Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Close to Platinum Pro - How close must I get? Any “grace”?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

I am lifetime platinum and after a long hiatus from regular business travel, I started making weekly trips again in the fall. I am close to making PP but will miss the PP EQM threshold by 656 miles. Is this close enough for them to give it to me? I recall AA doing this in the past but don't remember how much wiggle room there is. If it helps, my EQD spend will be close to $12k.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
They'll make you a one-sided offer. If it means something to you the most painless method will be a quick round trip, earning 500 miles each way.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
They'll make you a one-sided offer. If it means something to you the most painless method will be a quick round trip, earning 500 miles each way.
+1 I agree they will give you something ridiculous - if you dont have any EQD requirements for PP Pro, then I suggest doing a quick return flight
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

I really don't see a lot of advantage of PP over regular P. More bonus miles and better chance to upgrade. As such, I won't be making a milage run to achieve that status.

The emailed me an offer a couple weeks ago where I could pay ~$1800 to immediately get PP--no thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by chet
I am lifetime platinum and after a long hiatus from regular business travel, I started making weekly trips again in the fall. I am close to making PP but will miss the PP EQM threshold by 656 miles. Is this close enough for them to give it to me? I recall AA doing this in the past but don't remember how much wiggle room there is. If it helps, my EQD spend will be close to $12k.
I’m afraid that, as of two years ago, there is no wiggle room. You make it or you don’t - unless you buy it back. See your offer at https://elite.aa.com/.

See Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019.

See “Grace” (exception) if close to but missing Status EQM, EQS or EQD.
JLK100 and Often1 like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 23, 2018 at 12:59 pm
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I really don't see a lot of advantage of PP over regular P. More bonus miles and better chance to upgrade. As such, I won't be making a milage run to achieve that status.

The emailed me an offer a couple weeks ago where I could pay ~$1800 to immediately get PP--no thanks.
Comp upgrades as opposed to stickers would be one benefit. Confirmed same day flight change would be another.
Beachfun71, JLK100 and Often1 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Do a mileage run. I wouldn't expect AA to bump you up to PP for free that far short of the EQM requirement.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
I’m afraid that, as of two years ago, there is no wiggle room. You make it or you don’t - unless you buy it back. See your offer at https://elite.aa.com/.

See Buy Back and Boost / Buy Up Status for 2019.
Thanks for the response.

FYI: Your link is missing an "l" at the end--I added it above.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 23, 2018 at 1:00 pm Reason: Repair URL
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the response.

FYI: Your link is missing an "l" at the end--I added it above.
Thanks; I’ll fix that. Just recovering from cataract surgery. One down, one to go.

By the way, it was actually four years ago the grace policy changed, though iirc there was a temporary gap (maybe 2015 for 2016 Status year). The slack they used to cut:

Historically, the automatic exceptions were as follows:
  • 24,500 miles or points for Gold Status
  • 49,000 miles or points for Platinum Status
  • 99,000 miles or points for Executive Platinum Status
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Not saying it's owrth chasing, but the other benefits are willingness to rebook on another airline in case of IRROPS and no fee SDFC.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:29 pm

As mentioned, the SDFC is a huge benefit. Used it this weekend. Not needing stickers is big as well. I still have stickers I bought in anticipation of an upgrade not cleared. Not having to worry about that is a big enough deal.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
As mentioned, the SDFC is a huge benefit.
Highly debatable / variable based on flight patterns / routes....

In 4+ years of being EXP I've used SDFC precisely one time - the "must keep to the same route / connection points" is just too restrictive. I find it functionally useless as a benefit.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by bse118
Highly debatable / variable based on flight patterns / routes....

In 4+ years of being EXP I've used SDFC precisely one time - the "must keep to the same route / connection points" is just too restrictive. I find it functionally useless as a benefit.
YMMV on each of the perks of the program offers, not just this one. I benefit from the SDFC because I am in a hub. I usually only take non-stops. I also mentioned the upgrade benefits. Even though I am IN a hub, often flying hub-hub, I still get upgraded enough to consider it a valuable perk. Someone in a secondary market would find that to be of even higher value.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on where OP lives, there may be some dirt cheap round-trip he can fly in a morning, afternoon or evening. A "boost" is likely to run a significant amount more just because AA prices them that way. If time is tight, then look at your Boost offer and hopefully there is one and it's doable.

Whether something is "worth" it is a subjective judgment. Whether unlimited domestic UG's, SDFC, fee-free SDC and so on are worth it, depends on how and where you fly. Now that AA publishes its IRROPS rebooking policy, that may also matter.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Do the MR. Might get something reasonable on NYE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.