Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 4, 19, 1:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: GFrye
Wiki Link
[[COLOR="Navy"]AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Link to Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST.

MrAndy1369 originated this thread. Other posts in this topic have been merged here, throwing his post to #4. For members’ easy reference, we have reproduced that guidepost in its entirety. /Moderators

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369 View Post
Introduction
Welcome to the 2019 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on domestic service. Please post your meal/service experiences, including menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, refreshments, none). Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is up to you.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Throwback mode? Go crazy! For the 2019 International Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!
Welcome to the 2019 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)
American Eagle flights do not offer pre-ordering of meals.

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.
  • Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

• At this time, pre-ordered meals are not available on American Eagle flights.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Thanks to MrAndy1369 for starting the thread and for the guidelines.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 22, 19, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
More cost reductions to in-flight catering:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...pagne-glasses/
Perhaps a silly question, but is this to imply that AA International F is losing any volume of Champagne catered (i.e., actual glasses full of Champagne) or just the number of physical Champagne flutes (i.e., the physical glass itself)? I have an International F flight in the coming months, and it will be very disappointing if it's the former...
Old Mar 23, 19, 12:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat View Post
Perhaps a silly question, but is this to imply that AA International F is losing any volume of Champagne catered (i.e., actual glasses full of Champagne) or just the number of physical Champagne flutes (i.e., the physical glass itself)? I have an International F flight in the coming months, and it will be very disappointing if it's the former...
I'd guess, simply based on the fact that it reads as "champagne glasses", that it's the physical glass/flute. Maybe there were reports of breakage or not enough passengers wanting to use the flutes, so they're reducing the count from 24 to 16. This is not a major change at all, because there are only 8 F seats on the 77W. You can easily "spin" it positively, acknowledging that each F passenger will have two flutes to use, vs. the previous three, but that's still plenty of flutes, and chances are, 1-2 F pax will decline the champagne altogether and not want to use the flutes, anyway (sleeping, not a drinker, etc.).

Also, I saw the other (now closed) thread. Wow. AA's meal service is still, IMHO, the best out of the 3 majors, even with those (minor and probably not very visible) changes. As for short rib vs. filet? I'd go for short ribs all the way! So, I'm chalking up the short ribs as a positive change, for me, anyway. I doubt Y/PE customers will notice the shortened liners, and I'm assuming F/J will still carry the linens, so it won't even be noticeable. Yes, AA's meal service was really bad following the merged service in September 2014, but they've really came a long way since then, and I honestly doubt those changes will decimate that. I could be wrong, though.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Mar 23, 19 at 3:18 pm Reason: minor edits
Old Mar 23, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, JetBlue, American, Hertz Gold, VX Elevate Gold (RIP)
Recent Experience w/Transcon J Class Breakfast Options?

I haven't flown J on AA in ages and am hoping for some tips re: breakfast choices on my upcoming SFO - JFK flight. Choices below. Happy to go with a special meal, if recommended. Also, separate question: has anyone tried the Hindu option for breakfast? I love curries and would happily eat one for breakfast, but I suspect what you'd get at breakfast is quite different from at L/D. Many thanks.

Breakfast meals

• Choose later
  • Traditional American Breakfast Traditional American Breakfast
    scrambled eggs with chives, Canadian bacon, roasted potatoes, herbed tomato
  • Broccoli and cheddar frittata Broccoli and cheddar frittata
    Fresh spring greens
  • Bagel and Lox Bagel and Lox
    New York bagel, Atlantic salmon lox, cream cheese, boiled egg, red onion, capers
  • Coconut chia oatmeal Coconut chia oatmeal
    fresh berries, mango, toasted coconut, dried apricot
  • Asian Vegetarian
    Spicy vegetarian meals with limited use of dairy products
  • Baby
  • Bland
    Simple cooking methods used specifically for passengers with digestive sensitivities
  • Child's
    Meals for children 2-5 years old
  • Diabetic
    Suitable for reduced sugar, hyperglycemic, hypoglycemic and carbohydrate controlled meal requests
  • Gluten intolerant
    This meal eliminates all foods prepared with wheat, rye, barley and oats
  • Hindu
    Prepared according to Hindu dietary practices and may include dairy, curries and spicy flavors
  • Kosher
    Prepared to comply with Jewish dietary laws
  • Low Fat/Low Cholesterol
    High fiber, low fat meal
  • Low Sodium
    No added salt, MSG or baking powder/soda
  • Muslim
    Does not contain pork, by-products of pork or ingredients containing alcohol
  • Non-Lactose
    Does not contain cheese, dairy products and their derivatives, lactose or milk products
  • Vegetarian/Vegan
    Does not contain meat, fish, fowl, eggs, dairy products or derivatives
  • Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian
    Vegetarian meal that may include eggs and dairy products
Old Mar 24, 19, 11:27 am

Programs: AA CK (3MM), Marriott LTT and Ambassador
I've always read that the transcons have almost the same soft product experience in F and J, so I was surprised to see two completely different menus offered online for F and J on a JFK-LAX flight.

J is showing:
  • Beef Filet - white cheddar mascarpone grits, gremolata, sautéed vegetables, beer sauce
  • Seared Salmon - basmati rice with peas, baby carrots, garlic butter, parsley
  • Maple Miso-Glazed Sweet Potatoes - farro, black rice, sautéed shiitake mushrooms, sugar snap peas, Asian chimichurri sauce, sesame seeds, garlic, onion
  • Chicken Parmigiana - cherry tomato sauce, creamy polenta with chives
And F is showing:
  • Beef Bolognese - orecchiette, Parmesan
  • Chicken Romanesco - Spanish orzo, ratatouille
  • Shrimp and Chicken Mango Sausage - coconut rice, pineapple salsa
  • Mushroom and Ancient Grain Loaf - garlic mashed potatoes, baby zucchini, carrots
Is this something new? And to me, the J entrees sound more "upscale" than the F offerings.

Last edited by ikwia; Mar 24, 19 at 11:48 am
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DFW-OGG
Lunch
PDB of bubbles, water, OJ

Personal bottles of water were handed out prior to hot towels and nuts

Pineapple chicken

No pics but had fruit & cheese for dessert (was so full by that point so only had a few nibbles)

Southwest dip before landing was tasty. The odd thing was I saw the beverage cart going down the A side of the plane along with this snack offering......no beverage cart on the L side. I thought maybe they're doing a U service and will get to my side.....NOPE. I ask the FA if I missed the beverage cart and she replies "Oh, we're just kind of asking people what they want" - which she clearly had no intention of doing. Got something finally, and had my glass scooped up well before we even started descending with the excuse "We're getting close" (which was still like 45 minutes away). Other than this it was a nice flight and crew.

As usual with AA, there was a MX issue on this flight so we arrived late.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Mar 24, 19 at 4:51 pm
Old Mar 25, 19, 6:39 pm

DFW-LGA
LAA A321
Lunch

Full PDB offered from this young crew. Jackets hung as well.

Also PDBs and inflight cocktails were served with white straws.....not even the blue ones...are the stick gone (I hope so).

Tex Mex salad or the Chow Mein.....all the people around me didn't want either and requested my dish below (which they couldn't get since they did not pre-order) or the Fruit & Cheese from main cabin.

Delish

Only a cookie for dessert......I thought this route got enhanced dessert service for Lunch flights or is it only dinner?
TravelLawyer likes this.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Mar 25, 19 at 7:00 pm
Old Mar 25, 19, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
DFW-LGA
LAA A321
Lunch

Full PDB offered from this young crew. Jackets hung as well.

Tex Mex salad or the Chow Mein.....all the people around me didn't want either and requested my dish below (which they couldn't get since they did not pre-order) or the Fruit & Cheese from main cabin.

Delish

Only a cookie for dessert......I thought this route got enhanced dessert service for Lunch flights or is it only dinner?
Is this the Zoe’s charcuterie pre-order option? I see it as a choice on my upcoming flight out of DFW this week. That pic makes me want to order it.
Old Mar 25, 19, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by runpete View Post

Is this the Zoe’s charcuterie pre-order option? I see it as a choice on my upcoming flight out of DFW this week. That pic makes me want to order it.
Yes! Order it and you won’t regret it.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
And it’s ordered!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:18 pm
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA former-Platinum (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Except a few posts above where it was frozen solid.
bse118 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Had the scrambled egg hollandaise this morning. Did I see somewhere they use powdered eggs instead of real eggs? It looked good, but wasn't heated well and was really awful.

Why they can't just do omelettes is beyond me.
Old Mar 25, 19, 8:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
DFW-LGA
LAA A321
Lunch

Only dinner midcons get ice cream "sludges". All lunch and dinner transcons (2200+ miles) get the sundae service. To be fair, pmAA did exactly the same thing with their midcon lunch service (cookies).
Old Mar 25, 19, 11:54 pm

I was an AA domestic FF back in the day, but haven't flown AA in many years. Next month, I'll be flying AA SFO-JFK, outbound J and inbound F on A321 Layout 3. Do FAs allow you to postpone meal service until the second half of the trip in J and F on 3-cabin transcon flights like these?

Also, regarding the same flights, I see on seatguru.com that these planes have coat racks at the very front. Are these for F alone or can J passengers hang jackets there, too?

Many thanks.
Old Mar 26, 19, 12:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum
Originally Posted by BigOAir View Post
I was an AA domestic FF back in the day, but haven't flown AA in many years. Next month, I'll be flying AA SFO-JFK, outbound J and inbound F on A321 Layout 3. Do FAs allow you to postpone meal service until the second half of the trip in J and F on 3-cabin transcon flights like these?

Also, regarding the same flights, I see on seatguru.com that these planes have coat racks at the very front. Are these for F alone or can J passengers hang jackets there, too?

Many thanks.
Delayed meals are FA dependent. More often than not, if I fall asleep early into a meal flight and I don't wake up until after the meal, the FA will ask if I'm ready to eat and will have my meal (including a pre-order if applicable), which is great. But sometimes I get a begrudging "I'll have to see what's left" (read: FA was going to eat my meal and I woke up just in the nick of time). And I've gotten strange answers on the rare occasions when I've asked in advance to wait a couple hours to eat, so YMMV. Presumably it's a problem for an FA intending to do the service, pour a refill, and then hide out in the galley. I'd say it's less likely to be a problem in F than in J. Definitely pre-order if you're going to do that though.

Coats should be hung in both F and J; the FA should hang for you.
Old Mar 26, 19, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
Delayed meals are FA dependent. More often than not, if I fall asleep early into a meal flight and I don't wake up until after the meal, the FA will ask if I'm ready to eat and will have my meal (including a pre-order if applicable), which is great. But sometimes I get a begrudging "I'll have to see what's left" (read: FA was going to eat my meal and I woke up just in the nick of time). And I've gotten strange answers on the rare occasions when I've asked in advance to wait a couple hours to eat, so YMMV. Presumably it's a problem for an FA intending to do the service, pour a refill, and then hide out in the galley. I'd say it's less likely to be a problem in F than in J. Definitely pre-order if you're going to do that though.

Coats should be hung in both F and J; the FA should hang for you.

Thanks! I was afraid of the YMMV aspect, but I can't say I'm surprised. Oh well. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I'm hoping/expecting that at least on the F inbound delaying service won't be an issue; want to check out the Flagship First Dining in the lounge beforehand and don't expect to be hungry as soon as I'm up in the air and headed west.

Last edited by BigOAir; Mar 26, 19 at 9:19 am Reason: typo

Search this Thread