Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 1, 20, 1:13 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)



Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:


Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)


NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here


The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here


The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 1, 19, 2:15 am
  #1591  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Club
Posts: 141
Can someone help with a quick question. New to EXP and curious about complimentary upgrades. From what I’ve read it appears comp. upgrades clear into R inventory. My flight tomorrow has R inventory available and I haven’t cleared. Called the EXP desk and they said that R inventory is both comp upgrades and revenue.

Is there a way to search for just comp upgrade space?
JakeRobertson212 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 4:51 am
  #1592  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,822
Originally Posted by JakeRobertson212 View Post
Can someone help with a quick question. New to EXP and curious about complimentary upgrades. From what I’ve read it appears comp. upgrades clear into R inventory. My flight tomorrow has R inventory available and I haven’t cleared. Called the EXP desk and they said that R inventory is both comp upgrades and revenue.

Is there a way to search for just comp upgrade space?
Yep, R can be both. There's no way to search for R upgrade space, unfortunately.
JDiver likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 10:49 pm
  #1593  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: SBA and LAX
Programs: AA, UA
Posts: 326
I booked LAX-DFW-LHR/DUB-PHL-LAX on Orbitz (price on orbitz was almost 40% cheaper than AA).

The ticket I got is on Iberia stock (075), although DFW-LHR/DUB-PHL is on AA metal (as are domestic segments). Orbitz also gave me AA and IB record locator. On AA, I can link the trip to my account. It shows all four flights but I can choose only domestic segments. IB doesn't pull the reservation at all.

Given its fine on the AA app, and I'll be checking in at AA counter at LAX and DUB, there is nothing I need to be concerned about, right?
daKav is offline  
Old Oct 1, 19, 11:34 pm
  #1594  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 846
Originally Posted by daKav View Post
I booked LAX-DFW-LHR/DUB-PHL-LAX on Orbitz (price on orbitz was almost 40% cheaper than AA).

The ticket I got is on Iberia stock (075), although DFW-LHR/DUB-PHL is on AA metal (as are domestic segments). Orbitz also gave me AA and IB record locator. On AA, I can link the trip to my account. It shows all four flights but I can choose only domestic segments. IB doesn't pull the reservation at all.

Given its fine on the AA app, and I'll be checking in at AA counter at LAX and DUB, there is nothing I need to be concerned about, right?
Everything should be fine with nothing to worry about. If all segments are showing in your app, then I'd rest easy. May be worth just shooting a DM to the AA Twitter team with the record locator to ask, just for confirmation and peace of mind.
DMPHL is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 2:34 am
  #1595  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 17
Hi, I just got enough AA points to actually book a flight, and I have the Citi AA Biz Card that says "Platinum" on it.

I have an upcoming trip (next week) and had originally planned to drive, but I figure if I can fly for free, then why not? However, it's charging $75 per person per way since it's "close-in."

I'm supposed to get that fee waived since I have that Platinum card (or at least that's how I understand it) but if that's the case, how do I get that to apply? Is it a refund later, or does it come off when I use that same card to pay for the other (much smaller) fees, or how does that work?

Thank you... I'm very new to this!
tensixmom is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 2:50 am
  #1596  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,822
Originally Posted by tensixmom View Post
Hi, I just got enough AA points to actually book a flight, and I have the Citi AA Biz Card that says "Platinum" on it.

I have an upcoming trip (next week) and had originally planned to drive, but I figure if I can fly for free, then why not? However, it's charging $75 per person per way since it's "close-in."

I'm supposed to get that fee waived since I have that Platinum card (or at least that's how I understand it) but if that's the case, how do I get that to apply? Is it a refund later, or does it come off when I use that same card to pay for the other (much smaller) fees, or how does that work?

Thank you... I'm very new to this!
The only way the $75 fee is waived is if you have elite status on AA. AAdvantage credit cards come with several perks that are similar to elite status (free checked bag, priority boarding), but you do not actually have elite status, if that makes sense. Your credit card may be called the Citi Biz Platinum (etc.) but you do not actually get Platinum status on AA.

From aa.com:

AAdvantage® award processing charge
  • A $75 fee will be charged for award tickets booked or mileage upgrades requested less than 21 days prior to departure
  • This charge will be waived for Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum and Gold members using miles from their account
tensixmom likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 2:52 am
  #1597  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
The only way the $75 fee is waived is if you have elite status on AA. AAdvantage credit cards come with several perks that are similar to elite status (free checked bag, priority boarding), but you do not actually have elite status, if that makes sense. Your credit card may be called the Citi Biz Platinum (etc.) but you do not actually get Platinum status on AA.

From aa.com:

Ahhhh, that makes sense!

Thank you so much !!!
tensixmom is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 2:56 am
  #1598  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Posts: 597
Does american airlines charge a fee to upgrade my AAdvantage award tickets?

Does american airlines charge a fee to upgrade my AAdvantage award tickets?
I booked a direct flight from Tokyo to LAX. I am not able to get business class seats now. I booked with AA miles. Can I book Saver economy class now and once there is opening upgrade to business class or first class saver seats by paying the difference in miles without any additional fees?
happyvoid is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 3:06 am
  #1599  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,822
Originally Posted by happyvoid View Post
Does american airlines charge a fee to upgrade my AAdvantage award tickets?
I booked a direct flight from Tokyo to LAX. I am not able to get business class seats now. I booked with AA miles. Can I book Saver economy class now and once there is opening upgrade to business class or first class saver seats by paying the difference in miles without any additional fees?
Yep, exactly as you said. Book economy now, if business or first opens up later, just call AA and pay the additional miles but no fee.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 3:17 am
  #1600  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Posts: 597
oh thanks. Was this always the rule? I notice the website never mention it that was why
happyvoid is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 3:59 am
  #1601  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,822
Originally Posted by happyvoid View Post
oh thanks. Was this always the rule? I notice the website never mention it that was why
Yes, been this way as far back as I can remember. There are lots of AA and AAdvantage policies like this that are not anywhere to be found at aa.com.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 5:50 am
  #1602  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 1
Quick question: if I have a flight booked through a OneWorld partner (SriLankan Airlines) that has legs on American, with an AA flight number for those legs, do I get the standard American EQM and EQD for those legs or are they calculated according to the partner rules (typically half EQM)? I see the key phrase is "marketed by American", but am not 100% sure what that means. Cheers!
raleighguy19 is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 6:51 am
  #1603  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 6,822
Originally Posted by raleighguy19 View Post
Quick question: if I have a flight booked through a OneWorld partner (SriLankan Airlines) that has legs on American, with an AA flight number for those legs, do I get the standard American EQM and EQD for those legs or are they calculated according to the partner rules (typically half EQM)? I see the key phrase is "marketed by American", but am not 100% sure what that means. Cheers!
You will earn EQM/EQD just like any other AA flight.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 1:10 pm
  #1604  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 15,733
Originally Posted by raleighguy19 View Post
... I see the key phrase is "marketed by American", but am not 100% sure what that means.
Marketed by American means an AA flight number.
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:29 pm
  #1605  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
I'm not an AA newbie but this is a first-time problem for me. I have a ~19,000-mile trip on Finnair in J coming up that I'm crediting to AA. I believe I'll be about $150 EQD short of ExPlat when the trip is over (definitely not short of EQM), but I can't find the exact earnings anywhere in the AY booking, and I'd like to know my exact EQD need so I can book my next (and possibly last 2019) flight. Is this info. buried somewhere at AA or AY? If not, would AA be able to tell me if I call in? Thanks.
joe_miami is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: