Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Link to Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST.

MrAndy1369 originated this thread. Other posts in this topic have been merged here, throwing his post to #4. For members’ easy reference, we have reproduced that guidepost in its entirety. /Moderators

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Introduction
Welcome to the 2019 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on domestic service. Please post your meal/service experiences, including menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, refreshments, none). Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is up to you.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Throwback mode? Go crazy! For the 2019 International Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!
[COLOR="Navy"]Welcome to the 2019 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)
American Eagle flights do not offer pre-ordering of meals.

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.
  • Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

• At this time, pre-ordered meals are not available on American Eagle flights.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Thanks to MrAndy1369 for starting the thread and for the guidelines.
[COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DFW-LGA
LAA A321 AVOD
No PDB whatsoever, not even water

lemon chicken or that nasty looking "lasagnette". My seatmate had that pasta and barely touched it.......it looks disgusting too.....like canned chef boyardee.

Ice cream for dessert (not pictured).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Gold,
Anyone have a review of the diabetic meal out of BOS? Is the Low Fat/Low Cholesterol interchangeable (i,.e. same meal). Traveling BOS-LAX next week and the pre order does not excite me :-)

current lunch offering is the:
Tex Mex Salad or the Chow Mein noodle bowl
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Flying DFW-KOA, my options are:

Shrimp with Red Panang Curry Shrimp with Red Panang Curry selected for DFW to KOA
With bamboo rice

or

Macadamia Crusted Chicken Macadamia Crusted Chicken selected for DFW to KOA
coconut sauce, soba noodles, sugar snap peas

Any recommendations? Really not excited about either of these choices, would much rather the fruit and cheese plate. Also for some reason it won't let me select for the return portion of KOA-DFW
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Bruce Delaney
@AANYC1981

You seem to know your way around ordering the Diabetic Meals... How does one go about ordering a Diabetic meal and is there any way at all to know what it is before it is brought to you in flight?

Lastly, would they offer the diabetic meal from PHL-MBJ?
Originally Posted by cmassey100
Anyone have a review of the diabetic meal out of BOS? Is the Low Fat/Low Cholesterol interchangeable (i,.e. same meal). Traveling BOS-LAX next week and the pre order does not excite me :-)

current lunch offering is the:
Tex Mex Salad or the Chow Mein noodle bowl
dont bother with the tex mex salad......
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rfett2

Shrimp with Red Panang Curry Shrimp with Red Panang Curry selected for DFW to KOA
With bamboo rice

or

Any recommendations? Really not excited about either of these choices, would much rather the fruit and cheese plate. Also for some reason it won't let me select for the return portion of KOA-DFW
I could have sworn DFW-Hawaii flights now had 3 real entree options (not counting the fruit and cheese plate).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA-Plat

With bamboo rice

or

Chicken dish is quite acceptable. The return flight is catered locally and does not provide pre-order. If you are traveling before March 12, your choices will be braised short ribs, shitake mushroom risotto or garlic and ginger glazed salmon. you will not be disappointed with any of the selections. Hope this helps.
railmatt likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta GM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I could have sworn DFW-Hawaii flights now had 3 real entree options (not counting the fruit and cheese plate).
That's what I thought, or at least that's what my previous Hawaii flights were like. Usually was 2 meat options and 1 veggie option

Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
Chicken dish is quite acceptable. The return flight is catered locally and does not provide pre-order. If you are traveling before March 12, your choices will be braised short ribs, shitake mushroom risotto or garlic and ginger glazed salmon. you will not be disappointed with any of the selections. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately my return is after 3/12 because that short rib option sounds amazing.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
AVML Breakfast out of CLT

After the awful AVML breakfast that I received out of LAS a few months ago, I bravely decided to give the AVML breakfast one more chance on my flight from CLT-LAX last week. I made sure to enjoy some avocado toast in the lounge before the flight... just in case. I have had many AVML lunches and dinners out of CLT and all of them have been really good and this breakfast did not disappoint. It was excellent and exactly what I think an AVML breakfast should be. The breakfast included rice, 2 curries and a samosa. The entree was nice and spicy, definitely the most spicy of any of AVML meals I've had in the past. For the sides there was fruit and low glycemic protein bar that I actually really enjoyed (I am guessing that this was purchased by AA catering mainly for the diabetic meals but it was a nice fit here as well given that it was vegan). Sorry, I didn't take any pictures...I was too excited when the FA set it down and I started digging in before I could think about a picture.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately my return is after 3/12 because that short rib option sounds amazing.
All the ex-KOA meals are well above average, even if the flight attendants do their best to overcook them.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National

With bamboo rice

or

The chicken's as good as AA domestic meals get!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
AA1492: DFW-CMH: 10:46AM, 20 February
Lunch
MD-80
First Class, 6F

Excellent crew with full-bar PDB and hitting all of the service items properly. Certificate provided.

Ravioli or salad with chicken available. I wish AA would do better for premium cabin meals. Love 6F on the MD-80...

Inflight Meal
railmatt likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

With bamboo rice

or

Have had both of these recently out of DFW to HNL or OGG. Shrimp entree was ok. AA has had variations of the Macnut Chicken entree on the Sam Choy Hawaii menu for years. The variation with the coconut sauce, noodles and snap peas is very good. I did a posting here with pics of the above Macadamia Chicken entree about 6 months ago.
railmatt and rfett2 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
They still do. Doing a dummy booking shows 3 meal choices for DFW-HNL.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Brooke.E
After the awful AVML breakfast that I received out of LAS a few months ago, I bravely decided to give the AVML breakfast one more chance on my flight from CLT-LAX last week. I made sure to enjoy some avocado toast in the lounge before the flight... just in case. I have had many AVML lunches and dinners out of CLT and all of them have been really good and this breakfast did not disappoint. It was excellent and exactly what I think an AVML breakfast should be. The breakfast included rice, 2 curries and a samosa. The entree was nice and spicy, definitely the most spicy of any of AVML meals I've had in the past. For the sides there was fruit and low glycemic protein bar that I actually really enjoyed (I am guessing that this was purchased by AA catering mainly for the diabetic meals but it was a nice fit here as well given that it was vegan). Sorry, I didn't take any pictures...I was too excited when the FA set it down and I started digging in before I could think about a picture.
Here’s a pic of my AVML breakfast out of SMF from a couple of weeks ago. I figured it was a gamble but was pleased. The smaller dish was decently spicy, though I usually bring my own heat to help out.

AVML SMF-DFW
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Rapid Rewards, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus
Any advice on meals coming up for DFW-MIA and MIA-STT? Breakfast and lunch respectively. Completely underwhelmed with all of the options and disappointing there isn't an AVML meal for the lunch flight. I guess leaning towards the omelette and the enchilada? TIA!
Breakfast meals
  • Steel Cut Oatmeal Steel Cut Oatmeal
    various fruit garnishes
  • Chicken Sausage, Sharp Cheddar and Red Pepper Omelet Chicken Sausage, Sharp Cheddar and Red Pepper Omelet
    red skin potatoes
  • Asian Vegetarian Asian Vegetarian
    Spicy vegetarian meals with limited use of dairy products
  • Diabetic Diabetic
    Suitable for reduced sugar, hyperglycemic, hypoglycemic and carbohydrate controlled meal requests
  • Gluten intolerant Gluten intolerant selected for Taylorleigh Novak for DFW to MIA
    This meal eliminates all foods prepared with wheat, rye, barley and oats
  • Hindu Hindu
    Prepared according to Hindu dietary practices and may include dairy, curries and spicy flavors
  • Kosher Kosher
    Prepared to comply with Jewish dietary laws
  • Muslim Muslim
    Does not contain pork, by-products of pork or ingredients containing alcohol
  • Vegetarian/Vegan Vegetarian/Vegan
    Does not contain meat, fish, fowl, eggs, dairy products or derivatives
Lunch meals
  • Cheese Enchilada Cheese Enchilada
    with Spanish rice and green chili sauce
  • AVAILABLE BY PRE-ORDER ONLY - Fruit and Cheese Plate AVAILABLE BY PRE-ORDER ONLY -
    fresh grapes and strawberry with assorted cheeses
  • Zoës Kitchen Charcuterie Plate
    prosciutto, salami, mozzarella, spicy olives and dried cherry tomatoes; served with hummus, crudités and pita rounds
  • Sandwich Wrap Sandwich Wrap
    BBQ pulled chicken with blue cheese crumbles, tomatoes and cabbage and carrot slaw on a flour tortilla

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.