Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE,

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2017 HELP DESK: General questions re aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE,

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Wifi is spotty at times. There will be overhead tv monitors, but there are also several versions of 738, some that have their own IFE.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:01 am

Streaming to your own device is also an option. If twiddling your thumbs is scary proposition, you could get really crazy and read a book.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Abstract1
Can anyone confirm please, I understand that these aircraft are not equipped with AVOD in the seats in F....basically its a loooong 5.5 hours twiddling thumbs! Does wifi work ok? Thanks. ^
if you are seated in F, you should get samsung tablet with their typical IFE.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tphuang
Not to Las Vegas. OP will either have overhead monitors and audio channels or if he/she gets lucky and flies on a 73A (N939NN/3LC+) there will be seat back IFE. No real way to tell until 24-36 hours before hand and it is subject to change.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Streaming to your own device is also an option. If twiddling your thumbs is scary proposition, you could get really crazy and read a book.
Fair play! Although i am not an avid reader. It seems as though AA does not have the best offering to LAS. Does anyone have some experience?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Abstract1
It seems as though AA does not have the best offering to LAS. Does anyone have some experience?
As of September 2016, 20% of the 738 fleet had in-seat IFE. The percentage is a bit higher now, as America has taken delivery of seven new 738's since then. The planes with seatback IFE tend to be assigned to the longer routes, but there is no way of knowing in advance of whether your flight will have individual seat back monitors or ceiling mounted drop down screens.

For more information, check this thread:
Old Jan 29, 2017, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k Gold, Hertz 5 Star, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ccengct
Implementation of true MCE in the legacy US fleet (aside from designating exit rows and bulkhead rows as MCE) will take time, if it ever happens. I have my doubts. The good news is, premium economy is coming to all widebodies except 767s. I do have confidence that AA will follow through on that. Eventually the 332s will get it.
Did not know that, so all 332s or Airbuses in general are legacy US fleet? So a better choice of aircraft with true MCE would be the 777s or 787s, maybe even 767 if it's a renovated one?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tphuang
LAS-JFK is on a 737-800 not too sure where you get a tablet is handed out.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by foredogg
Did not know that, so all 332s or Airbuses in general are legacy US fleet? So a better choice of aircraft with true MCE would be the 777s or 787s, maybe even 767 if it's a renovated one?
All the Airbus widebodies (the 332/333s, though I think they're dumping the 333s) are legacy US. There are some narrowbody Airbuses (321 and I think 319) that are legacy AA.

I think the best combination of comfort and technology would be the 777-200/300 in MCE. Still 3-3-3 with a reasonably wide seat. You *might* get an old 777-200 which is 2-5-2, doesn't have MCE, but does have some exit rows, and does have individual IFE and possibly power ports (easy enough to check).

As others have said with the 763, the interiors are old and bare-boned, but the seats, especially in the MCE mini-cabin are pretty good.

The 332s get favorable reviews, but limited MCE, and I think they only fly from PHL and CLT, which means a longer cross-country trip in a narrowbody. That said, maybe it's better to break up the flight that way since you're in coach. In First/Business you almost always want the international flight to be as long as you can get it.

So there are a lot of pros and cons to weigh!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ijgordon
All the Airbus widebodies (the 332/333s, though I think they're dumping the 333s) are legacy US. There are some narrowbody Airbuses (321 and I think 319) that are legacy AA.

I think the best combination of comfort and technology would be the 777-200/300 in MCE. Still 3-3-3 with a reasonably wide seat. You *might* get an old 777-200 which is 2-5-2, doesn't have MCE, but does have some exit rows, and does have individual IFE and possibly power ports (easy enough to check).

As others have said with the 763, the interiors are old and bare-boned, but the seats, especially in the MCE mini-cabin are pretty good.

The 332s get favorable reviews, but limited MCE, and I think they only fly from PHL and CLT, which means a longer cross-country trip in a narrowbody. That said, maybe it's better to break up the flight that way since you're in coach. In First/Business you almost always want the international flight to be as long as you can get it.

So there are a lot of pros and cons to weigh!
The 333 is retiring, the 332 not; thry are both LUS.

As this is really a general discussion about AA aircraft. We will now merge it into the active HELP DESK thread.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 30, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon

Unfortunately, most of the 777-200s are 3-4-3 in MCE, only the Hi-J 772s are 3-3-3.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:57 pm

Added the thread Free WiFi Streaming IFE on Personal Devices (with App) 08/2016, expansion to the Wikipost, as it is an indication that after the remaining 32B and 737-800 are delivered, beginning with the new 787 MAX 8 beginning to arrive later this year, AA will be providing onboard free streaming audio video on narrowbodies going forward.

For discussion, please use the thread linked to above.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 8, 2017 at 7:15 am
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:16 am

The 2017 Fleet Plan has been added by sensei here. It has a link in the Wikipost as well.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: BA GGL
LAX-LHR - which AA aircraft interiors have been recently updated?

Anyone know whether either AA135 or AA136 have been updated with a recent fit?

Departing Thursday LHR-LAX, returning Sunday LAX-LHR. Flying biz, it's a 3-cabin craft.

Heard somewhere that not all aircraft are of the same interior fit. Hoping someone who goes back and forth a lot might know the ins and outs.

Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Look for the 77W as opposed to 772. Those 772's have the "motion over the ocean" seats which are abysmal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.