FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Oct 3, 19 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31591063)
I'm not an AA newbie but this is a first-time problem for me. I have a ~19,000-mile trip on Finnair in J coming up that I'm crediting to AA. I believe I'll be about $150 EQD short of ExPlat when the trip is over (definitely not short of EQM), but I can't find the exact earnings anywhere in the AY booking, and I'd like to know my exact EQD need so I can book my next (and possibly last 2019) flight. Is this info. buried somewhere at AA or AY? If not, would AA be able to tell me if I call in? Thanks.

The AY booking of course is not going to tell you your EQD earning when crediting to AA, and calling AA or AY will get you nowhere so don't even waste your time. You have to calculate it manually:

1) Plug your exact routing into Great Circle Mapper to get the total distance
2) Pull up your AY reservation and get the exact booking code of the flights
3) Bounce these two figures against the AY Earning Chart at aa.com to see how many EQDs you should earn

This is the only way to do it, the GC Mapper distances may not be exactly what you'll see but it will be close enough for this exercise.

For example, if you are booked in an "I" fare, which earns 25% EQD, then a 19,000 mile itinerary would earn 19000 x 25% = $4750 EQD.

joe_miami Oct 3, 19 3:40 pm

Thanks. I'm a first-timer on AY and was surprised to see no earnings listed anywhere in the booking.

I did the above and came out exactly $100 EQD short.

tcfersure Oct 3, 19 4:27 pm

I'm looking at booking a flight to Dublin next year. I am considering buying Premium Economy tickets with the potential of using miles to upgrade to Business. I see on AA's website it shows from discount economy/premium economy costs 25,000 miles+ $350. Is there any benefit that Premium Economy gets you over regular economy in terms of upgrading. Do you get some sort of priority over regular economy upgrades if they both require the same miles and cash. Seems a little odd it costs the same to upgrade even though you have already paid 1.5-2x the price of a regular economy seat. Sorry if its been asked already, thanks!

JJeffrey Oct 3, 19 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by tcfersure (Post 31591457)
I'm looking at booking a flight to Dublin next year. I am considering buying Premium Economy tickets with the potential of using miles to upgrade to Business. I see on AA's website it shows from discount economy/premium economy costs 25,000 miles+ $350. Is there any benefit that Premium Economy gets you over regular economy in terms of upgrading. Do you get some sort of priority over regular economy upgrades if they both require the same miles and cash. Seems a little odd it costs the same to upgrade even though you have already paid 1.5-2x the price of a regular economy seat. Sorry if its been asked already, thanks!

Nope, at this point PE doesn't get you any priority over regular economy on the upgrade list.

So, if you're hoping to upgrade, there's really no benefit, other than if the upgrade doesn't clear at least you're in PE and not regular economy.

Shadowfactor Oct 3, 19 6:28 pm

my fiancée hit AA Gold, but it was all from flying QR. She hasn’t earned any miles towards 500 mileage certificates. Do partner flights not count towards the 12,500 counter ?

JDiver Oct 3, 19 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31591742)
my fiancée hit AA Gold, but it was all from flying QR. She hasn’t earned any miles towards 500 mileage certificates. Do partner flights not count towards the 12,500 counter ?

They count, AFAIK.

Reetmafreen Oct 3, 19 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31591742)

They only start to count after you achieve status. If you had no status and earned 26,000 EQM, you would only have earned 1000 miles towards the 12,500 to earn stickers. So long as you keep some level of status, then all qualifying flights will accrue miles towards stickers (until you hit PPRO, or EXP) in the future.

kaninchen Oct 3, 19 9:24 pm

Hello Guys, I dont have that much experience with AA and AAdvantage, but I do have the following questions and maybe somebody here can assist me a little bit or just give me a clue or an advice that might be helpful.
As a family we do have currently two AAdvantage accounts with 100k of expired miles on each account. So lets say there used to be a balance of 100k AA- miles on each account and they recently expired.

Apparently there used be a so- called individual reactivation -challenge program in the past, as an available option, to reinstate or reactivate expired AA -miles and AAdvantage members could apply for it,
just by calling the AA hotline and by paying once an initial fee. We were told, that this program has been discontinued recently.
We think, that the other option, to get our expired miles back, would be to buy them back, but this option is just too expensive for us and we definitely cannot afford it.
Is there any other way, how we could get the expired miles back at an affordable price or in form of a participation in a challenge program, maybe by personal invitation or upon request only?
Maybe a new challenge program will be reintroduced soon or maybe AA is working right now on a new promotion with similar conditions?

And does anyone know, if there is currently a promotion available even to basic members, to reach the gold- status in a so -called "fast-track" way, just e.g. by completing a certain number of flights within a certain person of time?

Thanks in advance for any helpful idea or advice.

JDiver Oct 4, 19 12:02 am

@kaninchen,

I’d try calling again to ask about a reingagement challenge for your miles. It may have been discontinued, but we haven’t heard anything like that here and the occasional agent will make stuff up to get rid of you.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-2019-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...lenge-etc.html

Gold and Platinum Challenges are available to any AAdvantage member (as long as it’s not to renew status of they haven’t recently flown a Challenge). There’s an extensive Challenge thread with all the details.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...challenge.html

Regardless, call again and ask about reinstating your miles.

jerseytom Oct 4, 19 5:55 pm

Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway, having never booked a ticket on reward points nor gone for an upgrade - ever!

I'm under the impression that if you book a flight as an award on miles, you're not going to earn EQM's off it. I can get that. But what if you purchase a full fare ticket, and then upgrade it? Like let's say I pay for a Y fare and then find one of those miles + copay upgrades up to the next cabin. Would I earn...
  1. EQM's based off the base fare (Y) that I paid for
  2. No EQM's
  3. EQM's on the cabin I've cashed in to upgrade to?
  4. Some other quantity I haven't considered :)

Reetmafreen Oct 4, 19 6:29 pm

Door #1 EQMs/ EQD are earned on the cabin/fare (less taxes) as initially purchased. If you upfared, rather than used an award, then you get the new cabin/fare (again less taxes)

SpammersAreScum Oct 5, 19 9:28 am

Originally Posted by jerseytom (Post 31594967)
Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway, having never booked a ticket on reward points nor gone for an upgrade - ever!

I'm under the impression that if you book a flight as an award on miles, you're not going to earn EQM's off it. I can get that. But what if you purchase a full fare ticket, and then upgrade it? Like let's say I pay for a Y fare and then find one of those miles + copay upgrades up to the next cabin. Would I earn...
  1. EQM's based off the base fare (Y) that I paid for
  2. No EQM's
  3. EQM's on the cabin I've cashed in to upgrade to?
  4. Some other quantity I haven't considered :)

The correct answer in this scenario is 1).

But for an AA flight it doesn't have to be full-fare Economy (Y) in order to upgrade -- discount (but not basic) Economy is sufficient -- and Y can actually cost more than discount Business (usually I).

chet Oct 5, 19 10:17 am

Just made EXP for the first time in ~15 years. Do EXPs still have Guaranteed Main Cabin Availability on sold-out flights?

JY1024 Oct 5, 19 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by chet (Post 31596420)
Just made EXP for the first time in ~15 years. Do EXPs still have Guaranteed Main Cabin Availability on sold-out flights?

Yes, that benefit for you and +1 is still there...just need to call in and book full Y fare at least 24 hours before departure of first flight.

JDiver Oct 5, 19 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by chet (Post 31596420)

Congratulations. I recommend you read https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html.