FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Nov 18, 2019 5:03 am

Originally Posted by brengaz (Post 31748931)
As I'm planning my last trips of the year, I want to make sure I project my EQMs and EQDs correctly.
Flying to LHR, outbound is a AA flight number in codeshare, operated by BA
Return is a IB flight number operated by BA. Both outbound and return are in PE.

I am expecting to earn:
Outbound EQD - actual cost of the fare+surcharges outbound
Outbound EQM - distance * 1.5 (for PE)
Return EQD - distance * 20%
Return EQM - distance * 1.5

Does it make a difference if the ticket is issues by AA (001 stock)?

Thanks in advance.

That looks correct, doesn't matter what stock the ticket is on, just the flight number.

TravelinSperry Nov 18, 2019 8:13 am

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31748328)
Cancelation fee varies from 200 to 275 (int flights). Once you cancel you have 1 year to use flight credit minus cancellation fee

So what you're saying is all tickets less than $200 are always worthless if cancelled, correct?

ISTFlyer Nov 18, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 31749624)
So what you're saying is all tickets less than $200 are always worthless if cancelled, correct?

Yes, they are worthless as you would need to pay $200 + fare difference ( if applicable ) to reactivate that ticket on a future flight.
Unfortunately, this is the situation for all the US3 ( $200 ) + Alaska ( $125 - far better ). JetBlue is the only carrier that has a logical cancellation policy.

JJeffrey Nov 18, 2019 10:39 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 31749624)

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31749648)
Yes, they are worthless as you would need to pay $200 + fare difference ( if applicable ) to reactivate that ticket on a future flight.
Unfortunately, this is the situation for all the US3 ( $200 ) + Alaska ( $125 - far better ). JetBlue is the only carrier that has a logical cancellation policy.

I would not make a blanket statement that any ticket below $200 is worthless if cancelled, all depends on the specific fare booked and specific change fee. You just need to call AA to check on any residual value, no on here will be able to tell you for sure.

02wrx Nov 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Bag check allowance?

Currently am AA Gold.
I have purchased a ticket through Iberia from MIA to CDG. The flights fly through PHL and DFW on return, both operated by AA. The Iberia flights also look to be operated by AA.
Will I be able to get free bag check through GOLD status?

On a side note, the PHL-CDG route, will that earn mileage per the Iberia (partner) table or AA table?

gateH15 Nov 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by 02wrx (Post 31750893)
Currently am AA Gold.
I have purchased a ticket through Iberia from MIA to CDG. The flights fly through PHL and DFW on return, both operated by AA. The Iberia flights also look to be operated by AA.
Will I be able to get free bag check through GOLD status?

On a side note, the PHL-CDG route, will that earn mileage per the Iberia (partner) table or AA table?

You will get free checked bag, priority etc
mid you ticket is marketed by Iberia (has IB flight number) you will earn per IB table.

patriotPHL1 Nov 18, 2019 5:42 pm

Standby/SDFC update

Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 31742931)
Unfortunately Standby/SDFC require you to keep the same routings. You would not be able to cut out a connection and standby for the PHL-DFW.

Now if there is a schedule change between now and February (highly likely) you can push to get a better routing if you call and say the new times don't work for you.

There was a schedule change just 4 days after booking this. Good call. AA eliminated their afternoon DFW>YVR. Was able to change to a 1 stop itinerary, reasonable 70 minute connection time. Thanks

mew24680 Nov 18, 2019 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by mew24680 (Post 31745361)
Gate agent as I handed her my boarding ticket.

Maybe I looked young that day haha

tapuach Nov 19, 2019 1:56 am

Hello everyone :)

I'm a BA gold member and a couple of points shorts of hitting my next milestone before my year ends.

I would like to book a round-trip ticket from NYC to LAX or similar, flying in first class on a plane with three cabins to ensure I get the 210 TP per flight as opposed to only 140.

what's the simplest way to book the correct ticket and fare code to ensure that I am flying with a plane that will give me true first class not "domestic first", which BA calculates as business?

Thank you!

Thanks!

sugarapple Nov 19, 2019 2:18 am

Hi, Can anyone tell me where I might find a thread for people who have expiring SWUs and are looking to donate them? Is that even a thing that happens? I have a flight to Shanghai coming up and would like to see if I can acquire 2. Thanks.

JJeffrey Nov 19, 2019 4:47 am

Originally Posted by tapuach (Post 31753154)
Hello everyone :)

I'm a BA gold member and a couple of points shorts of hitting my next milestone before my year ends.

I would like to book a round-trip ticket from NYC to LAX or similar, flying in first class on a plane with three cabins to ensure I get the 210 TP per flight as opposed to only 140.

what's the simplest way to book the correct ticket and fare code to ensure that I am flying with a plane that will give me true first class not "domestic first", which BA calculates as business?

Thank you!

Thanks!

All of the nonstops, and only the nonstops, from JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO offer 3 class service, so just make sure you book one of those. And obviously make sure you book first class (F, A) and not business class (J, D, R, I).

If you search a JFK-LAX roundtrip at aa.com you can see the three class flights, with Business and First class easily spelled out.

JJeffrey Nov 19, 2019 4:52 am

Originally Posted by sugarapple (Post 31753178)
Hi, Can anyone tell me where I might find a thread for people who have expiring SWUs and are looking to donate them? Is that even a thing that happens? I have a flight to Shanghai coming up and would like to see if I can acquire 2. Thanks.

A search of "expiring SWU" quickly brought it up.

Just a reminder that it's against the rules to solicit SWUs, however if someone offers then you can of course respond.

Also, AA has changed the rules this year to allow members to use expiring SWUs on flights past the expiration date, as long as there's confirmable space at booking. So I suspect there will be a lot less activity on there this year compared to years past.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...onditions.html

nychk Nov 19, 2019 6:58 am

I booked two tickets for travel yesterday (Nov. 18) for travel today (Nov. 19), and did not note down the PNRs thinking that I would receive a confirmation email shortly. However, I did not. It's been 14 hours since I booked.

I'm sure the ticket was booked though, as my browser history shows two visits to "Finish Page" and "Details of your Trip". The charge also reflects as Pending on my Amex and I've phoned reservations who were unable to locate any passengers traveling by my name. If the charges were posted, I would be able to pull the ticket number through Amex, but no luck yet. So now I am without the PNRs and unable to be sure if my tickets were ticketed.

Any advice on what I can do?

JJeffrey Nov 19, 2019 7:24 am

Originally Posted by nychk (Post 31753775)
I booked two tickets for travel yesterday (Nov. 18) for travel today (Nov. 19), and did not note down the PNRs thinking that I would receive a confirmation email shortly. However, I did not. It's been 14 hours since I booked.

I'm sure the ticket was booked though, as my browser history shows two visits to "Finish Page" and "Details of your Trip". The charge also reflects as Pending on my Amex and I've phoned reservations who were unable to locate any passengers traveling by my name. If the charges were posted, I would be able to pull the ticket number through Amex, but no luck yet. So now I am without the PNRs and unable to be sure if my tickets were ticketed.

Any advice on what I can do?

As long as you are the passenger then at aa.com you can search for reservations using only your name, flight number, and date. However if you called AA and they didn't see you as booked on the flight, then that would lead me to believe that something messed up with it. Even if your ticket is pending (or on hold, etc.) a reservations agent can still see your booking and itinerary, etc.

nychk Nov 19, 2019 8:17 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31753854)
As long as you are the passenger then at aa.com you can search for reservations using only your name, flight number, and date. However if you called AA and they didn't see you as booked on the flight, then that would lead me to believe that something messed up with it. Even if your ticket is pending (or on hold, etc.) a reservations agent can still see your booking and itinerary, etc.

Not sure if I see the Name, Flight Number, Date option on website. That's what I suspected since the agents couldn't locate it. Given that the first flight is 2 hours away, probably planning on not showing up at the airport and disputing the charges later.