Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA and American culture (part redux)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
No, I think its that we've become a "Wal Mart" society. People are willing to trade service and comfort for a cheap fare. Look at the way Spirit and Frontier are growing. Personally I don't get it. To save maybe $50 you shove yourself into a god awful uncomfortable seat and have to pay for things like printing a BP at the kiosk (do either of those airlines have mobile BPs?) Not to mention in the case of irregular ops you are probably so totally screwed.

Kinda of amazing that the original no frills airline WN is now considered in many ways the full service airline.
$50 is 5 hours of hard work for many people in the U.S. so it is not trivial !
dls25, GTITAN and Spanish like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AA, WN, NK
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
(do either of those airlines have mobile BPs?) .
NK does, don't know about F9.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Lightbulb Philippics

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30519320-post35.html

Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
The flight attendant rarely attended to me, never proactively asking if I wanted anything.
I was never asked if I wanted anything else when flying NH J a little over 10 years ago. They kept my glass full, but that was it. It's my understanding that I was to ring the call button if I wanted anything (I think the menu may have even included a message to that effect).
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Perhaps the OP, if he/she has not already, should consider moving to an Asian country, where the rest of us barbaric Americans wont offend his delicate sensibilities.
lowmiles likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Wonder if this person was related to a high level executive of Korean Airlines....
JonNYC, Antarius, 757FO and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
It's no secret that Asian and Western styles of service can be very different. And the OP picks two extremes of each.

Even among US-based carriers, AA has the reputation for the least consistent service, especially on overseas routes They are often staffed by the most senior and least accountable FAs. Galley noise, yanking headphones 90 minutes or more before landing, and little proactive service are regularly reported here. To be (a little bit) fair to them, AA management heaps on more and more obstacles to delivering good service (packing in more seats, minimal catering even in premium cabins, minimum staffing) that even the good ones may eventually stop caring.

IME the Japanese in general, and JL in particular, are on the other extreme in terms of service. There is certainly a cultural aspect but it is obviously strongly reinforced through high standards and training.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Ahh ... I love the sound of clanking silverware in the morning.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
It really isn't possible for me to separate AA from American culture. I have no idea whether American culture is supposed to be service oriented or not, but I can tell you its airline culture is not.
A lot of good points brought up by others. I have flown both JAL and AA many times (14 trips) over the last 2 year between the US and Japan. There is no question in my mind there is a big difference in the service level between the two carriers. I generally blame this on: 1) no FA manager on AA flights, 2) AA FAs belong to a union and 3) relating to (2), the AA bidding system for flights where the FA with seniority (older FAs) generally work the desirable international flights. Maybe I am off on these points, so I would like hear if you think I am.

I do think the OP is wrong about the meal. I think AA's choices are as many if not more than JAL's. Sounds like the OP was sitting in or near the last row of business. The FAs work from front to back, so if you didn't pre-order, those in the last rows may have fewer choices if there is a run on a certain meal choice.

I have occasionally experienced the noise when sleeping on an AA flight, but it's rare.

I do prefer the super diamond seat design on AA over JAL's 2-3-2 business seating, and the AA zodiac seats get my 3rd place vote.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
You can’t compare AA with JAL without bringing up the cultural differences between USA and Japan, especially regarding service culture. To blame unions, and FA structures without even mentioning clear cultural distinctions is meaningless.

American (USA) service culture is what it is. It’s a reflection of the US itself. Informal, not regimented, more egalitarian. Japanese service culture is famous and distinctly not Western.

To expect them to be similar is ludicrous.

I absolutely enjoyed my AA flights to and from Japan. Of course, I am an American and I use technology to make sure I get my meal choices by preordering. I expect a US based airline to provide the easy informal and fun service I enjoy. And I was well taken care of in the AA 787-9 LAX - NRT flight I chose. The Flagship Lounge in LAX was great. Struck up conversations with several folks who work there. Fun place. The AA lounge in NRT was similarly nice.

my meals were good. The drinks were strong. The flight attendants were fun and casual and I was well taken care of. But I’m pretty low maintenance because I’m an American and have American based expectations for American service culture.
TWA884, AA100k and lowmiles like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
You can’t compare AA with JAL without bringing up the cultural differences between USA and Japan, especially regarding service culture. To blame unions, and FA structures without even mentioning clear cultural distinctions is meaningless.

American (USA) service culture is what it is. It’s a reflection of the US itself. Informal, not regimented, more egalitarian. Japanese service culture is famous and distinctly not Western.

To expect them to be similar is ludicrous.

I absolutely enjoyed my AA flights to and from Japan. Of course, I am an American and I use technology to make sure I get my meal choices by preordering. I expect a US based airline to provide the easy informal and fun service I enjoy. And I was well taken care of in the AA 787-9 LAX - NRT flight I chose. The Flagship Lounge in LAX was great. Struck up conversations with several folks who work there. Fun place. The AA lounge in NRT was similarly nice.

my meals were good. The drinks were strong. The flight attendants were fun and casual and I was well taken care of. But I’m pretty low maintenance because I’m an American and have American based expectations for American service culture.
I generally agree. But sometimes on the longhauls the senior FAs can be gruff and a real pain.
C17PSGR and robertablake like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by catcher1
I generally agree. But sometimes on the longhauls the senior FAs can be gruff and a real pain.
while ive been lucky and have not experienced that on American, it can put a damper on a great trip. Some people just hate their jobs.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

while ive been lucky and have not experienced that on American, it can put a damper on a great trip. Some people just hate their jobs.
My FA never smiled the whole trip (at least I never saw her smile).
While it isn't prohibited on AA (smiling, that is) on JL I'm pretty sure they are taught to smile.
It is like a server at a restaurant never smiling. I mean, it is a FA on a plane, not CBP at a port.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

My FA never smiled the whole trip (at least I never saw her smile).
While it isn't prohibited on AA (smiling, that is) on JL I'm pretty sure they are taught to smile.
It is like a server at a restaurant never smiling. I mean, it is a FA on a plane, not CBP at a port.
Well ... its a mix with the long haul biz crews, I had a recent RT on LAX-SYD and the crews both ways were excellent! Friendly and whenever my glass was empty ... they were there. It's wasn't Qatar, Even offering to make my bed although I prefer to make it myself (one of those American things) but not bad. Then I had a LAX-HKG where I wondered if we had a FA in J.

And, I confess, after some wine and port, followed by a few hours with the Casper bedding, its nice to hear the clank of silverware with the smell of breakfast. It reminds me that I soon I'll be landing in another interesting place.

And ... on another note, if I reversed some of this, and started complaining about culture from a different country, wouldn't I be accused of being a racist ....

The fact is that US and European based airlines sometimes tolerate poor service which sometimes comes from senior crews. Asian and Middle Eastern Airlines don't have that problem because they usually don't have legal restrictions on age discrimination or contracts with seniority provisions. On the other hand, my experiences with Compass and Skywest crews is like Lake Wobegon (where they use silverware that clank ...), that they are all above average.

Now hopefully, AA will adopt a policy of sending a survey to all pax in J with objective questions ... that you for flying AA ____ to ____. We would appreciate it if you would complete the following survey.

1. Were you offered a PDB
2. Did the FA greet you by name
3. Did the FA make you feel welcome throughout the flight
4. Did you receive the meal of your choice
5. Did the FA thank you by name for being an ____

I think all of these things are in the service manual ...
TWA884, catcher1 and bitterproffit like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I wouldn't make a generalization that it's the older FA's that are all awful due to the fact that I've had many older or at least "senior" male & female FA's in Y and F on domestic routing and Hawaii routes that went above and beyond and made me wish everyone acted like them.

It seems to me that the grumpiest most "I hate my job" types with high seniority pick the international routes because they only have to fly 3-4 flights max a month to keep their job. Maybe AA and the rest of the US majors should make these long haul flight attendants work more sectors a month, maybe that would weed out the "I don't like the job but I like the benefits" types that seem to gravitate toward the long haul flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.