Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by loopflyer
No AA status. On AA award ticket, one PNR: MAD-JFK on IB in J, connecting on AA in F to ORD. Will I have access to AA Flagship Lounge at JFK? Thank you in advance.
Yea you will have access to FL in JFK
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Just not sure where to post this.

Say that I expect to end the year short of EQD by a small amount - say under $100 - for the status I want.

Is there a way to buy a more expensive ticket than necessary, say by buying either an economy or first class ticket in a higher fare bucket? Most F tickets will probably have a big difference, but I assume that the fare bucket differences for a (say) $250 coach ticket are relatively small.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
Just not sure where to post this.

Say that I expect to end the year short of EQD by a small amount - say under $100 - for the status I want.

Is there a way to buy a more expensive ticket than necessary, say by buying either an economy or first class ticket in a higher fare bucket? Most F tickets will probably have a big difference, but I assume that the fare bucket differences for a (say) $250 coach ticket are relatively small.
It is absolutely possible to call and upfare. Do it in the first 24 hours. If upfare option is too expensive you can cancel for free. Also still check how much is F - sometimes it’s not that much more. I flew to ORD NYC over Labor Day weekend and F was only 10 bucks more than economy.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by gateH15
It is absolutely possible to call and upfare. Do it in the first 24 hours. If upfare option is too expensive you can cancel for free. Also still check how much is F - sometimes it’s not that much more. I flew to ORD NYC over Labor Day weekend and F was only 10 bucks more than economy.
I am checking F fares also. I was under the impression that "upfaring" only applied to moving to a higher cabin.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:37 pm

I am checking F fares also. I was under the impression that "upfaring" only applied to moving to a higher cabin.
Not necessarily. If you are looking to book economy far out, you will see cheap economy fares. You can call and bump it to Y fare code which is the most expensive. Or whatever other fare codes they have for sale
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
New Platinum here, thanks to Hyatt match. Quick question...

Plats get a 60% bonus. When flying on a cheap 25% earning BA ticket, is that 60% of miles flown (as BAEC would do it) or 60% of whatever the underlying ticket earns?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:20 am

So what is the best way to get on the GrAAvy train now? I am 4/24 and p2 is 3/24. I am somewhat familiar with the 48 month language rule, but it can be circumvented with mailers correct? I am just trying to acquire 300k AA by next August. Thank you for any help
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by craigthemif
New Platinum here, thanks to Hyatt match. Quick question...

Plats get a 60% bonus. When flying on a cheap 25% earning BA ticket, is that 60% of miles flown (as BAEC would do it) or 60% of whatever the underlying ticket earns?
Assuming you've booked a BA flight number, then for fare buckets that earn 25%, you would earn base miles at distance x 25%, plus 60% bonus as a PLT.

So if the flight distance is 1000 miles, you would earn 1000 x 25% = 250 base miles, plus 250 x 60% = 150 PLT bonu, for a grand total of 400 RDM.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Corse899
So what is the best way to get on the GrAAvy train now? I am 4/24 and p2 is 3/24. I am somewhat familiar with the 48 month language rule, but it can be circumvented with mailers correct? I am just trying to acquire 300k AA by next August. Thank you for any help
Welcome to FT. As your question is dealing with credit cards, I'd really recommend you take some time to peruse the credit card forums and research/ask over there. Much better info than what you'll get here regarding sign up bonuses, benefits, as well as answers to questions regarding application rules, approval odds, etc. etc.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-programs-390/
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Assuming you've booked a BA flight number, then for fare buckets that earn 25%, you would earn base miles at distance x 25%, plus 60% bonus as a PLT.

So if the flight distance is 1000 miles, you would earn 1000 x 25% = 250 base miles, plus 250 x 60% = 150 PLT bonu, for a grand total of 400 RDM.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welcome to FT. As your question is dealing with credit cards, I'd really recommend you take some time to peruse the credit card forums and research/ask over there. Much better info than what you'll get here regarding sign up bonuses, benefits, as well as answers to questions regarding application rules, approval odds, etc. etc.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-programs-390/
More specifically, you are thinking of the Citi AA cards, discussed in Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) and Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers

But also look into the Barclay AA card: Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card - now 60K
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: CK or bust
While it's possible to up-fare within a cabin, there are some instances where upfaring or buy-outs would incur a change fee or are no longer permitted at all such as these basic economy scenarios:

14. Are Basic Economy Short-haul fares exchangeable? No. Short-haul tickets are non-refundable and non-changeable, this includes voluntary changes and rollovers.

15. Are Basic Economy Long-haul fares exchangeable? Yes. Long-haul are changeable, change fee and any applicable fare difference applies. .

16. After the customer purchases a Basic Economy Short-haul fare, , and the Basic Economy fare does not meet the customers needs, can they exchange their ticket for another fare? Effective March 5, 2019 – The Buy-Out policy is no longer available.

17. After the customer purchases a Basic Economy Long-haul fare, and the Basic Economy fare does not meet the customers needs, can they exchange their ticket for another fare? Long-haul fares are changeable, therefore a customer who decides Basic Economy does not meet their needs may change their ticketed fare by following applicable fare rules

18. Can a Basic Economy Short- haul or Long-haul ticketed fare be exchanged for the “Ticket Sell Up Exchange – Change Fee Waiver” option? No. The Sell-Up product is not applicable for Basic Economy (Short-haul or Long-Haul) fares
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:13 pm

Schedule change on codeshare

Bought a flight through AA 4 months ago consisting of Finnair flights outbound to Europe and BA flights returning. A couple of days ago the Finnair transatlantic segment was canceled so AA called me to change my flight. The only comparable outbound I could find marketed on AA's website is a codeshare on BA, but the phone agent says I can only change to AA flights. Not sure why as the original flight consists entirely of codeshare. Is this really a rule? There just isn't a comparable flight on AA metal (eg leaves at 7am vs 7pm original Finnair flight).
What are my options here? Should I push back harder?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deez Nutz
Bought a flight through AA 4 months ago consisting of Finnair flights outbound to Europe and BA flights returning. A couple of days ago the Finnair transatlantic segment was canceled so AA called me to change my flight. The only comparable outbound I could find marketed on AA's website is a codeshare on BA, but the phone agent says I can only change to AA flights. Not sure why as the original flight consists entirely of codeshare. Is this really a rule? There just isn't a comparable flight on AA metal (eg leaves at 7am vs 7pm original Finnair flight).
What are my options here? Should I push back harder?
You should definitely be able to change to an AA codeshare on BA metal, just HUCA. Make sure you are asking for the AA flight numbers.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:52 pm

I called to do a status challenge the other day and they told me that to get the maximum length of time, I should wait until the day before my next scheduled flight. So I called tonight, 3 days before... just in case... and sure enough, they're closed on Saturday and Sunday. Oh -- and they're already closed tonight. No custumer service until after my flight on Monday.

Can I get that backdated somehow? Do they always do it or just sometimes?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:50 am

Using AA miles to book BCN->LHR on BA metal

Hi! I’m planning to use AA miles to book one way tickets for 3 in economy from BCN to LHR next July. I have the booking on hold but haven’t purchased.

Does anyone know what economy level this will be on BA? Trying to figure out all the extras I could be charged. I know seats would be extra, any idea on checked bags? It shows fare code X on the AA site.

Thank you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.