FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Transatlantic 752 Business class questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1947396-transatlantic-752-business-class-questions.html)

talkandfly Dec 24, 2018 3:43 pm

Transatlantic 752 Business class questions

Mrs JPAZ and I just booked PHX to PHL to EDI on the TATL 752 using miles. It is "lie flat" but I know the seats are narrow, that the window seat lacks aisle access and the entertainment system is on tablets. My other options involved an extra stop with changing planes at LHR. My rationale, losing that stop and avoiding fees at LHR are be worth a bit less "luxury" crossing the pond. Anyone out there taken this flight? Thoughts?

Thanks!

777lover Dec 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Think you summed it up well. What additional info are u seeking?

Originally Posted by talkandfly (Post 30571192)
Mrs JPAZ and I just booked PHX to PHL to EDI on the TATL 752 using miles. It is "lie flat" but I know the seats are narrow, that the window seat lacks aisle access and the entertainment system is on tablets. My other options involved an extra stop with changing planes at LHR. My rationale, losing that stop and avoiding fees at LHR are be worth a bit less "luxury" crossing the pond. Anyone out there taken this flight? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Gig103 Dec 24, 2018 4:42 pm

When prices are the same, I'd rather go PHX-LHR-EDI to have more time in a layflat seat. But to save those surcharges I would have made the same decision. Remember too that in addition to the surcharges if you had flown the BA flight out of PHX you may also have also been assessed a seat assignment fee (depending on status).

JDiver Dec 24, 2018 6:32 pm

For a couple those seats, the same asused in the A321T Business class, are okay. We have taken them on several flights, the last time DFW-KEF, and I’d rather go nonstop than deal with connection vagaries.

Close2KADS Dec 24, 2018 9:44 pm

I've flown on this configuration, though not TATL. You've mentioned most of the pitfalls, but you may also want to be prepared for the IFE to be a bit dodgy too. Seats are basic lie-flats, but they really do lie flat. I'd say you made the right decision.

MichaelKade Dec 25, 2018 4:34 am

Also took this plane DFW-KEF. Sat in the window next to a friend which made getting out easier. I was ok climbing over him vs having to ask a stranger to do so or requiring them to move out of a bed state.

The seats are very narrow. I mentally prepared for that but if you were expecting a large comfy seat you’d be disappointed.

The IFE is terrible. Plan on it not working. They had to swap both my tablet and my companions out.

kpfleming Dec 25, 2018 5:31 am

Calling the IFE terrible is an insult to things that are terrible; it's atrocious. On our last flight a woman near us had to try three tablets and two power adapters before the FAs could find a combination that would actually work.

talkandfly Dec 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover (Post 30571204)
Think you summed it up well. What additional info are u seeking?

Just second-guessing my decision. Having flown the 752 to Maui, can't imagine it as a comfortable ride. But, given the "lie flats," I'll need to be more accepting. Wish there were an alternative that did not add extra stops but using Aadvantage miles, the alternatives are limited.

Thanks all, for your input and Merry Xmas!

JDiver Dec 25, 2018 7:24 pm

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by talkandfly (Post 30573018)
Just second-guessing my decision. Having flown the 752 to Maui, can't imagine it as a comfortable ride. But, given the "lie flats," I'll need to be more accepting. Wish there were an alternative that did not add extra stops but using Aadvantage miles, the alternatives are limited.

Thanks all, for your input and Merry Xmas!

The 752 to Maui doesn’t generally offer lie flats, iirc. That would have been in ex-US 752s as described in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...seats-etc.html with recliners.

Merry Christmas.

BarryAZ Dec 26, 2018 12:11 am

These days trying to get AA business class flights with miles to Europe can be a chore. More often than not from Phoniex, one ends up paying for the surcharges BA flight to LHR. We did that for this coming year -- PHX/LHR/FCO with the return from Dublin via LHR to Phoenix.

The only way you can fly AA metal is with the high mileage option.

Heck, I did a test look up the other day for a one way KOA/PHX -- AA has a direct flight. But via a miles look up what was offered was KOA/SEA/Phx on Alaska.

halls120 Dec 26, 2018 12:19 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30571532)
For a couple those seats, the same asused in the A321T Business class, are okay. We have taken them on several flights, the last time DFW-KEF, and I’d rather go nonstop than deal with connection vagaries.

This. While the IFE is antiquated, the seat is fine and not having to endure the Heathrow experience is a plus.