FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

guv1976 Sep 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mihiker (Post 31547912)
Hi! I’m planning to use AA miles to book one way tickets for 3 in economy from BCN to LHR next July. I have the booking on hold but haven’t purchased.

Does anyone know what economy level this will be on BA? Trying to figure out all the extras I could be charged. I know seats would be extra, any idea on checked bags? It shows fare code X on the AA site.

Thank you!!

You should get one free checked bag per passenger on such a redemption. But if you have -- or can get -- some BA Avios, that would provide better value: just 6,500 or 7,500 Avios + 17.5 GBP per passenger, instead of 12,500 AA miles plus whatever fees AA collects on such a redemption.

SJWarrior Sep 22, 2019 7:01 am

Sorry if already answered. Sitting on my phone and tough to search.

I put ticket on 24 hold today. If I purchase it tomorrow, do I still have 24 hours to cancel it? Or did I burn the 24 hours with the hold?

TIA

flyingeph12 Sep 22, 2019 8:06 am

Originally Posted by SJWarrior (Post 31550670)
Sorry if already answered. Sitting on my phone and tough to search.

I put ticket on 24 hold today. If I purchase it tomorrow, do I still have 24 hours to cancel it? Or did I burn the 24 hours with the hold?

TIA

You still have 24 hours to cancel after ticketing, as long as it’s more than 2 days before your departure. I’ve been able to cancel within 24 hours of ticketing, even when it was within 2 days of departure, but I believe the AA rule is 2 days.

Mihiker Sep 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31549898)
You should get one free checked bag per passenger on such a redemption. But if you have -- or can get -- some BA Avios, that would provide better value: just 6,500 or 7,500 Avios + 17.5 GBP per passenger, instead of 12,500 AA miles plus whatever fees AA collects on such a redemption.

Thank you!! The reason I was going to use AA miles is that I don’t have much use for them. I value URs and MRs much higher than AA miles. The taxes fees worked out to around $20 USD/ticket using AA as well.

Thank you for the info on the checked bag, that helps greatly!!

SJWarrior Sep 22, 2019 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31550775)
You still have 24 hours to cancel after ticketing, as long as it’s more than 2 days before your departure. I’ve been able to cancel within 24 hours of ticketing, even when it was within 2 days of departure, but I believe the AA rule is 2 days.

Thanks, that basically gives me two days to change my mind.

Deacon61 Sep 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Upgrade for companion?

As platinum pro, I thought one companion traveling with you can be upgraded as well? I held a flight for 24 hrs and received an email saying AA was unable to auto request an upgrade (as it usually does). How do I put myself in best position to get an upgrade for us both?

gateH15 Sep 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Deacon61 (Post 31556636)
As platinum pro, I thought one companion traveling with you can be upgraded as well? I held a flight for 24 hrs and received an email saying AA was unable to auto request an upgrade (as it usually does). How do I put myself in best position to get an upgrade for us both?

You have to have enough 500 mile stickers to be able to upgrade your companion. If you don’t have any you can purchase it and request an upgrade for both of you using AA app it aa.com

fc0175 Sep 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Hello,

I have a query regarding AAdvantage elite status, and the likely expiry date of the status. I have read several articles and posts related to qualification periods v membership periods, but unfortunately cannot find the exact answer I am looking for (and indeed different sources unfortunately seem to contradict each other).

In the event I meet the requirements in January 2020, does anyone know if the status should last until January 31,2021 or if instead it should last until January 31,2022?

The source of my confusion is that some sources seem to indicate that it should last for the year you qualify, the following year + January from the next year after that (i.e. until January 31,2022). However a strict reading of the qualification and membership period of the AA website suggests that the benefits would last only until January 31, 2021 since they last from qualification "through the end of the next membership year" (since the membership year I would be in ends on January 31, 2020, it seems the 'next' membership year would end on January 31, 2021).

It is clear to me that if I met the requirements in December 2019 the status would last until January 31, 2021, and that if I met the requirements in February 2020 the status would last until January 31,2022. However the 'inbetween' position of qualifying in January seems a little grey.

I appreciate this is an unusual situation (since it is probably very rare to do enough travel to qualify in just one month!) but just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience/ view on this?

Thank you so much!

JJeffrey Sep 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by fc0175 (Post 31559260)
Hello,

I have a query regarding AAdvantage elite status, and the likely expiry date of the status. I have read several articles and posts related to qualification periods v membership periods, but unfortunately cannot find the exact answer I am looking for (and indeed different sources unfortunately seem to contradict each other).

In the event I meet the requirements in January 2020, does anyone know if the status should last until January 31,2021 or if instead it should last until January 31,2022?

The source of my confusion is that some sources seem to indicate that it should last for the year you qualify, the following year + January from the next year after that (i.e. until January 31,2022). However a strict reading of the qualification and membership period of the AA website suggests that the benefits would last only until January 31, 2021 since they last from qualification "through the end of the next membership year" (since the membership year I would be in ends on January 31, 2020, it seems the 'next' membership year would end on January 31, 2021).

It is clear to me that if I met the requirements in December 2019 the status would last until January 31, 2021, and that if I met the requirements in February 2020 the status would last until January 31,2022. However the 'inbetween' position of qualifying in January seems a little grey.

I appreciate this is an unusual situation (since it is probably very rare to do enough travel to qualify in just one month!) but just wanted to ask if anyone has any experience/ view on this?

Thank you so much!

Any status you qualify for in calendar year 2020 will be good through Jan. 31, 2022. So if you fly enough for status in Jan. 2020, it will be good through Jan. 31, 2022.

This of course assumes you qualify by "natural" methods and not via a challenge or some type of fastrack or promo, etc., which can have different rules.

fc0175 Sep 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31559610)
Any status you qualify for in calendar year 2020 will be good through Jan. 31, 2022. So if you fly enough for status in Jan. 2020, it will be good through Jan. 31, 2022.

This of course assumes you qualify by "natural" methods and not via a challenge or some type of fastrack or promo, etc., which can have different rules.

Thank you JJeffrey, this is very helpful!

oksimr Sep 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Giving away a throwaway ticket

I have a return flight for a RT I am booked on that I can’t make due to a work schedule change. I will be heading to the airport and jumping on a Delta flight around the same time instead (better schedule for that particular airport, and with the change fee it was cheaper to just not take the American flight).

My buddy is flying back to my origin airport on Southwest. Can we both go through security (me on my American ticket, he on his Southwest ticket) and him take my American flight while I take a Delta flight instead? My thought is he might be able to cancel the Southwest flight for a refund past security and save a few bucks.

Not sure of the legality of it, thoughts?

gateH15 Sep 24, 2019 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by oksimr (Post 31560860)
I have a return flight for a RT I am booked on that I can’t make due to a work schedule change. I will be heading to the airport and jumping on a Delta flight around the same time instead (better schedule for that particular airport, and with the change fee it was cheaper to just not take the American flight).

My buddy is flying back to my origin airport on Southwest. Can we both go through security (me on my American ticket, he on his Southwest ticket) and him take my American flight while I take a Delta flight instead? My thought is he might be able to cancel the Southwest flight for a refund past security and save a few bucks.

Not sure of the legality of it, thoughts?

When you are past TSA no one is checking ID at the gate for domestic flights. It’s probably not legal to do it tho

limeyx Sep 24, 2019 11:09 pm

This is probably a dumb question but I was having trouble finding an answer online

I am AA Platinum, flying SEA-LHR with three family members
I know I can access OneWorld lounges at both ends with one guest
What is not clear to me is whether or not I can purchase two extra passes for the kids to get them in also?
Is this written somewhere ?

JJeffrey Sep 25, 2019 6:34 am

Originally Posted by limeyx (Post 31560922)
This is probably a dumb question but I was having trouble finding an answer online

I am AA Platinum, flying SEA-LHR with three family members
I know I can access OneWorld lounges at both ends with one guest
What is not clear to me is whether or not I can purchase two extra passes for the kids to get them in also?
Is this written somewhere ?

BA has it's own lounge at SEA and it does not allow extra guests for a fee. So you'll need to decide which family member you want take in with you.

JMBResona Sep 25, 2019 7:20 am

This is very trivial, but I let 400 ish miles expire a few years ago.

Every time I login on aa.com ever since, it always asks me if I want to reinstate them. It's become an extremely mild annoyance. Is there any way to permanently disable these notifications?