FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

gateH15 Sep 18, 19 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by loopflyer (Post 31539915)
No AA status. On AA award ticket, one PNR: MAD-JFK on IB in J, connecting on AA in F to ORD. Will I have access to AA Flagship Lounge at JFK? Thank you in advance.

Yea you will have access to FL in JFK

redtop43 Sep 18, 19 8:13 pm

Just not sure where to post this.

Say that I expect to end the year short of EQD by a small amount - say under $100 - for the status I want.

Is there a way to buy a more expensive ticket than necessary, say by buying either an economy or first class ticket in a higher fare bucket? Most F tickets will probably have a big difference, but I assume that the fare bucket differences for a (say) $250 coach ticket are relatively small.

gateH15 Sep 18, 19 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 31540329)
Just not sure where to post this.

Say that I expect to end the year short of EQD by a small amount - say under $100 - for the status I want.

Is there a way to buy a more expensive ticket than necessary, say by buying either an economy or first class ticket in a higher fare bucket? Most F tickets will probably have a big difference, but I assume that the fare bucket differences for a (say) $250 coach ticket are relatively small.

It is absolutely possible to call and upfare. Do it in the first 24 hours. If upfare option is too expensive you can cancel for free. Also still check how much is F - sometimes it’s not that much more. I flew to ORD NYC over Labor Day weekend and F was only 10 bucks more than economy.

redtop43 Sep 18, 19 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31540332)
It is absolutely possible to call and upfare. Do it in the first 24 hours. If upfare option is too expensive you can cancel for free. Also still check how much is F - sometimes it’s not that much more. I flew to ORD NYC over Labor Day weekend and F was only 10 bucks more than economy.

I am checking F fares also. I was under the impression that "upfaring" only applied to moving to a higher cabin.

gateH15 Sep 18, 19 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 31540367)
I am checking F fares also. I was under the impression that "upfaring" only applied to moving to a higher cabin.

Not necessarily. If you are looking to book economy far out, you will see cheap economy fares. You can call and bump it to Y fare code which is the most expensive. Or whatever other fare codes they have for sale

craigthemif Sep 19, 19 7:11 am

New Platinum here, thanks to Hyatt match. Quick question...

Plats get a 60% bonus. When flying on a cheap 25% earning BA ticket, is that 60% of miles flown (as BAEC would do it) or 60% of whatever the underlying ticket earns?

Corse899 Sep 19, 19 7:20 am

So what is the best way to get on the GrAAvy train now? I am 4/24 and p2 is 3/24. I am somewhat familiar with the 48 month language rule, but it can be circumvented with mailers correct? I am just trying to acquire 300k AA by next August. Thank you for any help

JJeffrey Sep 19, 19 7:31 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31541568)
New Platinum here, thanks to Hyatt match. Quick question...

Plats get a 60% bonus. When flying on a cheap 25% earning BA ticket, is that 60% of miles flown (as BAEC would do it) or 60% of whatever the underlying ticket earns?

Assuming you've booked a BA flight number, then for fare buckets that earn 25%, you would earn base miles at distance x 25%, plus 60% bonus as a PLT.

So if the flight distance is 1000 miles, you would earn 1000 x 25% = 250 base miles, plus 250 x 60% = 150 PLT bonu, for a grand total of 400 RDM.

JJeffrey Sep 19, 19 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Corse899 (Post 31541598)
So what is the best way to get on the GrAAvy train now? I am 4/24 and p2 is 3/24. I am somewhat familiar with the 48 month language rule, but it can be circumvented with mailers correct? I am just trying to acquire 300k AA by next August. Thank you for any help

Welcome to FT. As your question is dealing with credit cards, I'd really recommend you take some time to peruse the credit card forums and research/ask over there. Much better info than what you'll get here regarding sign up bonuses, benefits, as well as answers to questions regarding application rules, approval odds, etc. etc.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-programs-390/

SpammersAreScum Sep 19, 19 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31541631)
Assuming you've booked a BA flight number, then for fare buckets that earn 25%, you would earn base miles at distance x 25%, plus 60% bonus as a PLT.

So if the flight distance is 1000 miles, you would earn 1000 x 25% = 250 base miles, plus 250 x 60% = 150 PLT bonu, for a grand total of 400 RDM.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31541637)
Welcome to FT. As your question is dealing with credit cards, I'd really recommend you take some time to peruse the credit card forums and research/ask over there. Much better info than what you'll get here regarding sign up bonuses, benefits, as well as answers to questions regarding application rules, approval odds, etc. etc.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-programs-390/

More specifically, you are thinking of the Citi AA cards, discussed in Citi AA cards: TARGETED offers (includes Mailers, eMailers and Matching) and Citi AA cards: General discussion and PUBLIC online offers

But also look into the Barclay AA card: Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card - now 60K

enpremiere Sep 20, 19 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 31540367)

While it's possible to up-fare within a cabin, there are some instances where upfaring or buy-outs would incur a change fee or are no longer permitted at all such as these basic economy scenarios:

14. Are Basic Economy Short-haul fares exchangeable? No. Short-haul tickets are non-refundable and non-changeable, this includes voluntary changes and rollovers.

15. Are Basic Economy Long-haul fares exchangeable? Yes. Long-haul are changeable, change fee and any applicable fare difference applies. .

16. After the customer purchases a Basic Economy Short-haul fare, , and the Basic Economy fare does not meet the customers needs, can they exchange their ticket for another fare? Effective March 5, 2019 – The Buy-Out policy is no longer available.

17. After the customer purchases a Basic Economy Long-haul fare, and the Basic Economy fare does not meet the customers needs, can they exchange their ticket for another fare? Long-haul fares are changeable, therefore a customer who decides Basic Economy does not meet their needs may change their ticketed fare by following applicable fare rules

18. Can a Basic Economy Short- haul or Long-haul ticketed fare be exchanged for the “Ticket Sell Up Exchange – Change Fee Waiver” option? No. The Sell-Up product is not applicable for Basic Economy (Short-haul or Long-Haul) fares

Deez Nutz Sep 20, 19 1:13 pm

Schedule change on codeshare

Bought a flight through AA 4 months ago consisting of Finnair flights outbound to Europe and BA flights returning. A couple of days ago the Finnair transatlantic segment was canceled so AA called me to change my flight. The only comparable outbound I could find marketed on AA's website is a codeshare on BA, but the phone agent says I can only change to AA flights. Not sure why as the original flight consists entirely of codeshare. Is this really a rule? There just isn't a comparable flight on AA metal (eg leaves at 7am vs 7pm original Finnair flight).
What are my options here? Should I push back harder?

JJeffrey Sep 20, 19 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Deez Nutz (Post 31546119)
Bought a flight through AA 4 months ago consisting of Finnair flights outbound to Europe and BA flights returning. A couple of days ago the Finnair transatlantic segment was canceled so AA called me to change my flight. The only comparable outbound I could find marketed on AA's website is a codeshare on BA, but the phone agent says I can only change to AA flights. Not sure why as the original flight consists entirely of codeshare. Is this really a rule? There just isn't a comparable flight on AA metal (eg leaves at 7am vs 7pm original Finnair flight).
What are my options here? Should I push back harder?

You should definitely be able to change to an AA codeshare on BA metal, just HUCA. Make sure you are asking for the AA flight numbers.

argolfer Sep 20, 19 6:52 pm

I called to do a status challenge the other day and they told me that to get the maximum length of time, I should wait until the day before my next scheduled flight. So I called tonight, 3 days before... just in case... and sure enough, they're closed on Saturday and Sunday. Oh -- and they're already closed tonight. No custumer service until after my flight on Monday.

Can I get that backdated somehow? Do they always do it or just sometimes?

Mihiker Sep 21, 19 5:50 am

Using AA miles to book BCN->LHR on BA metal

Hi! I’m planning to use AA miles to book one way tickets for 3 in economy from BCN to LHR next July. I have the booking on hold but haven’t purchased.

Does anyone know what economy level this will be on BA? Trying to figure out all the extras I could be charged. I know seats would be extra, any idea on checked bags? It shows fare code X on the AA site.

Thank you!!