Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:49 pm

Question Struggling with ITA Matrix multi-leg multi-class WAS-GDN R/T

Hi there,

I'm struggling with ITA Matrix trying to price an itinerary WAS-JFK-HEL-GDN-HEL-JFK-WAS, all on OneWorld, and with only the TATL leg in business or first (the rest in regular, non-basic economy). I'm stuck on trying to specify the fare codes. I also tried the "+cabin 2" option only on the JFK-HEL leg, but it was forcing even my WAS-JFK leg to price in business as well. The fare codes I was trying are:

f bc=h|bc=k|bc=m|bc=l|bc=w|bc=v|bc=g|bc=q|bc=n|bc=o| bc=s for the first segment and alliance oneworld; f bc=f|bc=j|bc=a|bc=p|bc=d|bc=i|bc=r for the second segment.

As for WAS, DCA or IAD are fine, but not BWI. And I'm open to other east coast gateways. I could go through PHL or BOS or CLT. I just want to get from WAS to GDN and back on OneWorld in 3 or fewer segments.

Any tips? Below is a screen shot showing the query I attempted for the first 2 segments. I figured I would build up the itinerary and add segments once I made sure that each one was pricing in the right class.

Dates are flexible (October +/- 1 month). Mostly I want to know how to query this for future reference. I am also considering a trip from WAS-MSQ, which I realize cannot be 100% on OneWorld, but I'd want as many segments as possible on OW.

Thanks!

Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Marsh11
Hi there,

I'm struggling with ITA Matrix trying to price an itinerary WAS-JFK-HEL-GDN-HEL-JFK-WAS, all on OneWorld, and with only the TATL leg in business or first (the rest in regular, non-basic economy). I'm stuck on trying to specify the fare codes. I also tried the "+cabin 2" option only on the JFK-HEL leg, but it was forcing even my WAS-JFK leg to price in business as well. The fare codes I was trying are:

f bc=h|bc=k|bc=m|bc=l|bc=w|bc=v|bc=g|bc=q|bc=n|bc=o| bc=s for the first segment and alliance oneworld; f bc=f|bc=j|bc=a|bc=p|bc=d|bc=i|bc=r for the second segment.

As for WAS, DCA or IAD are fine, but not BWI. And I'm open to other east coast gateways. I could go through PHL or BOS or CLT. I just want to get from WAS to GDN and back on OneWorld in 3 or fewer segments.

Any tips? Below is a screen shot showing the query I attempted for the first 2 segments. I figured I would build up the itinerary and add segments once I made sure that each one was pricing in the right class.

Dates are flexible (October +/- 1 month). Mostly I want to know how to query this for future reference. I am also considering a trip from WAS-MSQ, which I realize cannot be 100% on OneWorld, but I'd want as many segments as possible on OW.
What are you trying to accomplish by having just the TATL legs in business? Booking it like that will most likely require separate fare breaks for WAS-JFK, JFK-HEL, and HEL-GDN, which will most likely be way more expensive than just buying a WAS-GDN roundtrip in business.

In any event, there is a consolidated thread about Matrix related questions such as this...

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What are you trying to accomplish by having just the TATL legs in business? Booking it like that will most likely require separate fare breaks for WAS-JFK, JFK-HEL, and HEL-GDN, which will most likely be way more expensive than just buying a WAS-GDN roundtrip in business.

In any event, there is a consolidated thread about Matrix related questions such as this...

ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread
Thanks! I thought doing that would be saving money. I guess that's why they call it the newbie lounge
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: QF; VA; AS
In the next few days I need to book an AA flight from JFK to MIA in Y. The basic fare is AUD$173 of the main cabin $224 but it says the more expensive fare can be upgraded. I've only just learned of a 500 mile upgrade but don't know if I qualify or not. To clarify, I am Oneworld Sapphire (Qantas) and have never flown AA before.

Can anyone here give me guidance as to whether it's worth purchasing the more expensive fare with an upgrade in mind?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scottyrocket
In the next few days I need to book an AA flight from JFK to MIA in Y. The basic fare is AUD$173 of the main cabin $224 but it says the more expensive fare can be upgraded. I've only just learned of a 500 mile upgrade but don't know if I qualify or not. To clarify, I am Oneworld Sapphire (Qantas) and have never flown AA before.

Can anyone here give me guidance as to whether it's worth purchasing the more expensive fare with an upgrade in mind?
You cannot upgrade as a QF freq flyer. Only upgrade with cash money. 500 mile stickers are a AA freq flyer feature: not QF ffp.
Be careful as to what is included in the BE fare. Nothing like QF fares
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:10 am
NPZ

Programs: One World
I am flying AA from ORD to EWR (overnight) switch to JAL - JFK to HND the next day on one award ticket. The first leg is in Y the long haul is in F. Do I have access to the Flagship lounge at ORD even though the first leg is in Y and the second leg is in F on the next day? A little confused about how this itinerary plays out.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by NPZ
I am flying AA from ORD to EWR (overnight) switch to JAL - JFK to HND the next day on one award ticket. The first leg is in Y the long haul is in F. Do I have access to the Flagship lounge at ORD even though the first leg is in Y and the second leg is in F on the next day? A little confused about how this itinerary plays out.
On paper/according to policy, unfortunately you will not have access in ORD to the Flagship Lounge. That said, you might get an agent at the lounge who will let you in anyway. This does to have to do with the fact that you are in Y, or that it's an award ticket, rather you have to be on the first class flight the same day you wish to use the lounge.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:33 am

Same day BA domestic flight change

I am trying to book an economy MileSAAver award ticket: AUS-JFK-LHR-FCO. AUS-JFK-LHR is on AA metal & LHR-FCO is on BA metal.
Current MileSAAver economy award availability on aa.com shows tickets only with a long layover (8hrs) at LHR. There are 3 earlier BA LHR-FCO flights that could work that make the layover shorter. Business award tickets are available for these earlier LHR-FCO flights but no economy award tickets.

Our travel date is not till May 2019 and we are looking for 4 award tickets together. So makes it more difficult.

2 newbie questions:

i) Should I just take what is available now and if an earlier LHR-FCO economy ticket becomes available later, can I make an award ticket change through AA for no charge?

ii) Assuming I stick with the current long LHR layover award ticket, will there be any opportunity to get on an earlier LHR-FCO flight, once I land at LHR, assuming seat availability is there on earlier BA flight? Will BA/AA allow it?

Thanks.

Last edited by travelbug189; Sep 18, 2019 at 10:39 am
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by travelbug189
I am trying to book an economy MileSAAver award ticket: AUS-JFK-LHR-FCO. AUS-JFK-LHR is on AA metal & LHR-FCO is on BA metal.
Current MileSAAver economy award availability on aa.com shows tickets only with a long layover (8hrs) at LHR. There are 3 earlier BA LHR-FCO flights that could work that make the layover shorter. Business award tickets are available for these earlier LHR-FCO flights but no economy award tickets.

Our travel date is not till May 2019 and we are looking for 4 award tickets together. So makes it more difficult.

2 newbie questions:

i) Should I just take what is available now and if an earlier LHR-FCO economy ticket becomes available later, can I make an award ticket change through AA for no charge?

ii) Assuming I stick with the current long LHR layover award ticket, will there be any opportunity to get on an earlier LH-FCO flight, once I land at LHR, assuming seat availability is there on earlier BA flight? Will BA/AA allow it?

Thanks.
If you can book 4 award tickets right now I would say do it. Its not easy to find 4 tickets together usually. You can always change it later if better award becomes available.

BA does not allow stand by for an earlier flight like AA does, so you wont be able to do it unless they oversell your flight and need volunteers
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:46 am
NPZ

Programs: One World
I hope so. I really hate these mirrored award tickets but can't complain about 80k in F to Tokyo. What's the lounge options at JFK?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by gateH15
If you can book 4 award tickets right now I would say do it. Its not easy to find 4 tickets together usually. You can always change it later if better award becomes available.

BA does not allow stand by for an earlier flight like AA does, so you wont be able to do it unless they oversell your flight and need volunteers
Thanks. Appreciate the quick response
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NPZ
Originally Posted by NPZ
I hope so. I really hate these mirrored award tickets but can't complain about 80k in F to Tokyo. What's the lounge options at JFK?
If you can get all your boarding passes when checking in at ORD then your chances of getting into the ORD FL is much better. I've accessed lounges like this on the day before my actual "qualifying" flight many times, but in every instance I'm always checked in all the way, and hand over my qualifying boarding pass first and say something like "I'm on the way to Shanghai".

At JFK, JL uses the LH lounge in T1.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles: Gold AA: Platinum Pro
Lounge access?

I have recently gotten AA Platinum Pro
I purchased a First Class Ticket, round trip, PHX to GDL
Will I be invited to the lounge in PHX and on return in GDL?
(I see only Mexico City MEX mentioned)
Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by memomelaque
I have recently gotten AA Platinum Pro
I purchased a First Class Ticket, round trip, PHX to GDL
Will I be invited to the lounge in PHX and on return in GDL?
(I see only Mexico City MEX mentioned)
Thanks
No, GDL is not "international" for AA lounge access purposes, so neither your status or business class ticket come with any lounge access privileges.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 5:14 pm

No AA status. On AA award ticket, one PNR: MAD-JFK on IB in J, connecting on AA in F to ORD. Will I have access to AA Flagship Lounge at JFK? Thank you in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.