Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I’d be irritated, but I wouldn’t be ordering that many drinks. Next time, stop at the Admirals Club bar beforehand, I guess.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:26 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I remember years ago flying SJU-DFW back when they still had Kahlua minis and those ridiculously tiny wine glasses. On breakfast flights I like to order Kahlua with milk (no vodka) and I called it the adult chocolate milk.

As we all know Kahlua is relatively mild when it comes to alcohol content. It was mixed with milk and served in this little “double shot sized” wine glass that can only hold 3-4 sips.

I had my first when the meal was served and 15 minutes later I asked if the FA could kindly refill the glass. She had this look of shock and then gave this devilish smile saying ok one more implying I was already consuming a lot.

I smiled in disbelief as she walked to the galley thinking it’s Kahlua and have you seen the size of this glass.

Anyway - fortunately those overly conservative FAs are far few in between. Although against the rules to consume onboard, you can always pack a mini or two as long as you are discreet about it.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:38 pm

Odd. On my last AA flight DEN-LAX I ordered 1 Corona. Paid with the card. As she unlocked the cart to move it, FA reached into the cart and handed me another. As I reached back for the card she smiled and just shook her head....dont worry. I smiled back. Very nice gesture, and have never had an issue with AA on this topic.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Sounds like she's following a pretty good plan.

We've got far too many instances of people being drunk on planes, I'm sure lots of times the FA just hands out the drink because someone asks, whereas they probably should limit them a bit more.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I was on a short hop from HSV to DFW earlier this year in first. I ordered a rum and coke for my PDB and I was on at least number 3 when we landed. I never asked for another and was napping on and off and they kept appearing. I think that holds the record of most drink service I've received on any domestic flight.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by drvannostren
We've got far too many instances of people being drunk on planes
Do we, though? How many instances are there?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jagoffee
3 drinks in 45 minutes seems like a lot to many of us.

Perhaps the FA was just being cautious as she does not know your alcohol tolerance and because of some of the recent in flight issues on other flights.
And it doesn't seem like a lot to others of us.

One drink per hour is the FA being lazy about both not wanting to bring drinks or assess intoxication levels which is the FAR standard.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by LAX_BillyJoe
Odd. On my last AA flight DEN-LAX I ordered 1 Corona. Paid with the card. As she unlocked the cart to move it, FA reached into the cart and handed me another. As I reached back for the card she smiled and just shook her head....dont worry. I smiled back. Very nice gesture, and have never had an issue with AA on this topic.
Three minis of hard liquor contain approximately twice as much alcohol as two bottles of Corona beer.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Three minis of hard liquor contain approximately twice as much alcohol as two bottles of Corona beer.
And gets into your system much faster due to the high concentration. Which is why consuming straight vodka is often used for "fuelling" type behaviour.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:05 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Interesting dialog since my original post. I’ll add that the flight in question is one I take often, and my usual routine is to enjoy the first one - double vodka on the rocks plus ice, which I fully consume before asking for another. That effectively makes it a vodka and water. Then after a period of time I go back and ask the FA for a refill. Never an issue. And, it always stops there due to the flight length and my own personal limitations.

I’ve also flown F on the route a number of times and the FA kept em coming, no questions asked.

So so maybe the issue is a lack of standard serving protocol. I’ve been on far more flights than not where there were any kind of obvious serving limitations.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I’m not for FA making up their own rules but if an incident occurs it’s the FA’s butt on the line. Unfortunately the airline has no stated policy leaving FAs to their own accord.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I’m not for FA making up their own rules but if an incident occurs it’s the FA’s butt on the line. Unfortunately the airline has no stated policy leaving FAs to their own accord.
It's ultimately a matter of Federal law; not much that can be done on the airline policy side (besides getting rid of onboard alcohol service altogether, I guess)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Unfortunately the airline has no stated policy leaving FAs to their own accord.
Have you completed AA's FA training program recently?
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Normally I'd think FA laziness but the fact that she called out "two Titos" on your first order suggests she was just being very conservative. I've never ordered a double in the air, though they're offered like crazy at most airport bars looking to make an extra buck.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
I'm going to have to side with the FA here. I think it's a good strategy to say it's some sort of rule. Imagine telling a flyer that in her opinion they look intoxicated and don't want to serve them another drink. It's way too easy for someone to take it the wrong way(be offended) and start a huge argument. When you say it's a rule, it is much harder for the flyer to argue that.

Everybody says they want the truth but most can't handle it......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.