Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight delayed due to crew rest?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
It's incredible how AA still cannot run these flights consistently on time.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
It's incredible how AA still cannot run these flights consistently on time.
Stuff happens such as weather or mechanical that stops a 100% on time performance.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Of course, the end of the month is a tough time as crew run out of hours.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Put a flight alert on your email and check your phone every half hour or so. Even if they reduce the delay given the long haul nature of the flight I would be comfortable that there would be enough advance notice for you to cut short the visit to the centre and get back to the airport to make it given you won't need to to check in, check luggage, etc.
flightrisk likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Of course, the end of the month is a tough time as crew run out of hours.
I believe the calendar month constraint has been replaced by a rolling 28-day constraint.

Sorry if there's something newer. This is from May '13.

A flightcrew member is limited to 100 hours of flight time in 672 consecutive hours (28 days). This is a “rolling” 672 hours and replaces the former requirements of 100 hours in any calendar month and the former monthly and quarterly limits for international augmented operations.

http://www3.alpa.org/portals/alpa/co...quirements.pdf
flightrisk likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Thanks everyone, lots of useful information in here! I called AA and they said the crew is known and the delay is definite, and unprompted said “it’s not like they’re going to find a new crew.”

Barring any last minute issues, I think I’ll take the chance and I’m familiar enough with HK that it shouldn’t ever be more than one hour from the gate.

By the way, in typical AA IT fashion, I tried creating an alert on aa.com as suggested and it created an alert for the 12/31 flight that was delayed 15 hours over the new year to 1/1. That flight finally departed and now the system gives an error creating alerts. There doesn’t appear to be any way to force the system to create an alert for the actual aa126 originally scheduled for 1/1.

Happy New Years everyone!
C17PSGR and Gerbs like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by reeg2
Actually, no. This isn't even remotely related to having an issue that prevented OP from making a flight.
Sure it is. Airline said that the flight was delayed, OP relied on that information, so they were late. I don't know why you think that would be more upsetting to AA than an actual flat tire or think this would be a particularly abusive invocation of the rule.

It'd just be a lie - there's no need for ethical gymnastics.
Huh? Who would be lying? The flat tire rule doesn't require an actual flat tire. Just show up to the airport within two hours of the original flight time and say you thought the flight was delayed and I'd be very surprised if there would be any problem at all.

Having said that, the rule is not very useful if there's no later flights that day since it just allows you to standby later the same day. In practice, though, I've had agents just confirm me on flights later the same day or even the next day. Not sure how much discretion they have these days, though.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by LarryJ
With the (relatively) new 14 CFR 117 flight and duty limitation rules, at least for pilots, we all pretty much fly to the regulation. There are very few additional restrictions added by the union contracts as 14 CFR 117 is, in most cases, more restrictive.
Are you familiar with the current AA/APA contract? I know back in the day when sideletters had to be negotiated to support what was then new ultra-long range flying for AA beyond the scope of the then current contract, there were some VERY generous layover time provisions in those sideletter agreements.

Although I don't remember any of them being as generous as QF flight attendants' contractual right to at least 72-hour layovers when working SYD-LAX/SFO.

Back to the overall theme of this thread though, I'm surprised at the amount of advice on this thread suggesting that OP need worry that AA might pull forward a posted crew rest delay at a spoke station that gets two flights a day and is located 15 hours flying time from the nearest AA crew base. Think through how airlines really work, folks.

If there is any delay that is safe to assume accurate, it's the one posted by OP.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
FWIW, flight left 2 hours late. Plane was the 12/30 AA193 LAX-HKG.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
LIB. MR Ducks.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Herb687
Are you familiar with the current AA/APA contract? I know back in the day when sideletters had to be negotiated to support what was then new ultra-long range flying for AA beyond the scope of the then current contract, there were some VERY generous layover time provisions in those sideletter agreements.

Although I don't remember any of them being as generous as QF flight attendants' contractual right to at least 72-hour layovers when working SYD-LAX/SFO.

Back to the overall theme of this thread though, I'm surprised at the amount of advice on this thread suggesting that OP need worry that AA might pull forward a posted crew rest delay at a spoke station that gets two flights a day and is located 15 hours flying time from the nearest AA crew base. Think through how airlines really work, folks.

If there is any delay that is safe to assume accurate, it's the one posted by OP.
Don't FAs only get paid for flight time? If so, why would you want 40 hrs of rest time when you can be earning money?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Right, the aircraft came from LAX, but the crew came from the 12/29 AA125 DFW-HKG which arrived at 136a on 12/31. AA126 departed on 1/1 at 545p, which seems to be 40 hours to me. I asked one of the FAs, and she said they were all replacement reserve FAs for the 12/29 flight since the original crew timed out, and thought she had 38 rest hours.

Too tired to totally understand, but thought it was interesting info.

Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Don't FAs only get paid for flight time? If so, why would you want 40 hrs of rest time when you can be earning money?
Exactly. Same for pilots.

There are minimums per day, or per hour on duty or away from base, called rigs. When you fly trips that only pay rig (the 'hard time' is less than the 'rig time') you end up flying more days per month to make the same pay. The more productive trips will go more senior as they allow you to make more money in fewer days of work.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
EF is listing a delay I have due to “crew availability,” which sounds like an AA issue. Even if weather, they should have enough crew. I’m going to misconnect. Does AA cover hotels for EPs/CKs in this situation?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
EF is listing a delay I have due to “crew availability,” which sounds like an AA issue. Even if weather, they should have enough crew. I’m going to misconnect. Does AA cover hotels for EPs/CKs in this situation?
Theoretically yes for everyone from CK to peasant if not weather. But the good old days of getting the four-star on-airport hotel are over. Not to mention they run out of vouchers, and "weather" elsewhere counts. Let us know where they offer you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.