FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Mwenenzi Dec 27, 19 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc (Post 31882069)

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31881721)
Or is the question what is fare class for a USA domestic segment when in a ticket with a long haul premium economy flight?

You are correct, this is what I am asking for.
if I know the fare class, I can map to BAEC

To me map is the wrong word. That word usually means the fare booking in a codeshare. For example with Star Allaince the marketed fare booking class on a codeshare does not always map to the same fare booking class of the operating airline

ZBigFam Dec 27, 19 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 (Post 31881282)
Hello...refugee from United here. I am going to be taking several long-haul trips to Asia this year.

What is the status of status matching? Would love to go from 1K on United to something on AA while I build my status.

I am a United refugee too, they offered me exec plat with no fee for a 3 month challenge.

JJeffrey Dec 28, 19 5:37 am

Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc (Post 31882069)
You are correct, this is what I am asking for.
if I know the fare class, I can map to BAEC

When you are looking at flight options at aa.com, just click the "Details" link next to each option, it will show you the booking codes for all segments.

sch7458 Dec 28, 19 11:12 am

Does someone know how to get a tax refund for Aadvantage Miles purchase for non-US award redemption?
Couple years back there was a post from Gary Leff: https://viewfromthewing.com/when-you...-tax-refunded/ but I'm not sure whether someone has actually tried that?

I'm thinking to purchase AA miles for CDG-AUH with EY First.

accrue450 Dec 28, 19 4:51 pm

Hi all. Does DFW-MEX or MEX-CLT in business qualify for admirals club access? https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp says flights between US and Mexico City in biz or first qualify for flagship (DFW), and same for https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp for admirals (CLT). But I've been burned once flying between the US and the Caribbeans so don't trust my reading comprehension anymore...

MADPhil Dec 28, 19 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by accrue450 (Post 31884496)
Hi all. Does DFW-MEX or MEX-CLT in business qualify for admirals club access? https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp says flights between US and Mexico City in biz or first qualify for flagship (DFW), and same for https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp for admirals (CLT). But I've been burned once flying between the US and the Caribbeans so don't trust my reading comprehension anymore...

MEX is the exception to the rule so you should be OK.

accrue450 Dec 28, 19 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil (Post 31884771)
MEX is the exception to the rule so you should be OK.

Sweet thanks!

diburning Dec 28, 19 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by sch7458 (Post 31883702)
Does someone know how to get a tax refund for Aadvantage Miles purchase for non-US award redemption?
Couple years back there was a post from Gary Leff: https://viewfromthewing.com/when-you...-tax-refunded/ but I'm not sure whether someone has actually tried that?

I'm thinking to purchase AA miles for CDG-AUH with EY First.

If you read to the end of the article, it lists all the IRS tax forms you have to fill out to itemize this deduction. BUT, even then, he states that he's only assuming that it is how it works, as he never got confirmation from either the IRS or a tax attorney that this is a proper deduction. A tax attorney commented on the article saying that although this is presumably correct, the IRS will most likely reject this sort of claim and you'd have to sue them to get it.

And if you're not someone who files or has to file US federal taxes, you're SOL.

sch7458 Dec 29, 19 4:41 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31885233)
If you read to the end of the article, it lists all the IRS tax forms you have to fill out to itemize this deduction. BUT, even then, he states that he's only assuming that it is how it works, as he never got confirmation from either the IRS or a tax attorney that this is a proper deduction. A tax attorney commented on the article saying that although this is presumably correct, the IRS will most likely reject this sort of claim and you'd have to sue them to get it.

And if you're not someone who files or has to file US federal taxes, you're SOL.

Is it a big paperwork filling that IRS forms? If yes, then I'll just leave it. The couple months time spent is not that worthy for a refund of 200 USD.

flyingeph12 Dec 29, 19 10:35 am

Originally Posted by sch7458 (Post 31885573)
Is it a big paperwork filling that IRS forms? If yes, then I'll just leave it. The couple months time spent is not that worthy for a refund of 200 USD.

Personally, I donít think itís worth the money, particularly if you otherwise would not have to file a tax return. Without a social security number, you would first have to apply for an ITIN through the IRS. And itemizing deductions is a pain in my opinion. All for the possibility of a refund, since itís not clear (at least to me) that the refund would be approved by the IRS.

ladycody Dec 29, 19 3:26 pm

So my flight times changed and I'm looking at Boston to Phoenix leaving at 6am and arriving at 1030 with my connection at 11:14. I had planned a full hour to get from point A to point B (carry-on only) but am now worried. Any idea what my odds are of making the dang connection?

ChuckieB Dec 29, 19 3:35 pm

AA earnings on EY flights

Hi, folks. About to take my first AA flight in many years PHL-MAN-AUH-CMB-AUH-CDG-PHl, purchased from AA by my travel agency.

I have a mix of flights: I class on AA, W class on EY. Only the TLANT legs are on AA metal/flight number, the EY legs have EY flight numbers/metal. If I'm reading the AA page correctly I'm going to get 0 EQM and 100% miles flown for those EY legs, is that correct?

If necessary to get credit for the EY legs, does anyone know if AA will reticket me onto AA flight numbers w/o a change in fare?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

ChuckieB Dec 29, 19 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31882191)
I am a United refugee too, they offered me exec plat with no fee for a 3 month challenge.

ZBigFam,

when did you get your challenge, and what did they require of you to complete it? I'm waiting for my 2021 status to show on my digital card to put in for one.

And do you, or anyone else, know if they'll allow credit for a flight flown prior to submitting for the challenge? I have an upcoming flight mid-Jan, I'm hearing that UA often doesn't update the dig card till late Jan or Feb.

Thanks.

Mwenenzi Dec 29, 19 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by ChuckieB (Post 31887114)
Hi, folks. About to take my first AA flight in many years PHL-MAN-AUH-CMB-AUH-CDG-PHl, purchased from AA by my travel agency.

I have a mix of flights: I class on AA, W class on EY. Only the TLANT legs are on AA metal/flight number, the EY legs have EY flight numbers/metal. If I'm reading the AA page correctly I'm going to get 0 EQM and 100% miles flown for those EY legs, is that correct?

If necessary to get credit for the EY legs, does anyone know if AA will reticket me onto AA flight numbers w/o a change in fare?

For a ticket issued by a TA, only the TA can change it. AA will not touch it
No-one on FT knows if that will be a fare change. Depends on the ticket t&c's
Great Circle Mapper

ZBigFam Dec 29, 19 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ChuckieB (Post 31887138)
ZBigFam,

when did you get your challenge, and what did they require of you to complete it? I'm waiting for my 2021 status to show on my digital card to put in for one.

And do you, or anyone else, know if they'll allow credit for a flight flown prior to submitting for the challenge? I have an upcoming flight mid-Jan, I'm hearing that UA often doesn't update the dig card till late Jan or Feb.

Thanks.

Hi there, I got my challenge activated on 12/20, I had requested it a week or so before. They only asked for my 2018 status and flight history. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 31850451)
I noticed on my offer though that it did not include Cathay...is that a problem? Will they not count it to my challenge if it's not one of the airlines below?

- Earn a minimum of $5,000 elite qualifying dollars (EQDs)
AND
- Fly 35,000 elite qualifying miles (EQMs) or 40 elite qualifying
segments (EQSs) on AA, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia or Japan
Airlines.

Hi all, newbie so please be patient with me. Am on a challenge as per the above. Couple of questions:

1. Any other help out there or tips on how to complete this as economically as possible? Best I can figure is flights in premium economy on BA out of ORD into JNB or DXB.
2. Second question, let's say I qualify for exec plat in 2020 by flying Cathay which isn't a named partner on my challenge. That means I miss my challenge but I qualify for exec plat in 2021, but what does that mean for 2020? Will I still get exec plat in 2020? Hope that makes sense.