Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Need advice: Vacation to Italy/Greece from Vancouver/Seattle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

I'd like to book a flight from YVR or SEA for four - anytime in 2019 in business class.

I'm executive Platinum, 16-500mileTokens + 4-systemWideUpgrades

AA: 266k points
Chase Reserve: 100k points
Amex Plat: 100k

Objective: Don't want to spend anything if don't have to. My issue is I found out you cannot use your 'systemWideUpgrades" on AA unless you buy the ticket with currency.
Question1: Can I buy the tickets with Chase portal instead of AA points, or would the system know? I suppose it would as you have to use the tickets there and then.

If above is not possible, that makes the systemWideUpgrades useless to me, so ill just use them up for work one day which is a bummer.

Question2: Looks like I'll have to buy business class via mileage points. Are there any deals or 'special fares' or can you reommend another airline I can convert AA points to another (say avios) and buy business class that way?

What would you do if you have the points mentioned above? Booking through AA.com I'm pretty much stuck having to fly economy-plus at best (as I cant use mileage or systemwide). Maybe Chase portal or Amex portal have better fares? Or maybe I can convert amex/chase points to avios?

I notice lufthansa or british airway has many flights, is there a way to move AA to British airway or lufthansa via alliance or oneworld?

Last edited by jungly; Dec 31, 2018 at 9:19 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jungly
<snip>
Question2: Looks like I'll have to buy business class via mileage points. Are there any deals or 'special fares' or can you recommend another airline I can convert AA points to another (say avios) and buy business class that way?

What would you do if you have the points mentioned above? Booking through AA.com I'm pretty much stuck having to fly economy-plus at best (as I cant use mileage or system wide). Maybe Chase portal or Amex portal have better fares? Or maybe I can convert Amex/chase points to avios?

I notice Lufthansa or British airway has many flights, is there a way to move AA to British Airway or Lufthansa via alliance or oneworld?
Little hard to understand what you want: saver award/anytime award/cash/buy via cc portal/SWU

Effectively you cannot convert/move ff miles from 1 ffp to another ffp. (A few limited exceptions which do not apply here)

Some credit cards loyalty program allow you to transfer cc points to a wide range of airline ffp's. Not just AA
Credit card transfer linksHave you looked at routes to Eu?
AA thread--->Where exactly does AA fly to Europe? Which routes have good business seats?

AA anytime awards are only on AA metal. A lot more ff miles compared to saver awards.

You can use AA ff miles for saver awards on AA, BA & other ff partners. BA will have hefty cash surcharge.
Business class awards hard to get. 4 on same flight- much much harder to impossible

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

BA IB----> Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia) (master thread)

SWU thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

LH/UA/Star Alliance is nothing to with AA/BA/Oneworld:---> direct opposition.
Can do nothing "via Star / OW alliance". They are airline marketing organisations only and not ffp's.

Edit
OP's other thread on this topic (9 Sept 2018)---->Advice for vacationing to Europe as an Executive Platinum
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 31, 2018 at 11:46 pm Reason: added SWU thread link & old thread
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jungly
Objective: Don't want to spend anything if don't have to. My issue is I found out you cannot use your 'systemWideUpgrades" on AA unless you buy the ticket with currency.
Question1: Can I buy the tickets with Chase portal instead of AA points, or would the system know? I suppose it would as you have to use the tickets there and then.

Question2: Looks like I'll have to buy business class via mileage points. Are there any deals or 'special fares' or can you reommend another airline I can convert AA points to another (say avios) and buy business class that way?
I think your expectations may be a little unrealistic in terms of not paying anything and traveling business class.

That said, if you buy a ticket with Chase points you can use your systemwides or miles to upgrade it (Y/W to J or J to F).

If you try to buy J tickets with AA points then you'll almost certainly find that the taxes and surcharges that get charged will cost you nearly as much as an economy ticket.

'Free' business class is a very very rare beast and you might be better off trying to find a unicorn or the end of a rainbow
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
If you try to buy J tickets with AA points then you'll almost certainly find that the taxes and surcharges that get charged will cost you nearly as much as an economy ticket...
- Charges are actually not so bad if you stick to AA metal (or AS in US). For example, milesAAver SEA-JFK-MXP award in J for the middle of February is 115,000 miles
+ $60.23.
Try booking two awards and two coach tickets on AA through Chase portal and than apply SWUs. The latter is of course a lottery.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
i don’t think you will find an airline opening four seats in business class on the same flight at one time for saver awards. Upgrades are treated like awards in terms of inventory.

If you are willing to split up and take two flights, it might theoretically be possible, but not for $0. Taxes are never waived.

Also, since you aren’t at an international gateway for AA or Iberiafor TATL, your connecting flight would almost certainly be in coach.

I regularly look for two tickets from the west coast to Italy. I think your requirements are so strict that I would say it’s nit possible.

be willing to pay fees, and Iberia might be your best option. One ticket could be had by transferring Chase points to Iberia. Take out a couple of Iberia Chase credit cards and you’ll have enough for another ticket. Iberia done with their program is less )off peak) than using AA points, and much easier to get as they become available a year in advance, one month earlier than AA sees them.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:14 am

Biggest thing to keep in mind is that using award miles or SWU's is an either/or situation. You can either use award miles for a 'free' ticket, or you can buy a ticket and use a SWU to upgrade. You can not do both on the same ticket. And while award miles can be redeemed on partner airlines, SWU's can only be used on American metal.

My wife and I 'argue' over this annually. I want to use up SWU's (and also earn miles in the process), and she just wants me to redeem miles for 'free' tickets. AA could help my marriage if they'd just let me use both on the same ticket

As others have pointed out, award seats (at least at the saver level) and upgrade seats are generally hard to come by without a bit of searching and patience.

One other option is to look at AA Vacations, which combine air + hotel. They often have really good business class fares (below what you'd publicly find), and you can just pick the cheapest hotel room and not use it. Those tickets are SWU eligible. Then you could look at (with your fingers crossed) finding saver awards for the other 2 tickets, or buy the other 2 tickets through the Chase portal.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan

Also, since you aren’t at an international gateway for AA or Iberiafor TATL, your connecting flight would almost certainly be in coach.
I, too, think the OP's spec is wildly unrealistic but I don't agree with your statement above. AS has F service SEA-YVR/LAX/ORD/DFW/PHL/JFK. AA has F service SEA-LAX/DFW/CLT/JFK.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:21 am

Upgrades are treated like awards in terms of inventory.
Not sure if you meant this to imply that they pull from the same bucket, but they don't. There actually doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between U inventory (milesaver business award) and C inventory (upgrade).

A quick ExpertFlyer search could probably find lots of flights with C inventory but no U inventory. The reverse does happen, but not nearly as common in my experience.

It's as if AA is saying 'ok fine... we'll let you use your stupid upgrades, but you need to buy a ticket first and then we'll think about letting you move up front. But go ahead and keep those miles banked, because we'd rather let seats go out empty than let you use your miles"
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I, too, think the OP's spec is wildly unrealistic but I don't agree with your statement above. AS has F service SEA-YVR/LAX/ORD/DFW/PHL/JFK. AA has F service SEA-LAX/DFW/CLT/JFK.
I haven’t checked this route in particular, but AA doesn’t make domestic F available too often. I’m fact, a decent connecting coach flight is tough.

Are you basing your comment because of F availability or just routes with F cabins?

maybe AS is better.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by dave_261
Not sure if you meant this to imply that they pull from the same bucket, but they don't. There actually doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between U inventory (milesaver business award) and C inventory (upgrade).

A quick ExpertFlyer search could probably find lots of flights with C inventory but no U inventory. The reverse does happen, but not nearly as common in my experience.

It's as if AA is saying 'ok fine... we'll let you use your stupid upgrades, but you need to buy a ticket first and then we'll think about letting you move up front. But go ahead and keep those miles banked, because we'd rather let seats go out empty than let you use your miles"
thank you for the clarification, you are correct. I meant to say that on flights with both U and C inventory, it seems like when you use a SWU or miles/copay, the U inventory goes down. Perhaps it’s just my sample and not systematic.

Last edited by beachfan; Jan 1, 2019 at 4:11 pm
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry

thank you for the clarification, you are correct. I meant to say that on flights with both U and C inventory, it seems like when you use a SWU or miles/copay, the U inventory goes down. Perhaps it’s hust my sample and not systematic.

I
I got bit by that recently because I forgot and did it in the wrong order. I booked my wife on a RT TATL in J using BE award and then tried to book/upgrade a Y ticket for myself but the C inventory disappeared. Switched the date and did it in the correct order and got it done.

1) Put on hold the Y ticket
2) Call to get it upgraded (while on hold)
3) Book Saver J online with miles
4) Purchase Y (upgraded) ticket

If 3 disappears, wait to see if RM releases more, if not don't book the Y ticket and find another day/flight.

Relative to OP.

1) you have enough AA mileage for 2 RT Saver J
2) your chase points are worth .01 per point or about $1000. That's approximately a coach ticket (maybe a little light) and, as far as AA is concerned, revenue tickets so you can use 2 SWUs to upgrade them
3) the Amex MR points as also worth .01 per point unless you have a Business Platinum Amex in which case you get a 35% rebate of points (so $1000 = 100k points with a 35k point rebate). If you can buy a ticket with Amex MR points, same SWU logic holds as #2.

If you can split your party across two flights that would make it more possible. In all cases, ExpertFlyer Subscription would be of immense help.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
It can be done, but it takes lots of digging and creativity. I’ve gotten 5 U awards on AA starting in Seattle and going to Europe, and I’ve done it twice in 2018. I got SEA-DFW-LHR-PMI in August and SEA-LAX-LHR in December. We flew back via CAI on cheap one way J fares we found ex-CAI (which are no longer available) which we upgraded to F (CAI-LHR-LAX) on the trans atlantic (AA) sector. You have enough miles for the AA NA-EU biz awards for 4 pax one way. Maybe start looking for those and then see if you can find the other direction with your other points/miles and some cash+upgrades.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by stephem
It can be done, but it takes lots of digging and creativity. I’ve gotten 5 U awards on AA starting in Seattle and going to Europe, and I’ve done it twice in 2018. I got SEA-DFW-LHR-PMI in August and SEA-LAX-LHR in December. We flew back via CAI on cheap one way J fares we found ex-CAI (which are no longer available) which we upgraded to F (CAI-LHR-LAX) on the trans atlantic (AA) sector. You have enough miles for the AA NA-EU biz awards for 4 pax one way. Maybe start looking for those and then see if you can find the other direction with your other points/miles and some cash+upgrades.
If OP wants to use the SWUs and keep the Y-upgradeable ticket prices reasonable, it would be best to book 2 RTs with the miles and purchase (via points) RT discount Y to use the SWUs on. It's a shame that OP isn't doing it in reverse as Y TATL fares ex-Italy tend to run 75% of equivalent fare ex-NorthAm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.