Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Link to Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST.

MrAndy1369 originated this thread. Other posts in this topic have been merged here, throwing his post to #4. For members’ easy reference, we have reproduced that guidepost in its entirety. /Moderators

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Introduction
Welcome to the 2019 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on domestic service. Please post your meal/service experiences, including menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, refreshments, none). Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is up to you.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Throwback mode? Go crazy! For the 2019 International Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!
[COLOR="Navy"]Welcome to the 2019 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)
American Eagle flights do not offer pre-ordering of meals.

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.
  • Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

• At this time, pre-ordered meals are not available on American Eagle flights.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Thanks to MrAndy1369 for starting the thread and for the guidelines.
[COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ORD-LGA
MCE, empty middle seat made it a nice flight

Proactively offered the free snack and we all got doubles if you ordered drinks. FC had jackets hung but no PDB at all.

FA's intentionally turned over the napkin ads and there were no credit card announcements. All very nice touches. One EXP/CK requested the nuts from FC and they were brought back in a plastic cup.

Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by F&B767
Special Meals(SPML)- Diabetic(DBML), Asian Vegetarian(AVML), Hindu(HNML), Muslim(MOML), Gluten Free(GFML), Vegan(VGML)
-
  • Above listed main pre-order meals from domestic stations will receive standardized and frozen pre-prepared meals. Meals will have a one year frozen shelf life
  • Salads and appetizers are prepared fresh by the local caterer
  • Steaks that have appeared for DBML meals will mostly switch to a pre-prepared chicken entree
  • Asian Vegetarian (AVML), Hindu (HNML), Muslim (MOML) all receive the same meal. If not the pre-prepared meal, they're made to the same basic menu requirements
This is a shame. Asian Vegetarian was my go to intl meal. Always seemed much better and fresher than the average AA meal from my perspective. I see that the policy says "pre-order meals from domestic stations". Does this mean that flights originating outside the US will still get fresh, locally prepared special meals? For example I have found that the Asian Vegetarian meals one receives when originating out of FRA and LHR are great but the ones provided when originating out of LAX are usually no where near as good.
beachfan likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Is this already in place? I guess I will find out on DFW-SJC flt today. Well it was good while it lasted, going forward it's on to Zoe plate as go to meal.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
ORD-LGA
MCE, empty middle seat made it a nice flight

Proactively offered the free snack and we all got doubles if you ordered drinks. FC had jackets hung but no PDB at all.

FA's intentionally turned over the napkin ads and there were no credit card announcements. All very nice touches. One EXP/CK requested the nuts from FC and they were brought back in a plastic cup.
Any jerky in that Power Bites kit?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jcatman
Any jerky in that Power Bites kit?
yep!
jcatman likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Is this already in place? I guess I will find out on DFW-SJC flt today. Well it was good while it lasted, going forward it's on to Zoe plate as go to meal.
I had the diabetic meal today DFWPHL and it was chicken with roasted carrots and some sort of dense "mash" for lack of a better term. Obviously not potatoes but I am not intelligent enough to nail down the exact ingredients. The salad was the usual dark leafy greens with asparagus, carrots and tomatoes on top (which is in line with the above description). I had never seen this chicken before in a DBML, and it very well could have been the new standardized frozen variety. All in all, it was edible, and looked better than the non-special meal wrap my father had.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Special Meals(SPML)- Diabetic(DBML), Asian Vegetarian(AVML), Hindu(HNML), Muslim(MOML), Gluten Free(GFML), Vegan(VGML)
-
  • Above listed main pre-order meals from domestic stations will receive standardized and frozen pre-prepared meals. Meals will have a one year frozen shelf life
  • Salads and appetizers are prepared fresh by the local caterer
  • Steaks that have appeared for DBML meals will mostly switch to a pre-prepared chicken entree
  • Asian Vegetarian (AVML), Hindu (HNML), Muslim (MOML) all receive the same meal. If not the pre-prepared meal, they're made to the same basic menu requirements
Sucks but I guess I'm only surprised that the cut our way to growth group running this credit card advertising firm did't get around to "fixing" this sooner as I'm guessing the special meals cost more than the allotted $3.5 they want to spend on FC meals. Also the last bullet isn't really new, AVML/HNML/MOML have long been the identical meal.
SouthernCross and SFO777 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
How was your Hindu meal on DFW-DCA?
DFW-DCA
4/22/19
6:59pm departure

Hindu meal was indeed the same as AVML as expected. Tasty as usual -- nice salad with the usual asparagus etc. I heated the butter and worked it into the rice, which made the meal exponentially better (picture was pre-butter). Lentils were oddly small but tasted normal. Mixed veggie curry of some sort was a little spicy and went very well with the rice.

Honestly the best part of the flight was gate to gate satellite wifi that was fast enough to stream the Stars game at full resolution ^
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by tismfu
I had the diabetic meal today DFWPHL and it was chicken with roasted carrots and some sort of dense "mash" for lack of a better term. Obviously not potatoes but I am not intelligent enough to nail down the exact ingredients. The salad was the usual dark leafy greens with asparagus, carrots and tomatoes on top (which is in line with the above description). I had never seen this chicken before in a DBML, and it very well could have been the new standardized frozen variety. All in all, it was edible, and looked better than the non-special meal wrap my father had.
You ingested corn grits. It's the new "quinoa".
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest, Hilton, Hyatt
- redacted

Last edited by F&B767; Apr 25, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't believe this is intended as cost savings.
lol really?! In that case: FOR SALE - Slightly used but overall in good condition

If calorie count or nutrition info is your concern there are other special meals to address that; AVML and others are not about nutrition but ingredients. Notice that not all special meals are getting this "enhancement" but only those that were called out by bloggers/FT as actually being good options as compared to the standard meals. Before the posts here and on other blogs about how much superior the AVML/DBML were compared to the standard offerings I very rarely saw people on my flights get special meals where the past year it was very common (and those that didn't usually asked about them...). I'd also point out that the bland, low sodium, low fat meals - which I could see an argument for having consistant known nutritional info for, didn't get the microwave dinner treatment...I can't see how this is anything but a way to reduce costs.

Salads and appetizers will still be freshly prepared by the local caterer, which in and of itself is usually a good meal.
Maybe I've been unlucky but the salads of late have bee quite sad and "fresh" is not a word I'd often associate with the lettuce.
SFO777 and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
DFW-SJC F Hindu Meal

Mine looks exactly like Platbrownguy's meal above, so this must be the standard AVML/Hindu/Mislim meal for this month or going forward. Gotta tell you it was not bad, a tad little spicy but a good IPA with it would take care of that. No dairy in it BTW.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I decided to give the secret Hindu in me a go and opted for the Hindu meal on TPA-DFW next month, based on some posts in this thread. Looked liked a better option than the cold charcutterie plate. I don't want to sample the ravioli twice. The ravioli looked okay based on the pics here. I just can't have any more hummus, which is part of the preorder plate. Have had an OD of it with AA. Especially memorable when the veggies have been dry as heck. Veggie jerky?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:43 am

Flt: AA2574 STL to PHX Depart 7:20AM Arrive 9:00 AM
Cabin: Main Cabin Extra (Second Row)
Pre Ordered (was acknowledged and delivered):
Continental Breakfast: Waffle and Nutella. Totally disappointing! Waffle was crumbly and no plastic knife/wooden stick/anything was provided to spread the Nutella on the waffle. Made for a real mess.
Egg, cheese and fruit: Again, totally disappointing! Boiled egg, split in half was fresh. One wedge of cheese, 8 grapes and 3 small slices of apple. Almond butter, to be spread on a wafer-thing lacked a 'niche' to make opening easy, no plastic knife, wooden stick,anything to spread the almond butter.

Seemed strange and negligent to introduce a pre-ordered meal with no consideration to how it might be consumed. Will never purchase again; hardly a desired outcome for AA!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jcatman
You ingested corn grits. It's the new "quinoa".
Ah, many thanks! That makes sense.

As an aside, from reading the OMAAT post on the subject of special meal changes, I didn’t realize there was such controversy over who should and who should not order a special meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.