Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by james318
I have no problem with that rule especially on wide bodies. But they tend to disappear for several hours.
One of the main reasons that, given a choice, I'll always choose a foreign carrier over an American one.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by freeagent
If I remember correctly, I think US Airways got sued for a drunk driving accident in New Mexico. A guy got drunk on the plane and drove afterwords causing an accident, which eventually lead to New Mexico pulling US Airways' alcohol license for a little while. This could be a reason some FAs are hesitant in over serving, but who knows everyones tolerance varies.
"And the guy's name... was Doug Parker. And now you know... the rest of the story.
Paul Harvey, good day!"
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by josua
Yes, for the first time last month. As FA handed my third drink she said: "This is your last one."
I asked her why she said that. She said that she didn't know if I would be driving later and that the airline would be responsible if I was.
Do you mind sharing what route this was? I can't remember the last time I drove within several hours of a flight, it must have been several years ago.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by josua
Yes, for the first time last month. As FA handed my third drink she said: "This is your last one."
I asked her why she said that. She said that she didn't know if I would be driving later and that the airline would be responsible if I was.
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Do you mind sharing what route this was? I can't remember the last time I drove within several hours of a flight, it must have been several years ago.
Why does it matter?
A lot of people drive to the airport and that's why airport parking lots exist (at almost all airports in the world).

Getting from gate to parking lot can take from 20 mins to one hour, not enough time for the body to process 3 glasses of wine
(not that the FA attendant knows or cares about the time it takes to get to your car for each and every airport that AA serves).
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
As said above, judge my behavior, not the quantity of drinks I order.
AeRoSpaceman and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Problem is, your behavior may appear perfectly fine when you are far over the legal limit to drive. I am one of those types.
MIAFlyer and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by james318
Problem is, your behavior may appear perfectly fine when you are far over the legal limit to drive. I am one of those types.
I am sure many FA's does not give a rodents behind as long as you aren't posing a safety risk to other passengers during the flight. My two cents.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
I can drink 6+ whiskeys on a flight and be fine. I'd be quite unhappy if someone told me I was incapable of handling any more.

Police peoples behavior. Not the number of drinks
Be fine to do what? Certainly not drive afterwards...(unless its a 6+ hour flight.....) And you do realise we are the LEAST able to judge our own abilities after drinking..... just look at drunks dancing...lol
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by trooper
Be fine to do what? Certainly not drive afterwards...(unless its a 6+ hour flight.....) And you do realise we are the LEAST able to judge our own abilities after drinking..... just look at drunks dancing...lol
Fine to do several things - send emails, relax, sleep, watch TV, take calls on landing, sit in a uber and a host of other activities.

I'm obviously not driving etc. My point is, I'm capable of not needing an FA to assume the lowest common denominator for me. Heck, what if I was a pilot? Then anything above zero is too much. Again, that's my decision and responsiblity.
Madison Guy likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by bchandler02
And this goes against responsible alcohol service. Quantity does matter.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I am sure many FA's does not give a rodents behind as long as you aren't posing a safety risk to other passengers during the flight. My two cents.
Then the FA’s should not be serving alcohol if that is their only concern in regards to alcohol service.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Again, that's my decision and responsiblity.
Except its also the servers (FA in this case) decision and responsability despite what you may feel, believe, or want.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I admit I am one who "drinks to much" while on flights (unless on a flight home with my car at the airport). Never been cut off by an FA, but if I was I would accept it and move on.

Did have one time an FA commented on it though. On a 16 hour TPAC I drank 5-6 beers before going to sleep. When I woke up about 4 hours before landing I ordered another. As the FA brought it, she commented (with a smile) that they had brought up some more from downstairs (was on upper deck of 747) as I had drank them out the last night.

That was on a US legacy, would never expect the eye candy FAs on an Asian airline to comment, or to have bothered to go down and bring me more beers.
deeruck likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
Except its also the servers (FA in this case) decision and responsability despite what you may feel, believe, or want.
if so, everyone should be capped out at none. What if I'm a pilot? Heck, some people have no tolerance so we should Saudia it and go dry.

Please, let's stop with the lowest common denominator behavior mentality. Its seemingly a cultural hallmark here, drop accessibility to the worst/lowest level member. Next, we'll argue math is too hard and enforcing 50lbs is unfair for the logically challenged.

Last edited by Antarius; Aug 1, 2019 at 1:44 am
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
One of the main reasons that, given a choice, I'll always choose a foreign carrier over an American one.
noticed the same on other OW carriers, just got off Qatar flight last night... seated in J, the FA could not stop asking me if I wanted another drink thru out the 15 hr flight.. (now a days, 2 G and T;s are plenty)
BA is also very pro active on drinks.. on several flights, they were pouring bubbles for my wife, as they begin decent, so as not to waste the bottle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.