

I had Gold status on American (I don't normally fly American these days though I do fly a lot for work) through January but have since "lost" my status. I'm Platinum with United and Gold with Delta, FWIW. Last year I did about 100,000 EQM on United (I didn't hit the spend to get 1K, womp womp) so that was my primary carrier/alliance for 2018.

I need to buy a series of tickets for this summer and AA/AA codeshares are coming up as the best options, but I won't get any benefits as if I flew UA or DL (lounge access, etc. -- these are international long-haul tickets).

AA has offered to let me 'buy back' my gold status for $650. I also have 14 500-mile upgrades sitting in my AA account that I can't use unless I am elite (I have ~250,000 AA miles at the moment).

I am thinking of instead asking for a status match. Has anyone successfully done a status match based upon UA or DL status?

Would it be better to buy back gold rather than to do a status match?

Does anyone know the status match challenge requirements for various categories? Would rather not "burn" a status match if I should just buy my gold back and then save status match for when I *really* think I need/want to use it (because you can only do it once, right?)?

Thanks!

american does things differently when it comes to status matches.
Unless you are a DM/1K then you will the offered the standard pay to play match.

$100 for Gold challenge with no status 7.5K EQM 1K EQD
$200 for Platinum challenge with no status 12.5K EQM 2K EQD

You can pay extra to have trial status of either Gold/Platinum while you complete the challenge.

Its $500 for Platinum challenge with Platinum status.

I believe you can get 2 status exceptions(challenge or buy back/up) every 5 years but I’m not 100% about this.

iflyalexair Mar 29, 2019 7:50 pm

Flying HEL-LHR-JFK on AA miles. The HEL-LHR segment is in Y on AY, but the connection is on AA in J.

Will I have club access in HEL?

SpammersAreScum Mar 29, 2019 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lefleur (Post 30943367)
Dumb question:

I had Gold status on American (I don't normally fly American these days though I do fly a lot for work) through January but have since "lost" my status. I'm Platinum with United and Gold with Delta, FWIW. Last year I did about 100,000 EQM on United (I didn't hit the spend to get 1K, womp womp) so that was my primary carrier/alliance for 2018.

I need to buy a series of tickets for this summer and AA/AA codeshares are coming up as the best options, but I won't get any benefits as if I flew UA or DL (lounge access, etc. -- these are international long-haul tickets).

AA has offered to let me 'buy back' my gold status for $650. I also have 14 500-mile upgrades sitting in my AA account that I can't use unless I am elite (I have ~250,000 AA miles at the moment).

I am thinking of instead asking for a status match. Has anyone successfully done a status match based upon UA or DL status?

Would it be better to buy back gold rather than to do a status match?

Does anyone know the status match challenge requirements for various categories? Would rather not "burn" a status match if I should just buy my gold back and then save status match for when I *really* think I need/want to use it (because you can only do it once, right?)?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 30943638)

american does things differently when it comes to status matches.
Unless you are a DM/1K then you will the offered the standard pay to play match.

$100 for Gold challenge with no status 7.5K EQM 1K EQD
$200 for Platinum challenge with no status 12.5K EQM 2K EQD

You can pay extra to have trial status of either Gold/Platinum while you complete the challenge.

Its $500 for Platinum challenge with Platinum status.

I believe you can get 2 status exceptions(challenge or buy back/up) every 5 years but I’m not 100% about this.

Also, the cost of a challenge depends on whether you do it before or after Jul 01. See the Gold and Platinum Status Challenge thread. Yes, it appears the "rule" is 2 every 5 years, but of course like everything else related to Challenges it is unwritten and subject to change.

Blueskyheaven Mar 29, 2019 9:44 pm

Do you get Etihad bus service between AUH- to Dubai for any flight booked with Aadvantage miles? Do you get free checked bags on this on coach award?? What's the tips/tricks to get 3 J seats for travel from 3rd week of December for a week. ORD- AUH and return around Dec 30th. We are a couple and small child. Thanks

tracon Mar 30, 2019 1:56 am

Last year I asked this question:

"Admirals Club Access Question.
I would be flying Canada - Central America. Paid Business Class.
There would be connections in one or two AA hubs.
Spend the night in a hotel continue to destination.
Return the same way.
Do I get club for all segments of just the one from USA-Central America.?"

The result,
Southbound Club access no problem.
On the return, we had a connection in DFW to ORD. Access no problem.
The next morning, went to the club in ORD for the last segment to Canada.
Question 1. Which one of you has club membership? A. None of us.
Question 2. Are you using your AS status to get access?
A. We don't have AS status. We're on an international ticket.
Much key punching ensued, then we were given invitations to the Flagship lounge.

ckn2 Mar 30, 2019 11:29 pm

Has AA changed their mind on offering a complimentary upgrade to PE for EXP?
TATL flight this morning had W3 available but I was still unable to see the option either on the app or website. When I inquired at the airport, I was told by the check-in agent that no more comp upgrades offered.

danhunterpost Mar 31, 2019 7:58 am

Flying ORD to HND in F (JFK>HND on JL) connecting @ JFK. Will I have lounge access at ORD? If so, what lounge?

I do not hold any One World Status.

Thanks.

NYC Flyer Mar 31, 2019 8:38 am

Originally Posted by danhunterpost (Post 30948858)
Flying ORD to HND in F (JFK>HND on JL) connecting @ JFK. Will I have lounge access at ORD? If so, what lounge?

Yes--AA Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge or BA lounge. If convenient/time-permitting, the Flagship is probably most appealing option. Otherwise, pick the Admirals Club closest to your gate.

JimboandtheJetset Mar 31, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi
I am travelling this week with my young family, in Y, connecting international to domestic at ORD. I have two hours for the connection: given that we are not US citizens and have no pre-check, and the kids will probably need the bathroom, etc I am aware that we won't be getting through immigration or T3 security particularly quickly. So I'd like to do what I can to make things easier and with that in mind I was wondering how best to get seats nearer the front of the first flight (so we're closer to the front of the immigration queue). We have been allocated seats in row 31 and I can see blocks of 4 empty further forward but don't have the budget to pay. Do these become free (in the money sense) at T-24 when check in opens? If not, am I right in thinking that I should instead delay checking in until the airport (but arrive there as early as possible) and ask there?

Thanks in advance

JDiver Mar 31, 2019 9:57 pm

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JimboandtheJetset (Post 30950253)
Hi
I am travelling this week with my young family, in Y, connecting international to domestic at ORD. I have two hours for the connection: given that we are not US citizens and have no pre-check, and the kids will probably need the bathroom, etc I am aware that we won't be getting through immigration or T3 security particularly quickly. So I'd like to do what I can to make things easier and with that in mind I was wondering how best to get seats nearer the front of the first flight (so we're closer to the front of the immigration queue). We have been allocated seats in row 31 and I can see blocks of 4 empty further forward but don't have the budget to pay. Do these become free (in the money sense) at T-24 when check in opens? If not, am I right in thinking that I should instead delay checking in until the airport (but arrive there as early as possible) and ask there?

Thanks in advance

Regardless of what you do, two hours connection from international to domestic at ORD is very tight with kids, and moreso if you arrive late. You arrive in the international terminal, probably have a longish walk, process immigration, retrieve your baggage, process customs, recheck baggage just outside of customs.

From there to the train to the AA terminal 3, check in if you don’t have boarding passes, process security, go to the next gate. Three hours is considered a better connection time.

AA will put you on the next flight with available seats. That’s the good news and the bad news, because there may or not be available seats on the next flight.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ction-etc.html, particularly the Wikipost st the top of the page.

JimboandtheJetset Apr 1, 2019 7:20 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30951059)
Regardless of what you do, two hours connection from international to domestic at ORD is very tight with kids, and moreso if you arrive late. You arrive in the international terminal, probably have a longish walk, process immigration, retrieve your baggage, process customs, recheck baggage just outside of customs.

From there to the train to the AA terminal 3, check in if you don’t have boarding passes, process security, go to the next gate. Three hours is considered a better connection time.

AA will put you on the next flight with available seats. That’s the good news and the bad news, because there may or not be available seats on the next flight.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ction-etc.html, particularly the Wikipost st the top of the page.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, 2 hours is not what I would have chosen - it was slightly longer when I booked but flight time changes have knocked it down to this. I have contacted AA to ask if it's wise and they have said it's a legal connection so won't consider moving me (e.g. there's an earlier flight from LHR we could get).
​​Hence now trying to get every advantage I can with seats at the front of the cabin.

(I plan to log the time we disembark, join the immigration queue, join the security queue etc and use it, if I need to, as evidence of our best endeavours in any claim for EU261 compensation if we don't connect and are delayed by 3+ hours...)

rove312 Apr 1, 2019 7:46 am

As I read it, the train is shut down and replaced by a bus now, making this connection more difficult.

hightide Apr 1, 2019 3:01 pm

My redemption and re-deposit activity this year as a Barclay AA Aviator cardholder:

Jan 2019: Redeemed 75K AA miles. Got 10% AA cardholder refund: 7,500 miles
Mar 2019: Re-deposited 35K AA miles (ticket was originally booked in 2018). 10% AA cardholder perk reversed -3,500 miles.

Considering the above, if I book a 60K AA mile award flight this month, will I get 6K AA miles back or just 2.5K AA miles?

swag Apr 1, 2019 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by meta99 (Post 30936045)
Booking 2 award tickets for Jan 2020. I need 25k miles from my husband's account to cover. Any free way to do this?

Originally Posted by meta99 (Post 30936089)
These are one way tickets to position for a cruise leaving from SCL and going to EZE.

Assuming coach, that's 30K per person each way.

Instead of using 120K miles from your account for the tickets - and it sounds like your short - you could use 90K from yours for 3 of the 1 ways and 30K from his for the 4th.

No transfers necessary, no fees.

shimps1 Apr 2, 2019 9:26 am

Originally Posted by rove312 (Post 30952202)
As I read it, the train is shut down and replaced by a bus now, making this connection more difficult.

This is true, but having been through this T3<>T5 back in February on DSM>ORD>DOH>SEZ and the reverse, it really is not tough. Maybe a 15 minute total process to leave terminal, wait for bus, drive, get off. Bigger issue is re-clearing security.