Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA at Milan Malpensa / MXP: fast track immigration, security? Arrival?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:06 am
Original Poster

We're flying AA J JFK-MXP rt.

Is there fast track immigration on arrival? If so, will we need any document other than BPs?

Is there fast track security on departure? If so, any special doc needed?

Here's a old thread on the lounge at MXP MXP / Milan Malpensa oneworld Lounges (consolidated) Has boarding at MXP gotten any better?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Recently flew MXP-JFK. Get there very early (I was told 3 hours and thats what I did). Agents are very kind, but SLOW! It is also a decent walk from the entrance of the terminal to the ticket counter and back to security. There is fast track security where you just need your boarding pass/passport. After security, you are in the duty free area and past duty free is passport control, there was just one line.

Boarding was a disaster. Agent at check in said they would be boarding through busses and the gate was far from the lounge so allow extra time. Agent next to her said "they don't wanna pay for the gates". So we boarded a 772 from a ground level gate and boarded a bus.

Note the lounge that you can access flying business class was far from our gate, but if you have priority pass you can access both. There were 2 on the B side.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by richarddd
We're flying AA J JFK-MXP rt.

Is there fast track immigration on arrival? If so, will we need any document other than BPs?

Is there fast track security on departure? If so, any special doc needed?

Here's a old thread on the lounge at MXP MXP / Milan Malpensa oneworld Lounges (consolidated) Has boarding at MXP gotten any better?
I'm not aware of any AA station in Europe outside of LHR that offers any sort of fast track immigration on arrival.

Flew MIA-MXP roundtrip earlier this year. I do remember some sort of priority security lane leaving MXP, don't think anything was needed other than a business class boarding pass but I'm sure they will direct you accordingly when you check in with AA.

For a Prioriry Pass style multiple airline setup I thought the lounge was great, as echoed in most of the comments in the MXP lounge thread you mentioned. As to boarding, I don't remember it being particularly bad or good, largely a non event, similar to most every other Euro departure I've had on AA lately.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I have flown JFK/MIA-MXP probably a dozen (or more) times and at MXP there is a race to the immigration line and no fast track, just EU passports to the right and nonEU to the left. It all depends on whether some other flight came in just before you and if it is a flight from Asia the nonEU line sometimes moves very slowly.

As JJeffrey notes there is a fast track security out of MXP and they scan BPs to verify but it's not that great a time saver. It is a long walk from AA to security to the lounge to the gate. Also, for the record, there is a precheck in security check (i.e., on the way to the AA desk) that can get backed up a bit.

I have not flown this route very recently but I do not recall every taking the bus to the plane from MXP, but all things are possible
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Plat Hyatt Diamond Marriot Plat elite Hilton DIamond and IHG Plat
Just flew JFK-MXP this past month. I had a 22 hour layover so decided to leave the airport and see the city. Other than the long lines for Non-EU passports, I was able to get through customs/immigration without a hitch. Coming in the next day for my continuing trip, again only need BP and valid passport. This was on a Saturday morning at 0700, so again as always, ymmv
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:21 pm

OP,
It sounds like you got the answers to your questions. For future, I've also found the oneworld.com website handy for searching a specific airport's "Airport Services" like Fast Track and lounge access (relative only to the OW JV, obviously). Also, some airport websites are good resources for the same.

Last edited by pmblinn; Dec 28, 2018 at 12:26 pm Reason: clarifying verbiage
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Poster

How long is it likely to take to get from the gate to passport control to the MXP Express station in T1? We're scheduled to land 8:10 am Tuesday 7 January. I'd like to catch a train at 10:07 to connect at Milano Centrale.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:45 am

If that's the departure time from the airport station, that should be plenty of time with an on-time arrival. My records show that our arrival, with a longer wait for luggage than we'd have liked, had us at the station within an hour.
richarddd likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Yes, that would be departure from the airport station. We don't anticipate checking any luggage.

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a non-changeable train ticket from Milano Centrale. The advantage is that it's much cheaper in advance and it occasionally sells out. The disadvantage would be a wasted purchase if things run late. The 10:07 from MXP would get us there comfortably.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Yes, that would be departure from the airport station. We don't anticipate checking any luggage.

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a non-changeable train ticket from Milano Centrale. The advantage is that it's much cheaper in advance and it occasionally sells out. The disadvantage would be a wasted purchase if things run late. The 10:07 from MXP would get us there comfortably.
With an on-time arrival you have no problems at all catching the train barring lost luggage (time to report, etc). Having flown JFK or MIA-MXP at least a dozen times, IME luggage comes out pretty promptly. Your biggest risk would be a flight delay rather than immigration/luggage timing.
richarddd likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold

​​​​​​If I may ask, what is your final destination? There are buses that connect MXP to nearby cities directly. Much much more convenient than going all the way to Centrale to take yet another train.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must you need to take the train? There are buses from MXP to Milan Centrale as well as to towns near Milan. The buses are far more convenient than the train, also are cheaper too. Just get the bus tickets either at the counter inside the terminal or from the driver. We mostly take the buses to / from Milan instead of the airport train.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Must you need to take the train? There are buses from MXP to Milan Centrale as well as to towns near Milan. The buses are far more convenient than the train, also are cheaper too. Just get the bus tickets either at the counter inside the terminal or from the driver. We mostly take the buses to / from Milan instead of the airport train.
I strongly second this suggestion. The walk or shuttle-bus to the Malpensa Express station could take 15 to 20 minutes. You may have to wait 30 minutes for the next train, which will then take 50 minutes to arrive at Milan Central Station.

There are several companies that run buses from MXP directly to the Central Station. All-in, they take about the same time (or less) as the train, and are less expensive. They all leave from the curb immediately outside the arrivals hall. I find them more convenient and easier to deal with.

If you're going to a town within a couple of hours or so from MXP, there is most likely a more convenient bus service that will also depart from directly outside the arrivals hall and take you very comfortably and more quickly to your final destination.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
​​​​​​If I may ask, what is your final destination? There are buses that connect MXP to nearby cities directly. Much much more convenient than going all the way to Centrale to take yet another train.
Padova.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
The walk to the MXP train to Centrale is only a few minutes more than the walk to the bus. You can go down the elevator to the lower level (after you clear passport and customs) and it is a short walk.

But as mentioned above the buses run every few minutes and if there is not much traffic (e.g., on a weekend) the bus can be quicker (mostly since you leave right away and don't wait for the train). The bus drops you off right outside Centrale and costs something like 8 Euros. (I often stay at the Gallia next to the station so I often take the same bus)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.