Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC
Thanks again, good tip on the AA vaca site, it didn't go up much for 3 nights 4* but I couldn't get it to come down - hey ho.
EQ anything was not really of interest, a domestic A->B is 12.5k miles and (@x5) a base fare of $1650 = 8250 miles. I was kinda hopeful of miles flown (11,200) x a factor to get over the 12.5k
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
If I buy a ticket through AA vacations in coach can I request a mileage upgrade and / or a system wide upgrade (ExecPlat)?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dingo
If I buy a ticket through AA vacations in coach can I request a mileage upgrade and / or a system wide upgrade (ExecPlat)?
Yes, no different than if you purchased it at aa.com.
dingo and JDiver like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Had to cancel a reward itinerary (two one ways) for a friend who was joining me on a trip. Looks like I'd hit one of those new non-changeable reward fares. Was quoted 150USD to redeposit the miles. It was 17.5k; I guess it'll have to let it go and be more careful next time. I moved the return leg in the future hoping and might be able to cancel with no charge if I make it to EXP later this year.

I asked the agent if they would waive one of the two fees for redepositing the miles if I can cancel both. He said that as long as it's two record locators both 150USD fees are payable. I am surprised - I thought you could cancel more than one sector in one go for a reduced fee if they are all part of the same trip (same pax, same area, etc). Can anyone confirm the agent was right?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Should be $150+$25 if redepositing two awards from the same account, iirc.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by JDiver
Should be $150+$25 if redepositing two awards from the same account, iirc.
Indeed, that was my recollection too. So I called again; the other AAgent restated that it's only $150+$25 if it's a further pax on the same RL, or a single pax on multiple sectors; but two RLs would attract 2x$150USD redeposit fee even for the same pax and even if the miles came from the same account. Still surprised...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Exp
Hey all- If I buy a standard economy ticket and then successfully upgrade using miles, how are the EQD/EQM/EQS calculated? I assume it stays standard to the economy fare
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Hey all- If I buy a standard economy ticket and then successfully upgrade using miles, how are the EQD/EQM/EQS calculated? I assume it stays standard to the economy fare
They will be based on the fare payed unless you upgrade by paying the fare difference.
JDiver and bscooter26 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:24 pm

I want to book an one way flight from MIA to LAX on 12/21 with miles. There are flights available at 12,500 miles but their departure time doesn't work for me. There are better flights but at 50,000 miles. Should I continue to wait and hope they release more fligh in the coming months?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sn2015
I want to book an one way flight from MIA to LAX on 12/21 with miles. There are flights available at 12,500 miles but their departure time doesn't work for me. There are better flights but at 50,000 miles. Should I continue to wait and hope they release more fligh in the coming months?
December is still eons away, definitely a chance that other options will open up before then. AA offers free date and time changes on awards, so you could always book one of the flights for 12.5k now to at least have something, then keep watching it and switch to a better option should it open up.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts relating to new / very low post count members’ posting limitations have been moved to the Technical Support and Feedback forum, to the thread New Member Posting Restriction [URL - link - image], as they pertain there and are not relevant to American Airlines.

Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
December is still eons away, definitely a chance that other options will open up before then. AA offers free date and time changes on awards, so you could always book one of the flights for 12.5k now to at least have something, then keep watching it and switch to a better option should it open up.
Thanks. One option I am looking is to buy the ticket. According to Google flights, an MIA-LAX non-stop flight is about $210 taxes/fees included.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Mileage tickets

For an AA mileage ticket, the amount of taxes and fees seems to vary a lot for different dates for the same trip. It seems lower in the winter, but I can't seem to get a handle on just when the change happens. Is it date specific, or are there other factors involved?

I'm trying to use my pitiful accumulation of AA miles for a one-way to Europe this next fall. I'm MSP based, so mostly just get DL miles. I'll use those for a one-way to get back home.

Thank you for any help. I did look on the AA web site first.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Romelle
For an AA mileage ticket, the amount of taxes and fees seems to vary a lot for different dates for the same trip. It seems lower in the winter, but I can't seem to get a handle on just when the change happens. Is it date specific, or are there other factors involved?

I'm trying to use my pitiful accumulation of AA miles for a one-way to Europe this next fall. I'm MSP based, so mostly just get DL miles. I'll use those for a one-way to get back home.

Thank you for any help. I did look on the AA web site first.
Need specifics on your exact routings and carriers to be able to see what's going on. If any of your potential longhaul segments are on BA metal then these come with hefty ripoff fuel surcharges.
JDiver and Romelle like this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA
Are passengers flying international first or business class using AAdvantage awards considered "non-revenue" passengers for the purposes of eligibility to enter Admirals Clubs? It says that "non-revenue" passengers are not eligible for lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.