FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

Mwenenzi Dec 3, 2019 11:25 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey;31800496I
flying WAS to MSQ via AUH is comically out of way.

But this is flyertalk :cool:
Flight & train is another option
Great Circle Mapper

chunky649 Dec 3, 2019 2:49 pm

I have the Citi AA platinum master card that promises "First piece of checked luggage free on domestic flights". Based on what I read in the long rules, I don't get free checked luggage on a Canada-USA flight. Can anyone chime in? I'm prepared to go carry-on only, but it would be nice to be able to check a bag and not have to pay. The fare is basic economy and I have no status with AA.

Mwenenzi Dec 3, 2019 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by chunky649 (Post 31801405)
I have the Citi AA platinum master card that promises "First piece of checked luggage free on domestic flights". Based on what I read in the long rules, I don't get free checked luggage on a Canada-USA flight. Can anyone chime in? I'm prepared to go carry-on only, but it would be nice to be able to check a bag and not have to pay. The fare is basic economy and I have no status with AA.

Better to look / ask in the basic economy master thread---->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Click to open the wiki

diburning Dec 3, 2019 4:21 pm

I don't fly American often, but when I do, I sometimes get solicited for an upgrade offer at OLCI.

I was not solicited this time, and the F cabin is still for sale. Reservations can only upfare me to the fare being sold. I tried a kiosk and it didn't offer me a buy-up, and the check-in counter agent was really nice and tried to see if she could get an offer to come up, but no dice.

I was hoping that my flight would be sold out so that I could get bumped to tomorrow and try again (this is the last flight out of the day), but the agent also told me that although Y is sold out with no inventory, 97 people have not checked in yet (this is ~5 hours out).

What are my chances that I'd be able to get a buy up offer later at an airside customer service counter or at the gate if people no-show or people don't check in after the check-in window closes? I'm a larger person, and although I fit in an economy seat just fine, I was hoping that I'd be able to sit up front and take a nap without having to worry about whether I'm making my seatmate uncomfortable. (In hindsight, I really should have booked an F seat for myself, but I paid for MCE instead trying to gamble on the middle seat going out empty)

This is a domestic flight.

flyingeph12 Dec 3, 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Marsh11 (Post 31800364)
Hey folks,

I suspect this may not be possible, but is there any way to fly from Washington DC to Minsk, Belarus on Oneworld? If not, is there a reasonable routing that includes OW for at least the TATL segment? I can't seem to make anything work with only 2 segments going via Frankfurt, Warsaw, or Vienna. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Finnair codeshares with Belavia on HEL-MSQ. I知 not sure you値l earn AAdvantage credit for the Belavia-operated flight, even with the AY code, but AY will sell you a DCA-MSQ ticket.

gateH15 Dec 3, 2019 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31802221)
Finnair codeshares with Belavia on HEL-MSQ. I知 not sure you値l earn AAdvantage credit for the Belavia-operated flight, even with the AY code, but AY will sell you a DCA-MSQ ticket.

There will be no advantage earnings for HEL-MSQ leg. DCA-HEL will earn according to AY table

MathMusic Dec 4, 2019 6:39 am

Originally Posted by chunky649 (Post 31801405)

No free luggage on international flights unfortunately which would include USA-Canada flights

chunky649 Dec 4, 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 31803575)
No free luggage on international flights unfortunately which would include USA-Canada flights

Thats too bad... Nonetheless, I was prepared to go with carry-on only... Thanks.

guv1976 Dec 4, 2019 11:19 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 31803575)

I'm not so sure about that. See this thread from last year:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-purposes.html

CalAlumnus13 Dec 4, 2019 3:27 pm

I made PLT in 2019, and thus will have the benefits through January 31, 2021.

Will I earn 500-mile upgrades every 12,500 miles in 2020, or will I only earn them after re-qualifying for Gold in 2020?

DMPHL Dec 4, 2019 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by CalAlumnus13 (Post 31805707)
I made PLT in 2019, and thus will have the benefits through January 31, 2021.

Will I earn 500-mile upgrades every 12,500 miles in 2020, or will I only earn them after re-qualifying for Gold in 2020?

As a PLT, you'll earn 500-mile upgrades every 12,500 miles as long as you are Platinum. Every revenue flight you take while holding Gold or Platinum status will go toward earning 500-mile upgrades.

diburning Dec 5, 2019 3:02 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31801764)
I don't fly American often, but when I do, I sometimes get solicited for an upgrade offer at OLCI.

I was not solicited this time, and the F cabin is still for sale. Reservations can only upfare me to the fare being sold. I tried a kiosk and it didn't offer me a buy-up, and the check-in counter agent was really nice and tried to see if she could get an offer to come up, but no dice.

I was hoping that my flight would be sold out so that I could get bumped to tomorrow and try again (this is the last flight out of the day), but the agent also told me that although Y is sold out with no inventory, 97 people have not checked in yet (this is ~5 hours out).

What are my chances that I'd be able to get a buy up offer later at an airside customer service counter or at the gate if people no-show or people don't check in after the check-in window closes? I'm a larger person, and although I fit in an economy seat just fine, I was hoping that I'd be able to sit up front and take a nap without having to worry about whether I'm making my seatmate uncomfortable. (In hindsight, I really should have booked an F seat for myself, but I paid for MCE instead trying to gamble on the middle seat going out empty)

This is a domestic flight.

I was not solicited at the kiosk, gate agent didn't bother checking before telling me no, and the last two seats went to people on the upgrade list. Oh well.

55Jack Dec 5, 2019 8:57 am

Segment run?

Hi all

I'm new to your forum but have been traveling for the last 25 years or so. I知 out of CLT, have Platinum status and would like to hit Plat Pro. My issue is I知 going to be short about 4 segments. What is the easiest way to look up cheap flights to hit my goal? I値l have the week of the 16th of December to accomplish this. Tried using Google flight search, from my phone, and ran into difficulties with the multi city search function.

TIA!
Jack

peaches070 Dec 5, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by 55Jack (Post 31808337)
Hi all

I'm new to your forum but have been traveling for the last 25 years or so. I知 out of CLT, have Platinum status and would like to hit Plat Pro. My issue is I知 going to be short about 4 segments. What is the easiest way to look up cheap flights to hit my goal? I値l have the week of the 16th of December to accomplish this. Tried using Google flight search, from my phone, and ran into difficulties with the multi city search function.

TIA!
Jack

I usually would look for the cheapest roundtrip ticket out of CLT (same-day return if you don't want to overnight) or cheapest one-way to other hubs and hop around until you make your way back to CLT.

cheaptom Dec 5, 2019 10:27 am

I have another question about refunds please, if anyone can help with these specifics. First time using AA miles to purchase BA flights TATL. I've always avoided that, but this time I had to due to an inflexible schedule and limited miles. I paid the fuel surcharge to get sAAver award space.
My question is about refunds. Assuming sAAver seats open up on AA metal same itinerary (it's LAX-LHR-FCO), can I re-book onto the AA metal and get the BA surcharge refunded? From what I see, there might be a fee to do this, but it will be worth paying to recoup some of that surcharge.

Also,if we pay BA in advance to select our seats, is that part refundable if we switch to AA flights?

Thank you.