Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding the 75K Mileage Cap

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Personally, if the price matters, I would pay $3100 and fly business class on EI rather than pay $9000 for AA, though would have to connect in Dublin

Non stop is nice, but I would take the $6000 saving - would take that over premium economy
It seems that the OP was interested in getting maximum AA RDM, and just proposed a solution with a modicum of comfort, especially for a relatively short flight.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
It seems that the OP was interested in getting maximum AA RDM, and just proposed a solution with a modicum of comfort, especially for a relatively short flight.
It seemed that the person was planning to spend $9000 on flight to London and wanted to know if it was possible to avoid the cap

before going to premium economy on AA, I would be looking at prices of other airlines. With $6000 saving , could use that to buy a business class or 1st class r/t ticket on quite a few long routes rather than use miles to try and get a business class award ticket

If it isn't a case where price matters and any saving would be going to someone else, thne just taking the 75,000 miles would be better than downgrading
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It seemed that the person was planning to spend $9000 on flight to London and wanted to know if it was possible to avoid the cap

before going to premium economy on AA, I would be looking at prices of other airlines. With $6000 saving , could use that to buy a business class or 1st class r/t ticket on quite a few long routes rather than use miles to try and get a business class award ticket

If it isn't a case where price matters and any saving would be going to someone else, thne just taking the 75,000 miles would be better than downgrading
Both of us proposed a solution, and yours might work better for them. OP now has options presented by some of us in the FT community.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Thanks Everyone... I guess I should have posted more detail... it's a corporate ticket and AA is the most convenient airline for me given my top domestic routes, BOS: DCA, BOS:ORD, BOSFW, so I'm pretty loyal to them... the 3-4 international trips I do a year are usually multi city and so I stay pretty loyal to AA/OneWorld.

I was mostly irritated by the cap. I only recently learned about the cap bc I did BOS:SIN (with stops in either HKG or NRT) and they capped me at 75K, even though the ticket was $11K.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by DFW DL
Why AA has this rule (other than mindlessly copying Delta) is beyond me. Switching to a spend-based program is supposed to reward high spenders; the 75,000 cap discourages them.
I truly don't understand the rationale behind this. I would love to understand because there must be something I'm missing. And as implied by another poster, it penalizes frequent fliers the most. It seems that if they are going to have a cap of some kind, then they should say that only a certain number of dollars will be used in the RDM calculation.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ikwia
I truly don't understand the rationale behind this.
The vast, vast majority of tickets subject to the 75k cap are not being funded by the passenger earning the miles. I don’t think it’s wholly unreasonable to put some limit on earnings, though it does seem unfair that the most frequent fliers are most likely to bump up against the cap. To me it might make more sense to tie the limit to the $ spend, and perhaps scale down the multiplier over certain thresholds. Eg, full RDMs up to $6k, 50% btwn $6-10K, 25% on spend over $10k.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon

The vast, vast majority of tickets subject to the 75k cap are not being funded by the passenger earning the miles. I don’t think it’s wholly unreasonable to put some limit on earnings, though it does seem unfair that the most frequent fliers are most likely to bump up against the cap. To me it might make more sense to tie the limit to the $ spend, and perhaps scale down the multiplier over certain thresholds. Eg, full RDMs up to $6k, 50% btwn $6-10K, 25% on spend over $10k.
Who is funding the ticket is irrelevant. The fare is the fare. Personal dollars are not worth less or more than corporate dollars and vice versa. I might agree if you said bulk or extra discounted tickets would earn a percentage less but there is no argument for penalizing full fare tickets a percentage just because you spent more.

The 75k cap is there to save the airline money plain and simple. It limits their liability in outstanding award miles to be redeemed. The calculus involved likely takes into account that very few actually hit the cap so it’s not a large sample of flyers who are affected.
lbbzman and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Corporates which are booking these fares may well be getting rebates back from airline based on amount spent, so for these there is a difference with who is paying.

Outside of corporate puchases, are there that many EP members buying tickets costing > USD6800 r/t - for a regular member, it would take $15,000 spend to reach the cap, and these I suspect are few n far between - especially since it is only travel on AA marketed flights which credits based on a dollar spend

There is a cap, i suspect, due to other carriers having a cap and so no reason for it not to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.