Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Hi all, newbie so please be patient with me. Am on a challenge as per the above. Couple of questions:

1. Any other help out there or tips on how to complete this as economically as possible? Best I can figure is flights in premium economy on BA out of ORD into JNB or DXB.
2. Second question, let's say I qualify for exec plat in 2020 by flying Cathay which isn't a named partner on my challenge. That means I miss my challenge but I qualify for exec plat in 2021, but what does that mean for 2020? Will I still get exec plat in 2020? Hope that makes sense.
You can use AA joint business partners to make a Challenge. Premium Economy on partners is often the best route for challenges.

For regular status you can use any airline that offers flights that qualify for the EQD-EQM/EQS required. If you earn the required instruments during 2020, your status will persist through the remainder of 2020 and all of the 2021 status year.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
You can use AA joint business partners to make a Challenge. Premium Economy on partners is often the best route for challenges.

For regular status you can use any airline that offers flights that qualify for the EQD-EQM/EQS required. If you earn the required instruments during 2020, your status will persist through the remainder of 2020 and all of the 2021 status year.
Thanks, for me then I will probably qual on CX prem economy even though it's excluded from my challenge (specified in the email from AA)
Old Dec 30, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ChuckieB
Hi, folks. About to take my first AA flight in many years PHL-MAN-AUH-CMB-AUH-CDG-PHl, purchased from AA by my travel agency.

I have a mix of flights: I class on AA, W class on EY. Only the TLANT legs are on AA metal/flight number, the EY legs have EY flight numbers/metal. If I'm reading the AA page correctly I'm going to get 0 EQM and 100% miles flown for those EY legs, is that correct?

If necessary to get credit for the EY legs, does anyone know if AA will reticket me onto AA flight numbers w/o a change in fare?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
AA does not codeshare on EY flights, so your only option is the EY flight number that you're currently booked on. Correct you will earn a few RDM based on distance but no EQM.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:00 am

Odd SWU and expertflyer

Used a SWU for LAX-MIA-LHR that will fly in a couple of week
'C' inventory was available on MIA-LHR at the time of booking so I take the risk for the LAX-MIA

I checked my booking randomly on the app last week and see that the LAX-MIA has been upgraded

However
- I did put an expert flyer alert for C (1 or more) and never received an alter (and it's currently C0)
- On the "upgrade" section of the app for this booking , I still see "on request" for this leg

Does an upgrade can clear without C inventory ? or it was expert flyer who didn't send me a notification ?

I spoke with a very nice agent on the phone couple of week ago and asked her for the cost to pay for F for this leg and she suggested not to do it as my chance of being upgraded are good (of course it's wide open in all fare classes, look like they just open the flight )
Is it possible that a phone agent upgrade someone ? Especially for a non VIP / non CK.
I was surprised to find this kind of very nice agent and probably this is just a coincidence as I'm rarely upgraded especially 2 weeks prior to the flight. (I didn't put an alert on my Y seat so I don't know when the upgrade cleared)
Old Dec 30, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by CGRA
Odd SWU and expertflyer

Used a SWU for LAX-MIA-LHR that will fly in a couple of week
'C' inventory was available on MIA-LHR at the time of booking so I take the risk for the LAX-MIA

I checked my booking randomly on the app last week and see that the LAX-MIA has been upgraded

However
- I did put an expert flyer alert for C (1 or more) and never received an alter (and it's currently C0)
- On the "upgrade" section of the app for this booking , I still see "on request" for this leg

Does an upgrade can clear without C inventory ? or it was expert flyer who didn't send me a notification ?

I spoke with a very nice agent on the phone couple of week ago and asked her for the cost to pay for F for this leg and she suggested not to do it as my chance of being upgraded are good (of course it's wide open in all fare classes, look like they just open the flight )
Is it possible that a phone agent upgrade someone ? Especially for a non VIP / non CK.
I was surprised to find this kind of very nice agent and probably this is just a coincidence as I'm rarely upgraded especially 2 weeks prior to the flight. (I didn't put an alert on my Y seat so I don't know when the upgrade cleared)
EF does not search continuously, but rather in batches, so it's very common for an upgrade to clear without receiving an EF notification. Basically depending on the timing AA can release C space and upgrade you in between when EF performs it's batch searches, so it appears as though C space was never released.

As to why aa.com showed your upgrade requested when it already cleared, that will change to "confirmed" once you call and have it fully re-ticketed in business.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA
Hello - I found a business class web special award on AA.com. When I proceed to flight selection and choose a flight, it allows me to select the web special or the "regular" miles price...for each leg of the journey.

If I select a "regular" miles price for the outbound leg, and a web special price for the return, would I be allowed to modify the outbound leg should a better routing open up later?

Thanks as always.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by backprop
Hello - I found a business class web special award on AA.com. When I proceed to flight selection and choose a flight, it allows me to select the web special or the "regular" miles price...for each leg of the journey.

If I select a "regular" miles price for the outbound leg, and a web special price for the return, would I be allowed to modify the outbound leg should a better routing open up later?

Thanks as always.
Your best bet might be to call AA - they can’t charge you if you can’t complete your booking online - and try to book the flight you were offered but could not ultimately book.

Award flights are all one way, regardless of whether you book them at the same time. It’s unlikely you’d be allowed to change your outbound leg if not allowed by the web special conditions.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:45 pm

Your best bet might be to call AA - they can’t charge you if you can’t complete your booking online - and try to book the flight you were offered but could not ultimately book.

Award flights are all one way, regardless of whether you book them at the same time. It’s unlikely you’d be allowed to change your outbound leg if not allowed by the web special conditions.
Thanks for your reply. To be clear, it's perfectly possible to complete it online (outbound "regular" pricing, inbound "web special" pricing, or vice versa). I do get what you're saying I think, given that awards are technically one way way. I completed the selections and now see the following verbiage (toward the bottom):

If I booked web special both ways, it would be 84,000 miles (42,000 x 2). But since I chose a 'regular' price on the return, it correctly calculates the one-way portion of each type and adds it together.

But even if I do that, it appears as though any portion of the itinerary booked as a "web special" precludes changes to any other part of the itinerary...at least based upon the wording. Even if the part I want to change was booked as "flexible" aka non web-special. I wonder if anyone has had a different experience.

Last edited by backprop; Dec 30, 2019 at 12:51 pm
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by backprop
Thanks for your reply. To be clear, it's perfectly possible to complete it online (outbound "regular" pricing, inbound "web special" pricing, or vice versa). I do get what you're saying I think, given that awards are technically one way way. I completed the selections and now see the following verbiage (toward the bottom):

If I booked web special both ways, it would be 84,000 miles (42,000 x 2). But since I chose a 'regular' price on the return, it correctly calculates the one-way portion of each type and adds it together.

But even if I do that, it appears as though any portion of the itinerary booked as a "web special" precludes changes to the entire itinerary...at least based upon the wording. I wonder if anyone has had a different experience.
Ah! Book them separately, no problem effectuation any changes possible for regular SAAver tickets.

AA often requires the most restrictive conditions apply to all segments of multi-fare flights, so this isn’t surprising. But — I don’t know for sure if this applies to web specials bought in conjunction with regular awards.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm

Am trying to book a JAL flight on Amex IAP as part of my challenge, problem is when I am trying to book it doesn't give me an option to enter my AAdvantage number. It only gives me the ability to enter a JAL number. Am obviously leery of booking and not getting my AA credit. Can anyone help me with this?

Edit-i entered my ffn on the JAL site through manage booking option and I called in to JAL and they confirmed that my accruals will map to AA. In case there are other newbies out there.

So the JAL flight details say accumulating miles are : 23.153 and this books into business X, does that mean that for American eqms I would earn 46k (23*2) and for eqds I would earn 5.7k (.25*23153)?

Edit-so I called JAL and they said the accumulating miles only applied to JAL customers crediting to JAL, and that the actual distance in total is closer to 16k.

So now my calc is 16k*2= 32k for eqm and 16k*.25=4k eqd. Question now is how is the cabin bonus of 25% applied? Will that help boost my totals higher?

Thanks for all your patience everyone.

Last edited by ZBigFam; Dec 30, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
EF does not search continuously, but rather in batches, so it's very common for an upgrade to clear without receiving an EF notification. Basically depending on the timing AA can release C space and upgrade you in between when EF performs it's batch searches, so it appears as though C space was never released.

As to why aa.com showed your upgrade requested when it already cleared, that will change to "confirmed" once you call and have it fully re-ticketed in business.
Thank you very much.
I have read on tpg that expert flyer will notify you before the upgrade are processed by aa so tpg is not correct.

I did found C1 on a flight that I was waitlisted but by the time I called it was gone (probably to someone higher on the waitlist).
If I have called immediately upon release of the C would have been able to be upgraded before other people on the wait list ??
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:39 pm

Ah! Book them separately, no problem effectuation any changes possible for regular SAAver tickets.

AA often requires the most restrictive conditions apply to all segments of multi-fare flights, so this isn’t surprising. But — I don’t know for sure if this applies to web specials bought in conjunction with regular awards.
Thanks for the advice.. I'm weighing separate bookings. There's a chance I'd have to cancel the whole thing. No status so I'd pay an extra $150 for redeposit. Otherwise would be a no brainer.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Am trying to book a JAL flight on Amex IAP as part of my challenge, problem is when I am trying to book it doesn't give me an option to enter my AAdvantage number. It only gives me the ability to enter a JAL number. Am obviously leery of booking and not getting my AA credit. Can anyone help me with this?

Edit-i entered my ffn on the JAL site through manage booking option and I called in to JAL and they confirmed that my accruals will map to AA. In case there are other newbies out there.

So the JAL flight details say accumulating miles are : 23.153 and this books into business X, does that mean that for American eqms I would earn 46k (23*2) and for eqds I would earn 5.7k (.25*23153)?

Edit-so I called JAL and they said the accumulating miles only applied to JAL customers crediting to JAL, and that the actual distance in total is closer to 16k.

So now my calc is 16k*2= 32k for eqm and 16k*.25=4k eqd. Question now is how is the cabin bonus of 25% applied? Will that help boost my totals higher?

Thanks for all your patience everyone.
The best way to figure out if 16k is correct would be to feed your JL flight route to a tool such as Great Circle Mapper..

The "cabin bonus" applies to your award miles, not EQM or EQD. It gets added to your status bonus, which would be 120% if you're Executive Platinum. So 16k (1 + .25 + 1.20) = 39.2k award miles, assuming that 16k was correct.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
The best way to figure out if 16k is correct would be to feed your JL flight route to a tool such as Great Circle Mapper..

The "cabin bonus" applies to your award miles, not EQM or EQD. It gets added to your status bonus, which would be 120% if you're Executive Platinum. So 16k (1 + .25 + 1.20) = 39.2k award miles, assuming that 16k was correct.
Thanks for the answer I had been googling and couldn't find anything on cabin bonus
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:12 pm

Thanks for the answer I had been googling and couldn't find anything on cabin bonus
See here.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.