FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Ceres Jan 8, 19 9:50 am


Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30627485)
ALL AA awards are one way; even what appears to be a round trip on one PNR is actually two one way awards. You can book SOF-LHR any way you wish, just give yourself plenty of connection time at LHR.

Thanks, when I tried the SOF to LHR to MCO with the stopover in LHR. The saver awards on AA metal disappeared. Must be part of that married logic stuff you guys keep talking about.

c2183rdcav Jan 8, 19 10:07 am

Upgrade
 
I will be using my AA miles for an economy ticket x 2. After I purchase using miles, can I buy an up grade into premium economy?

Will

JDiver Jan 8, 19 11:46 am


Originally Posted by c2183rdcav (Post 30627586)
I will be using my AA miles for an economy ticket x 2. After I purchase using miles, can I buy an up grade into premium economy?

Will

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Generally, no. The usual way to upgrade is to actually exchange for an award in the higher class of service. AA doesn’t charge redeposit or change fees for that.

And unfortunately, AA currently doesn’t offer Premium Economy awards. Some of us believe that will change toward the end of the year, when all AA widebodies (other than the retiring A330-300 and 767 aircraft) are retrofitted with PE.

There’s a chance cash upgrades might be offered the day of departure at the counters or kiosks.

Mwenenzi Jan 8, 19 12:04 pm


Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 30627518)
Thanks, when I tried the SOF to LHR to MCO with the stopover in LHR. The saver awards on AA metal disappeared. Must be part of that married logic stuff you guys keep talking about.

How long in LHR were you trying for? AA does not allow stopovers onwards. The most you can have is 23:59 transit. (may just be terminology re stopover layover transit)

kaydee7 Jan 8, 19 10:08 pm

I did do a search (maybe not well), but has anyone actually compared the bulkhead to non-bulkhead seats in PE for AA. Seatguru always cautions them for having no underseat storage. However I can't siphon through any more distinguishers or people who made a direct comparison.

JDiver Jan 8, 19 10:23 pm

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kaydee7 (Post 30630394)
I did do a search (maybe not well), but has anyone actually compared the bulkhead to non-bulkhead seats in PE for AA. Seatguru always cautions them for having no underseat storage. However I can't siphon through any more distinguishers or people who made a direct comparison.

This will vary in accordance to aircraft, of course. But most, if not all, PE seats are very much the same, the Rockwell Collins MiQ seat. Bulkhead seats have extensible leg rests, whilst non-bulkhead seats basically have a foot rest.

AA Rockwell Collins MiQ bulkhead seat

AA Rockwell Collins MiQ non-bulkhead seat

ClayPot Jan 8, 19 11:28 pm


Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30626570)
Yep, $150 for the first award redeposited to your account, and $25 for each additional award redeposited to the same account at the same time.

thanks!

Ceres Jan 9, 19 6:04 am


Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30628132)
How long in LHR were you trying for? AA does not allow stopovers onwards. The most you can have is 23:59 transit. (may just be terminology re stopover layover transit)

Yes, I labeled it wrong. Two days is what I was shooting for. When I tried to do the multi-city. It showed me saver award on BA for the SOF to LHR leg, but for the LHR to MCO leg, it has only BA metal for the TATL leg on a saver. Not on AA metal.
When I did individually it has saver award on BA from SOF to LHR. And when I did the one way from LHR to MCO. I got the Sunday return on AA metal avoiding some of the taxes.

sorry about the confusion

JDiver Jan 9, 19 8:26 am


Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 30631326)
Yes, I labeled it wrong. Two days is what I was shooting for. When I tried to do the multi-city. It showed me saver award on BA for the SOF to LHR leg, but for the LHR to MCO leg, it has only BA metal for the TATL leg on a saver. Not on AA metal.
When I did individually it has saver award on BA from SOF to LHR. And when I did the one way from LHR to MCO. I got the Sunday return on AA metal avoiding some of the taxes.

sorry about the confusion

Booking on AA you did not avoid any taxes. You avoided BA’s onerous YQ “carrier imposed fees”.

You will however have to pay the U.K. Air Passenger Duty (a tax) for originating (not connecting under 23:59) from the U.K.

VegasGambler Jan 9, 19 11:56 pm

Flying SFO - LAX - LHR on AA, LGW - MLA on BA. It's a single award ticket (with AA miles). The connection in London is under 12 hr but overnight. I'll be getting a hotel room for the night. What's the process regarding checked bags? I assume I have to pick them up in LHR to clear customs / immigration and enter England. Will I have my checked bags with me at the hotel or will I have to drop them back off before I leave LHR?

JJeffrey Jan 10, 19 4:51 am


Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30635332)
Flying SFO - LAX - LHR on AA, LGW - MLA on BA. It's a single award ticket (with AA miles). The connection in London is under 12 hr but overnight. I'll be getting a hotel room for the night. What's the process regarding checked bags? I assume I have to pick them up in LHR to clear customs / immigration and enter England. Will I have my checked bags with me at the hotel or will I have to drop them back off before I leave LHR?

No, AA will just tag your bag to LHR, you will collect it at LHR and take it with you to the hotel, then check it in again with BA the next day at LGW.

Ceres Jan 10, 19 10:46 am

I'll try for this to be my last question on this trip. My Saver award take me two stops from MCO- ORD - CLT and then to RDU for the flight to LHR-SOF. Its on Hold. have to book book it soon.

Do you think a phone agent will let me just book the RDU-LHR-SOF and get to RDU on my own?

Thanks a lot.

JJeffrey Jan 10, 19 11:54 am


Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 30637179)
I'll try for this to be my last question on this trip. My Saver award take me two stops from MCO- ORD - CLT and then to RDU for the flight to LHR-SOF. Its on Hold. have to book book it soon.

Do you think a phone agent will let me just book the RDU-LHR-SOF and get to RDU on my own?

Thanks a lot.

With an award on hold, you can add or drop segments as much as you like without affecting other segments and without paying any fees or anything like that (*as long there is no married segment availability).

So as long as the MCO-ORD-CLT-RDU availability isn't married segment availability it will be no problem to drop the first 3 segments and just keep the RDU-LHR-SOF. Give AA a call and ask them to drop the first 3 segments and see what they say.

rendezvous Jan 10, 19 1:35 pm

My wife recently received an invitation for platinum pro status and the status will expire in May. We have a reservation in August and I was curious to know if she signed up for the status and picked seats in main cabin extra, would AA make us purchase the seats, or kick us out of the seats, upon losing her status? Thanks!

JJeffrey Jan 10, 19 1:47 pm


Originally Posted by rendezvous (Post 30637997)
My wife recently received an invitation for platinum pro status and the status will expire in May. We have a reservation in August and I was curious to know if she signed up for the status and picked seats in main cabin extra, would AA make us purchase the seats, or kick us out of the seats, upon losing her status? Thanks!

Once she activates her PLT Pro status, she can log-in to her reservation and select the MCE seats for no charge. You will not lose the seats unless there is a schedule change or other irrops that causes seats to be shuffled around, at which point you would have to pay to get them back (assuming her status expired by then).

atojbk Jan 10, 19 5:33 pm

Read the FAQ and couldn't see my question there I have platinum status til May (targeted email), if I book seats in the main cabin extra now but my flight is in July, will I still keep those seats? Obviously seating assignments are never guaranteed.

JJeffrey Jan 10, 19 6:18 pm


Originally Posted by atojbk (Post 30638993)
Read the FAQ and couldn't see my question there I have platinum status til May (targeted email), if I book seats in the main cabin extra now but my flight is in July, will I still keep those seats? Obviously seating assignments are never guaranteed.

The poster 2 posts above asked the exact same question and I answered it in the post directly above.

BrianWBrazil Jan 11, 19 2:03 am

What if I miss a connection due to security lines.
 
Hi there, on Sunday I will be connecting from LHR-JFK-GIG. The ticket reservation is a connection rather than separate. I'm worried about not making the connection due to TSA shortages (even though it is a four hour landing to take off). We have to collect and recheck bags. If we are stuck in lines, would AA put us on the next available flight and what duty of care should we expect? Thanks.

JJeffrey Jan 11, 19 4:53 am


Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil (Post 30640205)
Hi there, on Sunday I will be connecting from LHR-JFK-GIG. The ticket reservation is a connection rather than separate. I'm worried about not making the connection due to TSA shortages (even though it is a four hour landing to take off). We have to collect and recheck bags. If we are stuck in lines, would AA put us on the next available flight and what duty of care should we expect? Thanks.

4 hrs will be plenty even if there happens to be longer than average TSA lines. Should things go very wrong, AA will rebook you on another option to GIG. I wouldn't stress over this at all.

wobbly wings Jan 11, 19 5:11 am

Skipping one domestic segment in an international itinerary
I'll shortly be travelling internationally from Europe to the US. The return journey is 3 flights with 2 stops in the US before the international leg. I have now arranged to spend time close to the first of these stops and it would be convenient to start the return journey there. I assumed I'd have to get a one way flight to back to the origin of the return journey, and use all the vouchers in the ticket. Just to be sure: Is that really the case? Could I somehow liaise with AA and arrange to be no show on the first leg? If so, how would one do that? The ticket is AA stock mostly on AA metal but the leg I'd be interested in skipping is HA metal. Thanks.

JJeffrey Jan 11, 19 5:24 am


Originally Posted by wobbly wings (Post 30640519)
Skipping one domestic segment in an international itinerary
I'll shortly be travelling internationally from Europe to the US. The return journey is 3 flights with 2 stops in the US before the international leg. I have now arranged to spend time close to the first of these stops and it would be convenient to start the return journey there. I assumed I'd have to get a one way flight to back to the origin of the return journey, and use all the vouchers in the ticket. Just to be sure: Is that really the case? Could I somehow liaise with AA and arrange to be no show on the first leg? If so, how would one do that? The ticket is AA stock mostly on AA metal but the leg I'd be interested in skipping is HA metal. Thanks.

No, if you skip a segment in the middle of your itinerary all remaining segments will be cancelled. There's no way to liaise with AA or anything like that. The only thing you can do is call AA and have them change your itinerary to drop the one segment, of course this will result in the whole itinerary being repriced and you'd have to pay any change fees as well. Or just get a separate ticket back to the start of your return, like you mentioned.

milohoss Jan 11, 19 11:18 pm

These crazy 500 mile certs....
 
So... long time Delta Gold making a transition due to a move to an AA hub. I'm scared!!!

Anyway, these 500 mile certificates.

Question one: It's not possible to use any less than 2 of them because you always get the first 500mi free... right? So I can either use ZERO for a 400 mile flight or TWO for an 800 mile flight. It's not possible to use just one... is that right?

Question two: make me love these things. I'm used to being upgraded for free about 50% of the time on Delta. Paying with these certs sounds horrible. Convince me I'm wrong!

milohoss Jan 11, 19 11:24 pm

Questions on Credit Cards....
 
Okay! Long time Delta Gold moving to an AA hub - quite nervous.

My primary concern is status and getting upgrades. I have had Delta Gold for ages, made possible mostly by the Delta Amex card which waives you the need for a minimum dollar spend with the airline and also gives bonus elite qualifying miles. No such thing on AA, so that has me quite concerned. Now even the Aviator card has killed their measly $3000 dollar bonus for AA.

Does anyone forsee any card emerging that will help achieve status on AA? The best I can find is the 10K EQM bonus on the mastercard with the insane $450 annual fee. Is that really it?

NavSTL Jan 12, 19 12:31 am


Originally Posted by milohoss (Post 30644209)
So... long time Delta Gold making a transition due to a move to an AA hub. I'm scared!!!

Anyway, these 500 mile certificates.

Question one: It's not possible to use any less than 2 of them because you always get the first 500mi free... right? So I can either use ZERO for a 400 mile flight or TWO for an 800 mile flight. It's not possible to use just one... is that right?

Question two: make me love these things. I'm used to being upgraded for free about 50% of the time on Delta. Paying with these certs sounds horrible. Convince me I'm wrong!

One: for the elite flyer personally, yes, it'll either be zero or two-plus 500-mile upgrades (a/k/a "stickers") to upgrade (and as someone formerly based in STL, which is 550 miles from DFW and 1592 from LAX: ugh). Non-elite companions would burn one of the sponsor's stickers for a flight <500 miles. Back in the day, non-elites on full-fare tickets could also use stickers; not sure if that's the case anymore.

Two: theoretically, the benefit of sticker upgrades is that not EVERY elite in economy will be on the upgrade list--just those >=PRO and those who care enough to burn their ammo--so if an upgrade is important to you and not to those who'd otherwise be ahead of you, your chances are improved. Having never been based at a hub, I can't say firsthand what your upgrade chances would be at PLT level, but those tend to be AA elite-heavy markets and so competition for upgrades will be stiff, stickers or no stickers.

swag Jan 12, 19 7:06 am


Originally Posted by milohoss (Post 30644209)
So... long time Delta Gold making a transition due to a move to an AA hub. I'm scared!!!

Anyway, these 500 mile certificates.

Question one: It's not possible to use any less than 2 of them because you always get the first 500mi free... right? So I can either use ZERO for a 400 mile flight or TWO for an 800 mile flight. It's not possible to use just one... is that right?

Question two: make me love these things. I'm used to being upgraded for free about 50% of the time on Delta. Paying with these certs sounds horrible. Convince me I'm wrong!

You'll never use just one to upgrade yourself. But if you're traveling with a non-elite companion on a short flight, and upgrading you both with your status, then their upgrade won't be complimentary, so that will cost you one upgrade.

CalmKaren Jan 12, 19 7:32 am

Question about economy service onboard PHX-SJO
 
Quick question re economy service on flights PHX-SJO and return: on our AA itinerary it says "Lunch" (PHX-SJO) and "Breakfast" (SJO-PHX) but on the aa website it only mentions "for sale" food in economy (except for Hawaii and Trans-continental) - are lunch and breakfast served free on these flights in economy or only for sale?
Thanks.

Jbro121 Jan 12, 19 3:17 pm

AA SWU
 
When does AA typically release SWUs on flights?

777lover Jan 12, 19 6:56 pm

Pretty much anytime. U didn’t say what route u were looking at, but the internationals — depending on loss — have. A history of opening around 35-24 hours out. But this is by no means guaranteed


Originally Posted by Jbro121 (Post 30646555)
When does AA typically release SWUs on flights?


JDiver Jan 12, 19 8:12 pm


Originally Posted by Jbro121 (Post 30646555)
When does AA typically release SWUs on flights?

Sometimes, far out. If one books then, one can secure a seat and upgrade.

Often, revenue management determines the release of award seats and it can occur anytime up to boarding - it’s a dynamic process that depends on historic and actual sales, etc.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...eqd-spend.html

beagleflyer1977 Jan 13, 19 1:20 am

Noob to redeeming AA miles - have built up a decent balance but never used. Looking to go to Australia in October 2019, one way in biz for 2 people from LAX/SFO. Can go LAX/SFO to SYD/BRIS/MEL - just one way. No luck so far in finding anything on aa.com, only economy. Any tips much appreciated.

diver858 Jan 13, 19 8:59 am

Thread regarding award availability tricks through hubs?
 
I recall seeing a thread describing award availability for flights connecting through an AA hub, but no O&D, success holding such an itinerary, having the unwanted removed prior to booking. I have searched high and low, unable to locate it. Perhaps a sticky, wiki link, ... ?

JDiver Jan 13, 19 10:37 am


Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 30648879)
I recall seeing a thread describing award availability for flights connecting through an AA hub, but no O&D, success holding such an itinerary, having the unwanted removed prior to booking. I have searched high and low, unable to locate it. Perhaps a sticky, wiki link, ... ?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nnections.html perhaps?

Mwenenzi Jan 13, 19 1:00 pm


Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977 (Post 30647890)
Noob to redeeming AA miles - have built up a decent balance but never used. Looking to go to Australia in October 2019, one way in biz for 2 people from LAX/SFO. Can go LAX/SFO to SYD/BRIS/MEL - just one way. No luck so far in finding anything on aa.com, only economy. Any tips much appreciated.

A popular and very hard award to get. 2 biz award seats on the same flight--->3 times as hard.
BNE has been reported as a little easier. Also consider HA (Hawaiian) & FJ (Fiji). AA fly LAX - SYD & LAX-AKL (NZ)

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

AA forum [Australia New Zealand] --->AAdvantage award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

QF---> AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Anns76 Jan 13, 19 4:20 pm

Hello everyone, I have a question. I am doing the AA challenge and I booked my ticket with AA but the flight is a BA plane. I am flying Premium economy (which is BA World Traveler +). My question is if I decide to buy a day of flight upgrade to BA business how will my EQD be calculated. The reason why I ask is because I bought my ticket with AA so AA calculates it buy how much I spent not including taxes and if I pay for a day of upgrade with BA then they calculate it my 25% of the miles flown, I think.

Thanks

Bradhattan Jan 13, 19 4:26 pm

Hello FT: I am new EXP. I have a couple award tickets booked. I found better flights and put those on 5 day hold. Should I book the tickets on hold and then cancel the other award tickets? As EXP there is no cost, correct?

Thank you!

JDiver Jan 13, 19 4:31 pm


Originally Posted by Bradhattan (Post 30650559)
Hello FT: I am new EXP. I have a couple award tickets booked. I found better flights and put those on 5 day hold. Should I book the tickets on hold and then cancel the other award tickets? As EXP there is no cost, correct?

Thank you!

I might call and do this, IMO. No charge to redeposit the cancelled awards either way.

cheme24 Jan 13, 19 6:57 pm

Recently, I missed my AA flight booked with a non-refundable ticket. I was stuck in some heavy traffic and I ended up canceling my flight about 20 minutes before boarding and booking an award flight that departed a few hours later. Is there any chance I can recover at least a portion of the funds I used to book the original ticket?

guv1976 Jan 13, 19 7:27 pm


Originally Posted by cheme24 (Post 30650978)
Recently, I missed my AA flight booked with a non-refundable ticket. I was stuck in some heavy traffic and I ended up canceling my flight about 20 minutes before boarding and booking an award flight that departed a few hours later. Is there any chance I can recover at least a portion of the funds I used to book the original ticket?

Was this an international flight, or a domestic one? On domestic flights, AA has an informal "flat tire" rule, and likely would have accommodated you on the next available flight at no additional charge -- had you not cancelled.

As far as getting a refund on the ticket you cancelled, I would not hold my breath.

cheme24 Jan 13, 19 7:33 pm


Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 30651069)
Was this an international flight, or a domestic one? On domestic flights, AA has an informal "flat tire" rule, and likely would have accommodated you on the next available flight at no additional charge -- had you not cancelled.

As far as getting a refund on the ticket you cancelled, I would not hold my breath.

It was a domestic flight. I called them to rebook me on the next flight, but the next available flight did not work for me since it was too late. I was able to book a much earlier flight using AA miles, but for some reason it was not available when the CS representative spoke to me.

guv1976 Jan 13, 19 8:51 pm


Originally Posted by cheme24 (Post 30651087)
It was a domestic flight. I called them to rebook me on the next flight, but the next available flight did not work for me since it was too late. I was able to book a much earlier flight using AA miles, but for some reason it was not available when the CS representative spoke to me.

Calling was probably a mistake. Just show up late at the ticket counter, and you will be re-accommodated. If a flight was available for mileage redemption, it is likely that an agent at the airport would have put you on it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:52 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.