Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No meal choice left (LHR-DFW J)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:06 am

<redacted>

FA: "So sorry we don't have your meal choice. Please give it a try it and if you don't like it I will see what I can do." with a smile is all that is needed.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 24, 2018 at 8:35 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Only if the meals were catered evenly, which probably wasn’t the case.
That said, they probably don’t even over-cater by that much, and not really sure I’d expect them to in J.

It could have been a miscater, or it could have just as easily been that tail probability that very, very few people on board wanted seafood. I’m sure it happens from time to time

they said they overcatered by two
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
seafood boullabaise ?

did they actually indicate "seafood" -- that would be redundant

they sure did
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
seafood boullabaise
I think that's a useful description. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would have no idea what a boullabaise was. At least with the "seafood" descriptor, I'd have an idea.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
... From what I gathered, there were staff aboard and they were told that their choice was unavailable at that point.
Here's another idea: in addition to the meal order taking rules posted above, perhaps additionally they could make a point to take the passriders' orders last.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by aztimm
Exactly, one, "choice," doesn't sound right at all.

I was upgraded about 13 hours before a PVG-LAX flight a month ago, so it was way too late to pre-order. I have no idea what order they did (seemed from front to back). When they came to me (I was toward the back of biz), there was one option that wasn't available (something I wouldn't have gotten anyway), and there were still 3 others to select from.
One choice or no choice happened to me in June when I was upgraded at the gate flying from DFW to MAD. I was assigned a window seat in the last row of J (10L). By the time the flight attendant got to me, the last passenger to order, the only "choice" left was steak, which I avoid ordering on airplanes and, as expected, ended up way overcooked. I would have been much happier with the seafood option (prawns).

I got to drown my sorrow in Champagne, which was continuously replenished without my asking.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres, Global Entry
Firstly this was an AA flight, not sure why BA was mentioned above.

Does it not make sense to offer the entree choice to paying J/F customers first, (ie. those people who paid full or close to full fare $$$ for the seat they are sitting in, then offer to elite pax who have upgraded themselves with an instrument (miles/SWA et al), then offer to the pax who were upgraded at the last minute (not burning any instrument) and then finally offer to the non-rev pax sitting on a free ticket. This would be the fairest system in my opinion, thus optimizing the choice for the former category of traveller. I'm fortunate now to fly non-rev alot on AA worldwide (often in J sometimes in F, we love the A321 Sharklet Service ex LAX/SFO to JFK !). I find I am asked my meal choice later in the process after other pax had chosen theirs, don't mind at all if I get little to no choice ..

IrishBoy
AdvExecPlat

PS. Heading to Buenos Aires for the weekend .. Any tips?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IrishBoy
Firstly this was an AA flight, not sure why BA was mentioned above.

Does it not make sense to offer the entree choice to paying J/F customers first, (ie. those people who paid full or close to full fare $$$ for the seat they are sitting in, then offer to elite pax who have upgraded themselves with an instrument (miles/SWA et al), then offer to the pax who were upgraded at the last minute (not burning any instrument) and then finally offer to the non-rev pax sitting on a free ticket. This would be the fairest system in my opinion, thus optimizing the choice for the former category of traveller. I'm fortunate now to fly non-rev alot on AA worldwide (often in J sometimes in F, we love the A321 Sharklet Service ex LAX/SFO to JFK !). I find I am asked my meal choice later in the process after other pax had chosen theirs, don't mind at all if I get little to no choice ..
I disagree - on board, all customers should be treated equally - cannot see how it can be fairer than for all to be equal
Antarius and rumboj like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I disagree - on board, all customers should be treated equally - cannot see how it can be fairer than for all to be equal
Wouldn’t that require catering one of each entree for each pax?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Segments

My response was a reply to a post suggesting some priority being assigned to passengers and taking orders accordingly - nothing to do with whether there is enough catering to enable all passengers to have their choice of main course
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:01 pm

No, but it would require keeping the pre-order open until the catering is ordered from the local vendor. When upgraded as a gold, there was never the option to pre-order, that closes at T-24, about the same time as the upgrades often clear. Delaying until T-4 would seem more reasonable, and most of the upgrades would have been pre-ordered, reducing the over order required on the route. If you get to 80-90% pre-order, that leaves 4 unknowns in most domestic cabins, obviously more internationally. Is the food actually ordered 24 hours out? If not, depending on the problems of IT actually doing their job and getting the order automated from the pre-orders, it would seem that handing off the order to catering is really the cutoff point.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
My response was a reply to a post suggesting some priority being assigned to passengers and taking orders accordingly - nothing to do with whether there is enough catering to enable all passengers to have their choice of main course
Unless you allow pre-ordering until the door closes there will always be some priority assigned to passengers for taking orders. Might be seat location within the cabin (FEBO?) which is what appears to happen most of reported meal choice complaints.

So passengers are not treated equally based on seat location and pre-order cut off time in regards to meal orders. I can pay for First after T-24, so pre-order is closed, sit in the last row because I don’t like remaining bulkhead seats, and receive no choice of main because pax seating in rows ahead had their order taken first, including the last upgrade into the least desired seat.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:28 pm

Or are you suggesting the Flight Attendants use random number generators to determine the order to take orders?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:02 pm

Or are you suggesting the Flight Attendants use random number generators to determine the order to take orders?
I am assuming that reading the post to which the reply had been made has not been done.. It was suggested that orders should be taken in order

(1) full or close to full fare
(2) then offer to elite pax who have upgraded themselves with an instrument (miles/SWA et al
(3) offer to the non-rev pax sitting on a free ticket

This is something that I disagree with - prioritising customers once on board is not something which I agree with
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by autdi
No, but it would require keeping the pre-order open until the catering is ordered from the local vendor. When upgraded as a gold, there was never the option to pre-order, that closes at T-24, about the same time as the upgrades often clear. Delaying until T-4 would seem more reasonable, and most of the upgrades would have been pre-ordered, reducing the over order required on the route. If you get to 80-90% pre-order, that leaves 4 unknowns in most domestic cabins, obviously more internationally. Is the food actually ordered 24 hours out? If not, depending on the problems of IT actually doing their job and getting the order automated from the pre-orders, it would seem that handing off the order to catering is really the cutoff point.
I'm assuming the 24 hour cutoff is due to the supply chain and suppliers, not IT. Theres no way they could expect a catering company to crank out hundreds/thousands of meals at T4.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
My problem regarding AA food is that sometimes all the options on the menu contain cheese. But as long as the ice cream sundae is available, I will live!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.