FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

NYC Flyer Mar 12, 2019 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Rookie3 (Post 30880007)
Quick question - if I am flying on AA metal on a BA marketed flight do I earn EQM based on miles flown or does the BA rate code come into play? What about EQD? I'm not sure why I can get the same AA flights for around $500 from BA or $950 from AA but that is the situation I am looking at. Thanks.

If your ticket is issued by BA and your flights are coded BA, you will earn EQM/RDM/EQD based on partner earning schedule applicable to BA.

Rookie3 Mar 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 30880065)
If your ticket is issued by BA and your flights are coded BA, you will earn EQM/RDM/EQD based on partner earning schedule applicable to BA.

Thanks. Too bad there's not a way (that I am aware of) to get AA to match the price. That is too big of a difference to pay for the current version of full "earnings" and a limited shot at swus clearing. Why BA charges significantly less for AA flights is beyond me.

NYC Flyer Mar 12, 2019 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rookie3 (Post 30880259)
Thanks. Too bad there's not a way (that I am aware of) to get AA to match the price.

Technically, a travel agent can submit an itinerary to the desired carrier for a price match (if you've booked through one), but if the ticket is already issued, it's a bit late.

JJeffrey Mar 13, 2019 4:47 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 30880065)

And just to be clear, because this comes up frequently, with AA it doesn't matter who issues the ticket, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on.

JDiver Mar 13, 2019 9:10 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30880996)
And just to be clear, because this comes up frequently, with AA it doesn't matter who issues the ticket, all that matters is what flight number you're booked on.

O
Thank you. There’s been a lot of “but it’s on XYZ Airlines ticket stock”. Immaterial.

The marketing airline is what counts (the airline and flight usually on the boarding pass, the “codeshare”). The operating airline operates the airplane, the marketing airline the miles.

DeltaNeutral28 Mar 13, 2019 9:51 am

Newbie AA question, but if I have the Exex card with citi and book an award flight with AA that is actually using Alaska, will I still be able to access the lounge past Nov 1 2019 ?

JDiver Mar 13, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 (Post 30881977)
Newbie AA question, but if I have the Exex card with citi and book an award flight with AA that is actually using Alaska, will I still be able to access the lounge past Nov 1 2019 ?

Yes, because of the AA - AS lounge use reciprocity agreement, possibly except SFO.

rittenhousesq Mar 14, 2019 8:02 pm

I'm a UA flyer and got the Gold challenge from AA and just booked a flight with them. I don't see anywhere in my reservation where they show how my EQMs and EQDs I will be earning for my flights. Is there a way I can view this information?
Thanks for your help!

JDiver Mar 14, 2019 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq (Post 30888797)
I'm a UA flyer and got the Gold challenge from AA and just booked a flight with them. I don't see anywhere in my reservation where they show how my EQMs and EQDs I will be earning for my flights. Is there a way I can view this information?
Thanks for your help!

As you book, there’s a point at which you can see your accruals.

For now, figure from you fare class how many EQM you’ll earn flying AA as AA (AA marketed and operated) using this chart. Basically, full First if Business, 3 EQM per flown mile, discounted First or abusiness, 2 EQM. Premium Economy, 1.5 EQM, Economy 1 EQM, Basuck Economy 0.5 EQM.

EQD AA marketed and operated will be the basic fare and any carrier imposed fee, not taxes, airport and ancillary (baggage, seat, etc.) fees at $1.00 = 1 EQD. You can see that by using the refunds site to look over your receipt (you’ll require your ticket number, beginning with “001” in your case. https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

We also have threads on these topics here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html

rittenhousesq Mar 15, 2019 6:48 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30889155)
As you book, there’s a point at which you can see your accruals.

For now, figure from you fare class how many EQM you’ll earn flying AA as AA (AA marketed and operated) using this chart. Basically, full First if Business, 3 EQM per flown mile, discounted First or abusiness, 2 EQM. Premium Economy, 1.5 EQM, Economy 1 EQM, Basuck Economy 0.5 EQM.

EQD AA marketed and operated will be the basic fare and any carrier imposed fee, not taxes, airport and ancillary (baggage, seat, etc.) fees at $1.00 = 1 EQD. You can see that by using the refunds site to look over your receipt (you’ll require your ticket number, beginning with “001” in your case. https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

We also have threads on these topics here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2019-a.html

Thanks for this information. Wow, AA makes it difficult. My accruals are clearly listed on my receipt and reservation on my UA flights.

rkh29 Mar 15, 2019 9:58 am

I have a BUD-PHL-SEA business, then first award. I know I can access lounge in BUD but am unclear if I access lounge in PHL.

enpremiere Mar 15, 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by rkh29 (Post 30890775)
I have a BUD-PHL-SEA business, then first award. I know I can access lounge in BUD but am unclear if I access lounge in PHL.

Assuming that you mean BUD-PHL in business and then PHL-SEA in domestic first, then yes. You would just need to show your boarding pass in PHL but you shouldn't have any problems there!

Rincon75 Mar 15, 2019 2:54 pm

I've been lurking for a few weeks as I was interviewing for my first travel job and I was trying to figure out which airline I should partner with if I was hired. It looks like this will be happening now, so I need to do more than just lurk and absorb and I need to choose an airline to start my relationship with. I think AA makes the logical sense since I will be flying out of PHL. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction when it comes to learning about fare class codes. I've been searching the forums and I'm not finding any kind of beginner breakdown of the code system.

enpremiere Mar 15, 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rincon75 (Post 30891917)
I've been lurking for a few weeks as I was interviewing for my first travel job and I was trying to figure out which airline I should partner with if I was hired. It looks like this will be happening now, so I need to do more than just lurk and absorb and I need to choose an airline to start my relationship with. I think AA makes the logical sense since I will be flying out of PHL. I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction when it comes to learning about fare class codes. I've been searching the forums and I'm not finding any kind of beginner breakdown of the code system.

Here you go!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...d-threads.html

Good luck with the job interview!

glboisvert Mar 15, 2019 5:25 pm

I'll soon be traveling on an itinerary that starts with a domestic flight but connects to an international flight. The AA website says that I have to be checked in 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights and 90 for international. Do I have to abide by the 90 minute rule because I'm going abroad, or do I get the benefit of the 45 minute rule because my first flight is domestic? I can check-in online if need be, but I'll need to check a bag and my departure airport is small enough that I'd rather not be there too early.

Mwenenzi Mar 15, 2019 5:27 pm

Rincon75 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Rincon75 (Post 30891917)

If the travel is work, best to find out if your new employer has a travel policy/preferred airlines/corporate travel agent.
Where you will be going could make a big difference. PHL is only part of the travel.

JJeffrey Mar 16, 2019 7:14 am

Originally Posted by glboisvert (Post 30892342)
I'll soon be traveling on an itinerary that starts with a domestic flight but connects to an international flight. The AA website says that I have to be checked in 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights and 90 for international. Do I have to abide by the 90 minute rule because I'm going abroad, or do I get the benefit of the 45 minute rule because my first flight is domestic? I can check-in online if need be, but I'll need to check a bag and my departure airport is small enough that I'd rather not be there too early.

At a small outstation airport you definitely don't need to be there 90 mins before in this type of scenario. If you've already checked in online and just need to drop a bag, then technically you could get the benefit of the 45 min rule, although personally I would still try to allow at least 60 mins just in case.

TechMarauder Mar 16, 2019 8:38 am

This is the first year I’m a Gold. I found a great deal to Iceland that includes 1 bag. Do I get an additional bag allowance as a gold or is it just 1 bag total?

guv1976 Mar 16, 2019 8:46 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder (Post 30893958)
This is the first year I’m a Gold. I found a great deal to Iceland that includes 1 bag. Do I get an additional bag allowance as a gold or is it just 1 bag total?

One bag total. Your Gold status merely waives the fee for a first checked bag on fares that do not already include a first checked bag for free.

DCAFly Mar 18, 2019 5:47 pm

BE newbie questions

I flew AA basic economy for the first time this weekend, just to see what all the fuss is about. It was DCA-ALB on a CRJ with plane-side bag check and (at DCA), mass boarding and a shuttle bus to the plane. With status I could still check a bag for free and at ALB I had early boarding. So the only downside is no seat selection and only 50% of the already measly 500 MQMs. Since the CRJ has a 2-2 configuration and the flight is 50 minutes, the no seat selection is hardly a Job-like affliction.

Here are my questions for the wise ones:
  1. On the outbound I checked in via the app ~ T-18 hours and had the option to buy a seat ($9 for front of plane, $19 for exit row). Does that always happen with a BE fare? I thought you just got what they gave you and there was no upsell option. Or is AA just that hungry for any revenue from any passenger it can get.
  2. I opted to forgo the purchase just to see what would happen, and they stuck me at the back of the plane. Exactly what I expected. Then, on the return, I didn't check in until the airport and got row 2 (this is a CRJ with no MCE). Again, is this common, even in a situation where it's a bigger jet with MCE seats? Seems like it would be egregiously unfair for a BE fare pax to check in late and grab an MCE seat instead of person on a regular economy fare who paid more but didn't purchase a preferred/MCE seat.
It was a fun experiment, but I really can't see using BE much in the future. I guess for a regional jet, < 1 hour flight, it may be useful.

SLINKYTRAVEL Mar 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Award Hold kicks back after canceling?

Hello fellow AAer, if I have an award on hold and I cancel will that award kick back into available inventory for another person to book (either also via AA or via BA)? Thanks!

JJeffrey Mar 18, 2019 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by SLINKYTRAVEL (Post 30903277)
Hello fellow AAer, if I have an award on hold and I cancel will that award kick back into available inventory for another person to book (either also via AA or via BA)? Thanks!

It might or it might not, there's certainly no guarantee.

Rincon75 Mar 19, 2019 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 30892351)
Rincon75 Welcome to FT

If the travel is work, best to find out if your new employer has a travel policy/preferred airlines/corporate travel agent.
Where you will be going could make a big difference. PHL is only part of the travel.

I did ask that. Apparently they have no preferred relationships with any one airline, car rental, or hotel. I can either book with their corporate card, or I can choose to use my own personal card and get reimbursed. Only one person I spoke with so far uses his own card. I will be mostly travelling to the eastern part of the country (both north and south) so AA makes the most sense. I'm off to research the fare types now.

Thanks again for the help. Im sure I'll be posting here again soon.

MathMusic Mar 19, 2019 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Rincon75 (Post 30905516)
I did ask that. Apparently they have no preferred relationships with any one airline, car rental, or hotel. I can either book with their corporate card, or I can choose to use my own personal card and get reimbursed. Only one person I spoke with so far uses his own card. I will be mostly travelling to the eastern part of the country (both north and south) so AA makes the most sense. I'm off to research the fare types now.

Thanks again for the help. Im sure I'll be posting here again soon.

I wish I could get reimbursed by my employer and use my own card, I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve which gets triple points on travel. I wouldn't discount using your own card unless your coworkers have had bad times getting reimbursed.

Rincon75 Mar 19, 2019 11:39 am

Originally Posted by MathMusic (Post 30905661)
I wish I could get reimbursed by my employer and use my own card, I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve which gets triple points on travel. I wouldn't discount using your own card unless your coworkers have had bad times getting reimbursed.

Yes, the one person who uses his own card said that we are very lucky and his old company dictated the airline and hotel and he was required to use a corporate card. They're flying me out for the final interview in 2 weeks, so once the offer is extended I will be sure to get a copy of the travel policy and plan accordingly.

I only have CSR and the Freedom Unlimited card now. So I will need to consider which other cards to get once everything is official. Thanks for your help.

JDiver Mar 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Posts regarding AA awards on Japan Airlines have been moved to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

aa70274 Mar 20, 2019 5:00 pm

LHR Connection

In a couple of days, my family of 4 will be connecting through LHR for the 1st time (well, I did once myself years ago). We have frankenstein award ticket itineraries consisting of AA PHL-LHR (Business class) and then a separate BA booking LHR-CDG (Economy). We will have no checked luggage, and just over 3 hrs between flights. If I understand correctly, we'll arrive T3 and depart T5. I also believe there is an AA lounge landside at T3. Assuming I'm correct so far, I'm wondering if we have time to grab a shower in that lounge and then get to T5, or does it take too long to exit to that lounge and re-enter through security at T5? Is it better to just stay secure-side and transition to T5 (or is that even an option? Maybe we have to exit and re-enter?). Is there any other lounges I should consider (we do have Priority Pass access)?

What would you pros do if in my situation?

JJeffrey Mar 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by aa70274 (Post 30910841)
In a couple of days, my family of 4 will be connecting through LHR for the 1st time (well, I did once myself years ago). We have frankenstein award ticket itineraries consisting of AA PHL-LHR (Business class) and then a separate BA booking LHR-CDG (Economy). We will have no checked luggage, and just over 3 hrs between flights. If I understand correctly, we'll arrive T3 and depart T5. I also believe there is an AA lounge landside at T3. Assuming I'm correct so far, I'm wondering if we have time to grab a shower in that lounge and then get to T5, or does it take too long to exit to that lounge and re-enter through security at T5? Is it better to just stay secure-side and transition to T5 (or is that even an option? Maybe we have to exit and re-enter?). Is there any other lounges I should consider (we do have Priority Pass access)?

Your PHL-LHR flight in business will grant you access to any of the BA business lounges at T5, which have showers. Just make sure to hang on to your boarding pass to show for entry since these are separate tickets. When you land at T3, just follow signs for flight connections, take the bus to T5, clear security, and then head to one of the lounges.

aa70274 Mar 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30910958)
Your PHL-LHR flight in business will grant you access to any of the BA business lounges at T5, which have showers. Just make sure to hang on to your boarding pass to show for entry since these are separate tickets. When you land at T3, just follow signs for flight connections, take the bus to T5, clear security, and then head to one of the lounges.

That sounds great. I thought those were “departure” lounges, so we wouldn’t have access since our departure is in economy. Glad to be wrong. Thanks.

JJeffrey Mar 21, 2019 5:20 am

Originally Posted by aa70274 (Post 30911445)
That sounds great. I thought those were “departure” lounges, so we wouldn’t have access since our departure is in economy. Glad to be wrong. Thanks.

They are departure lounges. If you were just flying LHR-CDG in economy (with no status) then you wouldn't have access. But since you're connecting from an eligible oneworld long haul flight in business, you get lounge access before your short connecting flight, even if it's in economy.

JDiver Mar 21, 2019 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by aa70274 (Post 30910841)

Three hours is what many of us consider reasonable connection time T3-T5. Use the Flight Connections channel on arrival and get to T-5, use one of the Galleries Business lounges there. You might have time for a shower, you may well not. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-ba-ib-t5.html, particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page.

trmoncrief Mar 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Upgrade to Premium Economy on American Airlines

I am booked to go from DFW to Kona Hawaii in August and can upgrade to Main Cabin Extra but there is not an option for Premium Economy. When I do a simulated booking, Premium Economy is available so I am confused why I don't see that option. It would be a paid upgrade as I have no points with American. If I upgrade to MCE, will Premium Economy appear or is there another way?

Thanks in advance!

Shadowfactor Mar 21, 2019 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by trmoncrief (Post 30914747)
I am booked to go from DFW to Kona Hawaii in August and can upgrade to Main Cabin Extra but there is not an option for Premium Economy. When I do a simulated booking, Premium Economy is available so I am confused why I don't see that option. It would be a paid upgrade as I have no points with American. If I upgrade to MCE, will Premium Economy appear or is there another way?

Thanks in advance!

MCE isn’t really an upgrade. It’s a seat selection for a fee.

you can call AA and upfare to PE if that’s what you wanted. It will be the difference between your current fare and the new published fare in effect for today.

No change fees and you will earn higher elite credits for doing the upfare.

JJeffrey Mar 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by trmoncrief (Post 30914747)

Thanks in advance!

The MCE 'upgrade' you're seeing really isn't an upgrade, you're just given the option of paying for a better seat assignment in the same ticketed cabin (economy).

Premium Economy is an entirely different cabin, you cannot upgrade into it, but you can upfare to PE by paying the fare difference between economy and PE. This can't be done online so you'll need to call AA.

trmoncrief Mar 21, 2019 9:54 pm

Called the airline and they said the Premium Economy Seats were only available to purchase with miles or upgrades.

747FC Mar 22, 2019 12:11 am

Question about AA Award Ticket Change Policies

My wife and I earned enough miles on our first AA international trip last year to now book a one-way J award trip. Right now, we are seeing availability for our itinerary using JL, but the connection is not optimal. My question is regarding AA policy on changing award tickets (should we book this one and a better connection later opens up). Is changing the award routing/ticket relatively straightforward and is there a penalty? Is there any added complication given that the actual operating carrier is a partner?

Many thanks.

applejax Mar 22, 2019 1:09 am

Help! I was targeted for a AA "Get free Platinum status" Where I must fly 12,000 EQM's and spend $1,500 EQD's by May 15th to keep Platinum status for the rest of the year. My question is this:

If I buy a round trip ticket via AA website where the first leg of the ticket is completed prior to May 15th but the return is after May 15th what part of this ticket will count towards the challenge?

Heres the example JFK-TLV March 30 2019 and returning TLV-JFK May 31 2019 total cost $859.00 5677miles each way

1. I'm curious what millage will count towards the challenge?
2. Will the entire cost of the ticket credit towards the challenge as soon as I fly the first leg?
3. Will the millage from the first leg count towards the challenge as soon as its flown?

Thank you for your help and responses.

MADPhil Mar 22, 2019 2:32 am

Originally Posted by applejax (Post 30915848)
Help! I was targeted for a AA "Get free Platinum status" Where I must fly 12,000 EQM's and spend $1,500 EQD's by May 15th to keep Platinum status for the rest of the year. My question is this:

If I buy a round trip ticket via AA website where the first leg of the ticket is completed prior to May 15th but the return is after May 15th what part of this ticket will count towards the challenge?

Heres the example JFK-TLV March 30 2019 and returning TLV-JFK May 31 2019 total cost $859.00 5677miles each way

1. I'm curious what millage will count towards the challenge?
2. Will the entire cost of the ticket credit towards the challenge as soon as I fly the first leg?
3. Will the millage from the first leg count towards the challenge as soon as its flown?

Thank you for your help and responses.

All the credits (including cost) will credit segment by segment as they are flown. The credit will be earned on the local date and time the flight departs but may not show for a day or two.

Mwenenzi Mar 22, 2019 2:53 am

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30915760)
My wife and I earned enough miles on our first AA international trip last year to now book a one-way J award trip. Right now, we are seeing availability for our itinerary using JL, but the connection is not optimal. My question is regarding AA policy on changing award tickets (should we book this one and a better connection later opens up). Is changing the award routing/ticket relatively straightforward and is there a penalty? Is there any added complication given that the actual operating carrier is a partner?

if you find 2 long haul business class awards that are anything close to what you want just book them now.
Not in 10 minutes time (they may have gone if you wait).

General award info & questions here--->
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

JJeffrey Mar 22, 2019 4:39 am

Originally Posted by trmoncrief (Post 30915507)
Called the airline and they said the Premium Economy Seats were only available to purchase with miles or upgrades.

That is nonsense from AA (not surprising). You need to HUCA.

When you HUCA, tell them you have a ticket booked that you are thinking about changing, and give them your PNR. Then ask what is the Premium Economy fare on your exact flights. The difference between your original fare, and whatever the agent quotes you, is what you should have to pay to upfare into PE.

You can take any guesswork out by doing your homework beforehand, go to aa.com and search DFW-Kona on your exact flights, and see what the PE fare is. Again the difference between your original coach fare and that is what you should have to pay. Since you are moving to a higher class of service you don't have to pay the change fee.