FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Petrus Dec 25, 19 6:27 am

Lost luggage - reimbursement.

Getting to know the fabolous AA customer service lately. They managed to lose one of our bags between JFK - MIA yesterday.
Filed a report att AA arrivals in MIA and they said last scan was at JFK. It hasnít left the airport but will probably come on a later flight. He also said I can call a number to speak someone directly about reasonable emergency expenses.
That number is automated obviously :(

Now, all Mrs Petrus summer clothes, training stuff and the daughters clothes are in the bag along with some of my stuff.
Itís christmas day and Annaís first birthday and they have nothing to wear.

everything is closed today due to christmas.
The tracking website still says bag cannot be located. Grrr. How incompetent are they?

I cannot stress enough how annoying this is. I read an article in huffpost that legally Airlines in the US are liable for up to 3700USD to cover expenses, assuming one follows the correct procedure.

Our estimate is that shoes alone in the bag are 2K plus the rest and we are above 3K.
What is the correct procedure to claim money from AA?

- file report
- buy replacement clothes/Shoes/Make up
- send in the claim with receipts, tickets etc?

thanks and merry xmas

JDiver Dec 25, 19 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Petrus (Post 31874824)
Getting to know the fabolous AA customer service lately. They managed to lose one of our bags between JFK - MIA yesterday.
Filed a report att AA arrivals in MIA and they said last scan was at JFK. It hasnít left the airport but will probably come on a later flight. He also said I can call a number to speak someone directly about reasonable emergency expenses.
That number is automated obviously :(

Now, all Mrs Petrus summer clothes, training stuff and the daughters clothes are in the bag along with some of my stuff.
Itís christmas day and Annaís first birthday and they have nothing to wear.

everything is closed today due to christmas.
The tracking website still says bag cannot be located. Grrr. How incompetent are they?

I cannot stress enough how annoying this is. I read an article in huffpost that legally Airlines in the US are liable for up to 3700USD to cover expenses, assuming one follows the correct procedure.

Our estimate is that shoes alone in the bag are 2K plus the rest and we are above 3K.
What is the correct procedure to claim money from AA?

- file report
- buy replacement clothes/Shoes/Make up
- send in the claim with receipts, tickets etc?

thanks and merry xmas

Iím sorry about the baggage issue. These can occur more easily during the highest demand days, I think, and youíve been caught up in that. AA will pay for some expenses, but $2k of shoes not so much. There are procedures and policies, and a lot of discussion, here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

ainokea Dec 25, 19 12:23 pm

Is anybody else seeing anything weird going on with the aa.com site today? I logged in to explore some fares for a potential trip and noticed that for a booked intl flight I somehow got booted from PE back to the 2nd to last row in coach.

edit: Nothing like aa customer service. Called them, they claimed there was a change and no PE seats are available on any flights that day. The reservations site seems to show an entirely different story.

Can anybody suggest a good customer service # other than the 800-433-7300 number on their web site. I booked aa specifically for their PE product for the long haul flights. Now looking to cancel and rebook on Alitalia, Delta, or (ugh) United.

NotThisTime Dec 27, 19 7:25 am

To get exec plat I need 310 more EQMs (I hit the $15k spend already).

What's my play here? I guess I'm going to call them and see if I can pay a nominal amount to buy up the remaining miles. Anyone else have success with this?

Thanks!

MADPhil Dec 27, 19 7:59 am

Originally Posted by NotThisTime (Post 31880253)
To get exec plat I need 310 more EQMs (I hit the $15k spend already).

What's my play here? I guess I'm going to call them and see if I can pay a nominal amount to buy up the remaining miles. Anyone else have success with this?

Thanks!

If you go online you will probably find an offer to buy up but the sum will not be nominal. There is an FT thread about it: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...us-2020-a.html

JJeffrey Dec 27, 19 8:02 am

Originally Posted by ainokea (Post 31875577)
Is anybody else seeing anything weird going on with the aa.com site today? I logged in to explore some fares for a potential trip and noticed that for a booked intl flight I somehow got booted from PE back to the 2nd to last row in coach.

edit: Nothing like aa customer service. Called them, they claimed there was a change and no PE seats are available on any flights that day. The reservations site seems to show an entirely different story.

Can anybody suggest a good customer service # other than the 800-433-7300 number on their web site. I booked aa specifically for their PE product for the long haul flights. Now looking to cancel and rebook on Alitalia, Delta, or (ugh) United.

That's the only reservations number in the US. Just try calling back today, if you called on Xmas day then your'e going to get the lowest seniority / least trained phone agents possible.

What are your flights and dates?

ainokea Dec 27, 19 9:16 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31880333)
That's the only reservations number in the US. Just try calling back today, if you called on Xmas day then your'e going to get the lowest seniority / least trained phone agents possible.

You know, I didn't even think about that angle of what agents would be available on Christmas. I was just a bit perturbed after seeing that I had lost our seats and then been stuck in the rear without any communication from AA. At least some notice that, "hey you may want to change flights or something because you've lost all the extra legroom and slightly-better food you paid for, and now we've assigned you to a seat where you'll smell the lavatories and will be served whatever is leftover from the previous 240-odd people stuck in cattle class."

Per the first agent, the change was made several days earlier, but I never received an email, or even a notification via the AA app. I spoke with two different agents yesterday and got a decent resolution.

JJeffrey Dec 27, 19 9:30 am

Originally Posted by ainokea (Post 31880520)
You know, I didn't even think about that angle of what agents would be available on Christmas. I was just a bit perturbed after seeing that I had lost our seats and then been stuck in the rear without any communication from AA. At least some notice that, "hey you may want to change flights or something because you've lost all the extra legroom and slightly-better food you paid for, and now we've assigned you to a seat where you'll smell the lavatories and will be served whatever is leftover from the previous 240-odd people stuck in cattle class."

Per the first agent, the change was made several days earlier, but I never received an email, or even a notification via the AA app. I spoke with two different agents yesterday and got a decent resolution.

Don't take it personally, AA is generally awful about sending out notifications for schedule changes like this. Glad you got it sorted though.

cheung.chunyuenc Dec 27, 19 12:55 pm

Domestic Main Cabin fare class with International Premium Economy

I would like to buy HKG -LAX - JFK flights in Premium Economy.
HKG - LAX is in fare class P

If all fare classes are readily available, what is the fare class of the domestic segment (LAX JFK)?
Thank you very much
(PS , I would like to credit the miles to BA)

AsiaTravel2019 Dec 27, 19 1:24 pm

Hello...refugee from United here. I am going to be taking several long-haul trips to Asia this year.

What is the status of status matching? Would love to go from 1K on United to something on AA while I build my status.

gateH15 Dec 27, 19 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc (Post 31881202)

If all fare classes are readily available, what is the fare class of the domestic segment (LAX JFK)?
Thank you very much

You can check exact flight booking code on aa app when clicking on details for each flight

cheung.chunyuenc Dec 27, 19 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31881297)
You can check exact flight booking code on aa app when clicking on details for each flight

thank you for your reply.

however, I did not book this flight yet
I am not a regular AA traveler so I do not have AA app
I have the BA app
i have attempted to look at the fare basis of this AA itinerary in aa.com, but it is not easy to comprehend

the main purpose is to know how many Tier Points (BAEC)if I book this

for BA, a long haul fare class T (WT+) will map to a fare class K (WT)for short haul flight
for CX, a long haul fare class E(PEY)will map to a fare class H /K for short haul flight
how about AA, a long haul fare class P will map to what fare class for short haul flight

Mwenenzi Dec 27, 19 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc (Post 31881202)

Thank you very much

Originally Posted by cheung.chunyuenc (Post 31881669)
However, I did not book this flight yet
I am not a regular AA traveler so I do not have AA app
I have the BA app
I have attempted to look at the fare basis of this AA itinerary in aa.com, but it is not easy to comprehend

The main purpose is to know how many Tier Points (BAEC) if I book this
  • for BA, a long haul fare class T (WT+)will map to a fare class K (WT)for short haul flight
  • for CX, a long haul fare class E(PEY)will map to a fare class H /K for short haul flight
  • how about AA, a long haul fare class P will map to what fare class for short haul flight

Questions about BA tier points are best asked in the BA forum
With Oneworld ff earnings are based on the marketing carrier (flight number) and fare booking class that you buy. That's all. Look at the BA web site for partners.
You are over thinking this by a lot looking at mapping to other fare classes on the operating airline. Irrelevant for OW

Or is the question what is fare class for a USA domestic segment when in a ticket with a long haul premium economy flight?

Mwenenzi Dec 27, 19 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019 (Post 31881282)
Hello...refugee from United here. I am going to be taking several long-haul trips to Asia this year.

What is the status of status matching? Would love to go from 1K on United to something on AA while I build my status.

AA will generally not status match. They will offer a challenge for a $ fee.
Corporate deal/offers can be different/targeted

AA will be used to UA refugee's. But don't expect anything special . You are one of thousands. And others going the opposite way

cheung.chunyuenc Dec 27, 19 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31881721)

Or is the question what is fare class for a USA domestic segment when in a ticket with a long haul premium economy flight?

You are correct, this is what I am asking for.
if I know the fare class, I can map to BAEC