Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2019 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Deacon61
I just completed the challenge offered by AA and get to keep platinum pro through Jan. 2021. Thanks to this site, it was a little easier to plan for the challenge and thanks to all that post here. Is there any way to upgrade on an award travel with status? Conflicting articles out there on this.

Also, do I get the SWUs some people have talked about? Or is that only ExP? Lastly, what’s the best way to see if an upgrade is available when booking? Thanks!!
There should not be any conflicting info re: upgrading award tickets, only EXP & CK can upgrade award tickets in N. America via the normal domestic UDU/500-mi process.

On award flights, anyone (even no-status pax) can change to a higher class of service award for no fee if it's available, you just have to pay the difference in miles.

And only EXP & CK get SWU's.

Finally, ExpertFlyer (paid service) is the only real way to check yourself if upgrade space is available before you book. This let's you check for C space, which is what you would need if you are trying to upgrade with miles/copay (or SWU's). Otherwise you just have to call AA, which will largely be a fruitless exercise as finding C space in advance is pretty rare.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Hello dear experts,

I made a booking on mixed metal, BA+AA (TXL-CUN) return through an OTA. I know i should have done it through AA website, but the price difference was quite big, and also, i did not find any information about AA having a BPG, so i assumed they don't.

The booking class for that flight is Q. Is there any chance of upgrading for cash to PE on the return transatlantic flight without doing it through the OTA, which are likely to charge me for it? Would i be offered an upgrade option during online check-in?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Deckter; Sep 15, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Howdy,
Not really an AA newbie here, been EXP for more than just a year or two, but I'm new to the AA forum, so this will probably be a newbie question...

I have already used all of my SWUs for the year. Something has come up and I need to visit my partner in England in short notice. When I log onto my AA account and look at flights I normally see that little notice for flights that might have confirmable space for SWU use, but right now I dont see it. Is that because I dont have any more SWUs for this year, and havent re-qualified yet? Using google flights I cant find anything between tampa and london in the dates I need for much less than 8-10k$. I could just get an award ticket but I need EQMs and EQDs for the year as I already burned those SWAs AND had 2 trips worth of biz extra miles expiring this year I used... With plenty of $800 coach seats and $1500 premium coach seats, I would much rather pay for a ticket, but I'd also much rather be in a lay flat bed, so I would only go that route if I know in advance I can get the upgrade (with miles obviously)

Any way I can search for this on my own without having to phone in an ask a rep to check a billion and one route, and date combos?

TIA
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by stant
Howdy,
Not really an AA newbie here, been EXP for more than just a year or two, but I'm new to the AA forum, so this will probably be a newbie question...

I have already used all of my SWUs for the year. Something has come up and I need to visit my partner in England in short notice. When I log onto my AA account and look at flights I normally see that little notice for flights that might have confirmable space for SWU use, but right now I dont see it. Is that because I dont have any more SWUs for this year, and havent re-qualified yet? Using google flights I cant find anything between tampa and london in the dates I need for much less than 8-10k$. I could just get an award ticket but I need EQMs and EQDs for the year as I already burned those SWAs AND had 2 trips worth of biz extra miles expiring this year I used... With plenty of $800 coach seats and $1500 premium coach seats, I would much rather pay for a ticket, but I'd also much rather be in a lay flat bed, so I would only go that route if I know in advance I can get the upgrade (with miles obviously)

Any way I can search for this on my own without having to phone in an ask a rep to check a billion and one route, and date combos?

TIA
Subscribe to expert flyer and check for C space availability. If flight is at least C1 you can upgrade with miles or SWU instantly at booking.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by gateH15
Subscribe to expert flyer and check for C space availability. If flight is at least C1 you can upgrade with miles or SWU instantly at booking.
Is it correct then that this SWU display vanishes when you use your SWUs?

Is getting a subscription to expert flier going to give me any data that i wont otherwise already have if I havent burned all of my SWUs for the year?

If this bit of data is the *only* thing I see myself needing is there any way to force the AA (or google flights) web page to show it to me?

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deckter
I made a booking on mixed metal, BA+AA (TXL-CUN) return through an OTA. I know I should have done it through AA website, but the price difference was quite big, and also, i did not find any information about AA having a BPG, so i assumed they don't.

The booking class for that flight is Q. Is there any chance of upgrading for cash to PE on the return transatlantic flight without doing it through the OTA, which are likely to charge me for it? Would i be offered an upgrade option during online check-in?.
AA or BA flight numbers?
AA (001) or BA(125) ticket?
Route? (TXL-LHR-xxx-CUN?)
AA or BA status?
Transatlantic flight with which airline?
The OTA "owns" the ticket until the first segment,
A common question but more detail needed.
But just expect to fly in the seat you purchased

AA AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

AA Upgrades Options by AA operated flight but BA marketed and stock

BA Pro-active Online Upgrade (POUG) tracking and discussion | 2019 thread
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:38 pm

A newbie question that I couldn't find the answer to ... If I use paid Upgrade vouchers for a flight upgrade does that bump EQD or EQM higher?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
AA or BA flight numbers?
AA (001) or BA(125) ticket?
Route? (TXL-LHR-xxx-CUN?)
AA or BA status?
Transatlantic flight with which airline?
The OTA "owns" the ticket until the first segment,
A common question but more detail needed.
But just expect to fly in the seat you purchased
Please see answers below:

AA or BA flight numbers? - TXL - LHR - TXL on BA, all other flight numbers on AA
AA (001) or BA(125) ticket? AA
Route? (TXL-LHR-xxx-CUN?) TXL - LHR - MIA - CUN
AA or BA status? Neither
Transatlantic flight with which airline? The segment is AA0038 (MIA - LHR)

When you say that the OTA owns the ticket until i fly the first segment, does that mean that after that i deal with AA even in case of IRROPS?

And thanks for the links provided, i'll have a look at them.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
EXP - Club recommendations for ORD International Terminal 5

Flying SFO-ORD on AA tomorrow, then connecting to Finnair to HEL. As an AA EXP and Admirals Club member, I believe I have a choice of One World clubs in International Terminal 5. Would appreciate suggestions as t which would be the best choice.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wdwright
Flying SFO-ORD on AA tomorrow, then connecting to Finnair to HEL. As an AA EXP and Admirals Club member, I believe I have a choice of One World clubs in International Terminal 5. Would appreciate suggestions as t which would be the best choice.
I would go to the Flagship Lounge in T3 and just give yourself enough time to get to T5 before boarding (there is an airside shuttle if you have your AY boarding pass). None of the T5 lounges are really worth it in my opinion.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I would go to the Flagship Lounge in T3 and just give yourself enough time to get to T5 before boarding (there is an airside shuttle if you have your AY boarding pass). None of the T5 lounges are really worth it in my opinion.
Plus one to that. BA lounge in T5 is not worth it. I would go to Flagship in T3, eat dinner and have a drink or two, then take airside bus to T5 and go to BA lounge is there is still time. There are no other oneworld lounge in T5
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I've been flying mainly on price / availability lately, but will likely still make EXP for this year. Sorry I haven't been paying attention.

- Have 2020 program details been announced yet? What changes do I need to be aware of?
- Given EXP was harder to make in the last two years, are they opening up advance upgrade availability? I lost a bunch of SWUs recently.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by omegadeal
I've been flying mainly on price / availability lately, but will likely still make EXP for this year. Sorry I haven't been paying attention.

- Have 2020 program details been announced yet? What changes do I need to be aware of?
- Given EXP was harder to make in the last two years, are they opening up advance upgrade availability? I lost a bunch of SWUs recently.
No changes have been announced. SWU have not become easier to use.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by swag
One other Gold perk is a Main Cabin Extra seat for free at check-in. These can go quickly, so you'll want to check in right at T-24 andgrab what is available.
Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm always ready to pounce at T-24!. So while doing online checkin at T-24, there will be a link for "change seat," or something like that...and at that point, the system will recognize me as Gold and MCE will be available to choose?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm always ready to pounce at T-24!. So while doing online checkin at T-24, there will be a link for "change seat," or something like that...and at that point, the system will recognize me as Gold and MCE will be available to choose?
Yes.

(That assumes you had gold status before buying the ticket. Easiest way to verify is to start a seat change now, and see if the elite-only seats are selectable; if so, you're good to go. If not, you should call AA in advance to have them refresh the status on the ticket).
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.