FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

wrp96 Dec 5, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom (Post 31808731)
I have another question about refunds please, if anyone can help with these specifics. First time using AA miles to purchase BA flights TATL. I've always avoided that, but this time I had to due to an inflexible schedule and limited miles. I paid the fuel surcharge to get sAAver award space.
My question is about refunds. Assuming sAAver seats open up on AA metal same itinerary (it's LAX-LHR-FCO), can I re-book onto the AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded? From what I see, there might be a fee to do this, but it will be worth paying to recoup some of that surcharge.

Yes you can rebook onto AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded. Somebody else will have to let you know if there is a fee for doing it or not.

Also,if we pay BA in advance to select our seats, is that part refundable if we switch to AA flights?

Thank you.
BA seat fees are not refundable if you voluntarily change off the flight (or to another class of service on the same flight). So I would hold off paying seat booking fees if you are hoping to switch to AA.

JJeffrey Dec 5, 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom (Post 31808731)
I have another question about refunds please, if anyone can help with these specifics. First time using AA miles to purchase BA flights TATL. I've always avoided that, but this time I had to due to an inflexible schedule and limited miles. I paid the fuel surcharge to get sAAver award space.
My question is about refunds. Assuming sAAver seats open up on AA metal same itinerary (it's LAX-LHR-FCO), can I re-book onto the AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded? From what I see, there might be a fee to do this, but it will be worth paying to recoup some of that surcharge.

Also,if we pay BA in advance to select our seats, is that part refundable if we switch to AA flights?

Thank you.

To add to the above, there is no fee to switch your award from BA to AA, assuming the origin and destination remain the same.

cheaptom Dec 5, 2019 10:54 am

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 31808764)
Yes you can rebook onto AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded. Somebody else will have to let you know if there is a fee for doing it or not. BA seat fees are not refundable if you voluntarily change off the flight (or to another class of service on the same flight). So I would hold off paying seat booking fees if you are hoping to switch to AA.

Very helpful, thank you.
Love those upper-deck seats on the BA 388s, but you're right and it makes far more sense to wait. Lots of time.

wiivile Dec 5, 2019 2:00 pm

Is it a violation of any of AA's terms to do an AAdvantage hold every 5 days as long as the availability is still there? Has this historically been considered considered abuse?

Semphyra Dec 5, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi, I want to buy a Sonos soundbar while I’m the US.

Can I travel with the box as my carry-on?

MADPhil Dec 5, 2019 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31809585)
Is it a violation of any of AA's terms to do an AAdvantage hold every 5 days as long as the availability is still there? Has this historically been considered considered abuse?

I have certainly done it for several iterations on several occasions. AA could fairly readily prevent it if they wanted to and most people probably buy in the end so I doubt that AA have a problem with it.

JDiver Dec 5, 2019 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Semphyra (Post 31809671)

Maybe. What are the dimensions? Link to AA carryon restrictions.

In part:

“Shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 inches / 56 x 36 x 23 centimeters (including handles and wheels)

Must fit in the sizer at the airport

If your items don’t fit in the overhead bin or under the seat, they may need to be checked. There may be additional carry-on bag restrictions at certain airports or on certain airplanes.”

flyingeph12 Dec 5, 2019 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Semphyra (Post 31809671)

You may be asked at security to open the box. I once had that happen to me with an electrical appliance I had purchased as a gift and was carrying with me. This was before the days of pre-check, though.

TandJalliance Dec 6, 2019 7:03 am

Family traveling from jfk to hkg. Paents in j class, daughter in premium economy, would like to enter flagship lounge as a family. Can we buy a day pass for her? Cost?

JJeffrey Dec 6, 2019 7:07 am

Originally Posted by TandJalliance (Post 31811792)
Family traveling from jfk to hkg. Paents in j class, daughter in premium economy, would like to enter flagship lounge as a family. Can we buy a day pass for her? Cost?

You cannot buy a day pass to any Flagship Lounge. How old is your daughter? If she's relatively "young" then there's a good chance they will let all 3 in without issue, AA agents are typically pretty lenient with this type of thing.

Also, if either of you have oneworld Emerald or Sapphire status, then you can take one guest.

Jinxed_K Dec 6, 2019 9:15 am

Quick question about seats
Brought it up here, but doesn't seem to be a very active thread... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31801860-post322.html
Regarding the A321 layout.

I tend to go to the lav a lot so I actually like the proximity. Last time I was in this config, I booked 22C but found the solid armrests too narrow for my frame so I asked the FA and was able to move to 22B which had an armrest on the left side you could move and the seat was comfortable with it raised. (right side had solid armrest with your tray table)
This upcoming flight 22C was taken so I wanted to avoid 22B while 22D and E were both open.
Does 22D or 22E have the movable armrests like 22B? I wasn't sure if the seats were 'mirrored' or 'copy/pasted' in layout.

joe_miami Dec 6, 2019 8:12 pm

Switched back to AA this year after several years on UA and just want to be sure: With AA, the checked-bag weight limit is based strictly on class and not on status, so if I'm ExPlat but my upgrade doesn't clear for the first segment, my limit is 50 pounds, right? Thanks.

guv1976 Dec 6, 2019 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31814271)
Switched back to AA this year after several years on UA and just want to be sure: With AA, the checked-bag weight limit is based strictly on class and not on status, so if I'm ExPlat but my upgrade doesn't clear for the first segment, my limit is 50 pounds, right? Thanks.

Wrong:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ht-baggage.jsp

joe_miami Dec 6, 2019 8:59 pm

Nice, thanks. For some reason, the ExPlat part isn't listed on this page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

JDiver Dec 7, 2019 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31814357)
Nice, thanks. For some reason, the ExPlat part isn't listed on this page:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

See

EXP Executive Pl / Emerald extended baggage / luggage allowance (2018, master thread)