Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Link to Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST.

MrAndy1369 originated this thread. Other posts in this topic have been merged here, throwing his post to #4. For members easy reference, we have reproduced that guidepost in its entirety. /Moderators

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Introduction
Welcome to the 2019 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on domestic service. Please post your meal/service experiences, including menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, refreshments, none). Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is up to you.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Throwback mode? Go crazy! For the 2019 International Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!
[COLOR="Navy"]Welcome to the 2019 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)
American Eagle flights do not offer pre-ordering of meals.

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.
  • Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

• At this time, pre-ordered meals are not available on American Eagle flights.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Thanks to MrAndy1369 for starting the thread and for the guidelines.
[COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Is it just me or did JFK-LAX Breakfast service get a lot better?

JFK-LAX
A321T
Business Class
Breakfast
Comp UPG cleared at booking (not a SWU) which was a little over 24 hours in advance

Menu (4 options, including two egg dishes)

PDB of bubbles, water or OJ.

Hot towels, linens, first drink service with two packaged biscotti in a ramekin (these have been hit or miss for me )

The scrambled eggs were actually really good and the tomato was super flavorful....I ate everything

I don't remember a post breakfast dessert......today it was a large fruit and cheese plate (no pic)

Then the snack baskets laid out

Then the cookie service

Plenty of refills throughout the flight and Viasat WiFi worked really well and for $16 is a fair price and I was able to go back and forth between my laptop and phone.

Overall very impressive I must say!
Andriyko and AAEmpireState like this.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jan 31, 2019 at 2:18 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MathMusic
I have an upcoming flight BUF-MIA (1185 mi) on an A319 departing at 6:04AM. At booking it lists a Continental breakfast, with no option to select a meal online. What should I expect? My later flight MIA-MBJ is short (524 mi) so only expecting a snack basket, but I am curious as to what the longer flight might offer for breakfast.
I dont think BUF is a catering station so this flight would be double catered so the meal would be shelf stable items. Eat before getting to the airport...
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Thankfully I'm not diabetic......just sick of the usual options already. I'll let it slide.......just a warning about special meals out of EWR.
Most diabetic meals I have seen have been heavy on the protein (double meats instead of carb-heavy options).
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Most diabetic meals I have seen have been heavy on the protein (double meats instead of carb-heavy options).
I did diabetic out of vegas, was basically the same chicken served for the other meals, minus the sauce. And roasted potatoes instead of the twice baked potato.
Did diabetic out of Miami - was a beef fillet with couscous and broccoli, same sides as the other trays (along with the pre-packaged roll) which was much better than the bread served from the bread basked (stale).

None of the diabetic meals have been great - makes me want to exercise more so one day I won't really need a diabetic diet.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
DCA-DFW breakfast AVML - after a 2 hour tarmac delay for de-icing. Oh well.

Was pretty nice for a brunch time, a kind of veggie/bean curry with some wheat and carrot something or other. Much nicer than the turkey sandwich looked

Will update with a photo when I get a chance
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I did diabetic out of vegas, was basically the same chicken served for the other meals, minus the sauce. And roasted potatoes instead of the twice baked potato.
Did diabetic out of Miami - was a beef fillet with couscous and broccoli, same sides as the other trays (along with the pre-packaged roll) which was much better than the bread served from the bread basked (stale).

None of the diabetic meals have been great - makes me want to exercise more so one day I won't really need a diabetic diet.
Last year many members posted photos that the Diabetic meal they got had two of the same proteins, IF it was a hot chicken dish, there was a sliced cold chicken on a separate plate. Lately it seems that AA has changed their Diabetic meals a little, which I would assume would be better then the normal meal. However, it all depends on what station you are getting your meal from too. Here in PHX the special meals seems to be rather better then other stations.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Dont do diabetic meals out of LGA thats for sure....theyre gross.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended

LAX-JFK
A321T
Business Class
Lunch

Used up my last SWU.

PDB of bubbles, water, OJ.

Hot towels, nuts, drink of choice from the cart, refills offered on the cart's trip back to the galley.

Starters

Short rib was cooked really well and the BBQ sauce was pretty solid.

No room for dessert
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by shaddie
Not complaining cause 7am is too early and AA club tacos are so boring.
200x better than the spinach mush they've had in the evenings for what seems like forever...
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:35 pm
Suspended

LGA-ORD
Lunch

PDB of choice

Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA-ORD
Lunch

PDB of choice
Look at all of that room. A separate flip-down tray for the mixed nuts; a stand-up tray for the drinks. a stable meal table; a proper seat pocket.

Enjoy it all while you can....
AANYC1981 and Spanish like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
BOS-PHX LAA B738 (non-Oasis). LAX LAA crew. Full bar PDB, excellent by-the-book dinner service. Pre-ordered diabetic meal -- everyone had meal envy. Other options were some sort of chicken and "lasagna", which is really more like a bolognese. Ice cream sundae or cheese plate for dessert.

Drink refills the ENTIRE 6.5 hour flight. Well done!

railmatt likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
deleted

Last edited by pigx5; Feb 5, 2019 at 11:51 am Reason: delete
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Hello,

I've got a red eye flight coming up that's offering the following two breakfast meals. Does anyone have any experience/recommendation with these choices?
  • Steel Cut Oatmeal
    • various fruit garnishes
  • Smoked Fontina Cheese Omelette
    • with Peppadews, herbed potatoes and Italian parmesan chicken sausage
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ts.pub
Hello,

I've got a red eye flight coming up that's offering the following two breakfast meals. Does anyone have any experience/recommendation with these choices?
  • Steel Cut Oatmeal
    • various fruit garnishes
  • Smoked Fontina Cheese Omelette
    • with Peppadews, herbed potatoes and Italian parmesan chicken sausage
Had the omelette a few weeks ago out of DFW. It was one of the better options Ive had for breakfast recently on American.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.