Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA withholding, measuring or commenting on in air alcoholic drinks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Offshore171
The strong indicators of fuelling behaviour are ordering double shots of straight spirits, and it's nearly always vodka, tequila or rum.
Which is why consuming straight vodka is often used for "fuelling" type behaviour.
Vodka, tequila and rum are the most common three spirits consumed worldwide. If you think the alcohol choice or ordering a double clearly shows causation for the behavior you refer to from your "student days" then I am happy you are no longer a bartender.

It is the synthesis of multiple factors about the entire situation that could lead to such a determination.

But if the OP ordering a double Tito's makes any FA think the OP is trying to get wasted, they should probably be retrained.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
I noticed similar comments although not nearly as upfront on a transcon. flight recently in F class. It was also a young, and probably new FA. Service was pretty good otherwise, I think these young ones just are extra cautious because they fear for their jobs even if no one is acting out of line. I kind of find this a poor responsibility to have the FA's act as babysitters in this regard. Who is to know if someone showed up at the gate totally sober or if they had been at the airport bar for 3 hours non stop, not everyone shows the effects of alcohol the same way. This was a rare event thankfully and have never noticed anyone else get "cut off" or had any issues myself. Hell, Ive even had FA's give extra minis for connecting flights with no F service.

If people are not dangerously intoxicated IE could be a danger to themselves or others if an emergency happens and are also not in a disruptive manner then they should be continued to be served. A quick drink then followed by another drink by the OP should not have been cause for alarm lol

If anyone gets dangerously intoxicated by consuming a double drink, they should not be drinking period lol.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX_BillyJoe
Odd. On my last AA flight DEN-LAX I ordered 1 Corona. Paid with the card. As she unlocked the cart to move it, FA reached into the cart and handed me another. As I reached back for the card she smiled and just shook her head....dont worry. I smiled back. Very nice gesture, and have never had an issue with AA on this topic.
Are FA's permitted to just give $8 worth of merchandise away whenever they want?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mvoight
Are FA's permitted to just give $8 worth of merchandise away whenever they want?
If they can make up a "one per hour" rule, why can't they make up a "Buy one, get one free" rule?
Bradhattan likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by mvoight
Of course they're allowed to offer some complimentary items on a discretionary basis. I'm surprised you've never encountered this.
chitink, E55 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PHL
Interesting dialog since my original post. I’ll add that the flight in question is one I take often, and my usual routine is to enjoy the first one - double vodka on the rocks plus ice, which I fully consume before asking for another. That effectively makes it a vodka and water. Then after a period of time I go back and ask the FA for a refill. Never an issue. And, it always stops there due to the flight length and my own personal limitations.

I’ve also flown F on the route a number of times and the FA kept em coming, no questions asked.

So so maybe the issue is a lack of standard serving protocol. I’ve been on far more flights than not where there were any kind of obvious serving limitations.
Bingo. I've never been "cut off" sitting up front. When I see a FA treat F customers that way - "one drink per hour" - I'll give them benefit of the doubt, but in this case, it sounds like they just couldnt be bothered.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
On a flight yesterday, FC received one round of drinks. Period. No pre-departure drinks and the round was served 45 minutes into the 90-minute flight.

The FA shook our hands and thanked us for the business, so that made up for it.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
The FA shook our hands and thanked us for the business, so that made up for it.
This shaking of hands and thanking customers.....another "made up rule" by an FA, Deplorable.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Have you completed AA's FA training program recently?
AFAIK there is no onboard announcement of limitations. I'm sure that FAs are taught "best practices" in dealing with multiple requests for alcohol. The problem is that people have different tolerances and might behave differently. Some people may get stewed to the gills but sit there quietly and have arranged not to drive afterwards. Some people might act violent jeopardizing the flight and forcing a diversion or might be stupid enough to get behind the wheel of a car afterwards. FAs don't know whose who and have to make judgement calls. I've seen FAs cut people off in F (obviously where getting multiple drinks is far easier). A person taking medication with two glasses of wine can be just as dangerous as a roaring drunk that's drank a fifth of gin. Sadly too many people are too stupid to practice common sense.

In the case of a FA saying "no" I'm all for the FA. Its a commercial airliner not a fraternity party.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Usually the opposite happens to me. I rarely drink, and when the FA asks what I want and I ask for water or ginger ale they seem disappointed.
E55 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Of course they're allowed to offer some complimentary items on a discretionary basis. I'm surprised you've never encountered this.
So, if I thank them by sending an email to AA, there would be no problem for them? I was just thinking how this might cause problems if she gives a free one to pax A, but not to pax B, and they are of equal status.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Looking at this one from the attendant's POV for a moment. I'd certainly be wary to say the least, when a PAX orders a double shot of straight spirits, then comes down back to the galley with a cup asking for another hit.

That would set off alarm bells, and I can understand the response.
I agree with this approach. While your BAC isn't different when flying versus being on the ground, the different air pressure on the flight may make you appear to be slightly more intoxicated. Perhaps the FA observed this, even though the OP asserted that he/she was "fine". How many times have we encountered people who insist they were fine, when it was obvious they weren't? No offense to the OP, but whether the FA misspoke policy, it is their judgment (to which you may disagree and for which we have FT to make your point).
TWA884 and E55 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
We live in a litigious society that is ever-increasingly so. Complaining about not being able to have two doubles in 45 minutes probably increases the odds of further restrictions and conservative behavior on the part of FAs in the air. There is just too much legal risk around too many things these days.

Taking an attitude of "how dare she" or "I'm entitled to my booze," IMO, is never going to increase the odds of more liberal "standards."
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
This shaking of hands and thanking customers.....another "made up rule" by an FA, Deplorable.
It's not a rule, it's good business practice and good courtesy at the FA's discretion. You don't see it on all the flights, but most pax, particularly in F appreciate it.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:34 am

No one mentioned it, but being judgmental about someone ordering a double may well be part of it. The flip side of that is that given the declining service norms, that first order is often your last opportunity unless you get up or ring the call button. Ordering a double is probably something done more these days just to go ahead and get what you want for the flight duration. OP had to go place his second order in person at her office in the back....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.