FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

chet Oct 5, 19 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024 (Post 31596772)
Yes, that benefit for you and +1 is still there...just need to call in and book full Y fare at least 24 hours before departure of first flight.

Thanks. Another question. How do you find sold out flights? They don't appear in aa.com searches.

happyvoid Oct 5, 19 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31585328)
Yep, exactly as you said. Book economy now, if business or first opens up later, just call AA and pay the additional miles but no fee.

Thanks for the info. If previously it was a direct flight to lax but I see a first class saver but it stops in ORD but the final destination is still LAX would I be able to use additional miles without any fees for the upgrade

teddyflyer Oct 5, 19 11:26 pm

PHX or DFW

We are planning to fly from DEN to SJD with a transit in PHX or DFW.

We are OneWorld Emerald (Qantas).

Will likely fly within US in Economy (flights seem not long enough to justify First).

Question:

- which airport is better for the stop over (assuming we stay over night)?
- do flights to Mexico access international terminals/lounges?

Thanks

JDiver Oct 6, 19 12:19 am

Originally Posted by teddyflyer (Post 31597781)
We are planning to fly from DEN to SJD with a transit in PHX or DFW.

We are OneWorld Emerald (Qantas).

Will likely fly within US in Economy (flights seem not long enough to justify First).

Question:

- which airport is better for the stop over (assuming we stay over night)?
- do flights to Mexico access international terminals/lounges?

Thanks

On an international connection you can have as long as 23:59 to connect.

DFW has a couple of Hyatts at the airport. PHX has some hotels near the airport. See sleepinginairports.net for hotels at or near airports.

As AA Emeralds only MEX would allow lounge access. As Qantas Emerald you can access Admirals Clubs even flying domestically. I believe that applies to the better Flagship Lounges as well.

teddyflyer Oct 6, 19 3:51 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31597838)
On an international connection you can have as long as 23:59 to connect.

DFW has a couple of Hyatts at the airport. PHX has some hotels near the airport. See sleepinginairports.net for hotels at or near airports.

As AA Emeralds only MEX would allow lounge access. As Qantas Emerald you can access Admirals Clubs even flying domestically. I believe that applies to the better Flagship Lounges as well.

Thanks for the response. The overnight comment was more to indicate we weren’t going to choose the airport based on ease of connection (as we would have a lot of time). Will likely choose based on the lounge. Do you know if DFW or PHX lounge is better? Thanks

flyingeph12 Oct 6, 19 5:25 am

Originally Posted by teddyflyer (Post 31598087)
Thanks for the response. The overnight comment was more to indicate we weren’t going to choose the airport based on ease of connection (as we would have a lot of time). Will likely choose based on the lounge. Do you know if DFW or PHX lounge is better? Thanks

DFW for sure. PHX doesn’t have a Flagship lounge. PHX also doesn’t have a Grand Hyatt connected to the terminal that is, in my opinion, one of the best airport hotels in the US, if not the world. As QF Platinum, you would have access to both Admirals Clubs and Flagship Lounges.

The only thing PHX has going for it is that there’s probably a lower chance of a delay.

ISTFlyer Oct 6, 19 4:11 pm

Just to be sure,

I would travel US domestic in Y with someone else on the same reservation. I'm Oneworld Sapphire at BA and the other pax has no AA or OW status.

I have the allowance of two checked baggage for free ( each 23kgs/50lbs )
Would the second passenger have the same baggage allowance?

gateH15 Oct 6, 19 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer (Post 31599712)
Just to be sure,

I would travel US domestic in Y with someone else on the same reservation. I'm Oneworld Sapphire at BA and the other pax has no AA or OW status.

I have the allowance of two checked baggage for free ( each 23kgs/50lbs )
Would the second passenger have the same baggage allowance?

All people on the same PNR will have the same baggage allowance based on your status

ISTFlyer Oct 6, 19 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31599713)
All people on the same PNR will have the same baggage allowance based on your status

Thank you for the quick answer

jerseytom Oct 7, 19 5:40 am

Here's an curious observation. Got a trip coming up in a bit over a month. Just for grins while experimenting with ExpertFlyer I took a look at the stats, seat maps, etc of my flights.

My last leg is a 757 and seating was pretty wide open, so I picked a usual window seat at booking, in MCE. Interestingly, EF currently shows the two other seats in my row as blocked. Which certainly doesn't seem like a bad thing for me! But I'm fairly convinced the whole row was empty when I picked where I wanted to sit. Any thoughts what this would be about or what triggers it?

tensixmom Oct 7, 19 5:52 am

Just wanted to say thanks to all here- I just booked my first flight on miles! It's just a super saver economy on a short flight from PHX to SNA and back but it saves us several hours driving and gives us more time at our destination!

Too bad we don't need to check a bag as it seems to be a benefit with the Citi AA card, but perhaps I will use that another time!

Seph87 Oct 7, 19 8:11 am

Originally Posted by jerseytom (Post 31601155)
Here's an curious observation. Got a trip coming up in a bit over a month. Just for grins while experimenting with ExpertFlyer I took a look at the stats, seat maps, etc of my flights.

My last leg is a 757 and seating was pretty wide open, so I picked a usual window seat at booking, in MCE. Interestingly, EF currently shows the two other seats in my row as blocked. Which certainly doesn't seem like a bad thing for me! But I'm fairly convinced the whole row was empty when I picked where I wanted to sit. Any thoughts what this would be about or what triggers it?

Airlines will often block seats for crew who are deadheading or need a crew rest area. That's the only reason I could think they'd be blocked 1 month out.

abaheti Oct 7, 19 12:17 pm

Concierge or helper for nervous flyer in Newport News phf?

Sorry, I'm not an American flyer and also don't know this airport. Have someone who for a variety of reasons is super nervous about dealing with airports -- checking in, security, etc. At LAX and other spots I can buy a service where the person gets met at the curb, walked in, someone helps them check in, walks them to security and helps them manage that bit. Some services even help people on to the plane and get them sorted at the gate. I know American offers (5 star?) some service, but doubt it would be available at a tiny airport. Do I have options? Private options? Thanks.

daKav Oct 7, 19 5:47 pm

AA award search is such a cluster. Almost anything that involves QR, EY, and CX out of South Asia and North Africa is just a phantom availability.

AlphonsoMango Oct 8, 19 1:08 pm

I was originally booked on BKK-HKG-JFK in CX J but my flight was cancelled and I was rerouted onto BKK-HKG-EWR. I want to come back a day later but I'm not seeing any availability on CX or JL. If I call in, would the phone agent or airline liaison be able to request for award space since my original ticket was changed? Since I'm booked on CX right now, will AA charge me the redeposit fee if I change to JL?