Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

3 hours to transfer between IAD & DCA on "legal" ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 hours to transfer between IAD & DCA on "legal" ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:56 pm

I keep hoping the PHL will open up, but as of now no. BOS yes, but per EF, it looks like QR has temporarily changed the A359 they were flying on that route to one of their old-style 777-300's (2-2-2 config, etc) on the BOS flight in Feburary (which is when I'm going), before switching to QSuites in the Spring. I don't need a QSuite but I'd at least like to get direct aisle access for that long flight to Doha!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
1) 3 hrs will be very tight but doable. Are there any earlier options from NYC-DCA you could take? I'm assuming the EY check in cutoff is 60 mins before the flight, so you're basically allowing 2 hrs to land at DCA, claim your bags, and make your way to IAD.

2) Yes, you will be protected if there were to be delays or other irrops.

3) Not sure on the bags, however in any event you should be able to have it only tagged to DCA since that portion of your trip ends there.

4) Really depends on how risk averse you are. I generally have a very high risk tolerance for this type of thing, but for a dream trip to the Maldives I would probably find an earlier AA flight to DCA or just book a separate ticket to IAD allowing plenty of time before your EY flight.
Thank you so much for this info!

I keep hoping the PHL will open up, but as of now no. BOS yes, but per EF, it looks like QR has temporarily changed the A359 they were flying on that route to one of their old-style 777-300's (2-2-2 config, etc) on the BOS flight in Feburary (which is when I'm going), before switching to QSuites in the Spring. I don't need a QSuite but I'd at least like to get direct aisle access for that long flight to Doha!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The bag will be tagged to DCA. AA doesn't do cross-town transfers of bags. That means you'll need time to recheck at IAD.

I would look at every other option before I did DCA-ground-IAD.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
There was a thread here about two weeks ago about a family that had 3 hours to connect from IAD (arriving on BA from LHR) to DCA (flying AA to MCO). The family did not have Global Entry and were not U.S. citizens. They made it in ample time - although it was a Saturday (Saturday before Christmas).

You're kind of doing the reverse, but you do not have to worry about Customs. You do however have to worry about baggage and traffic to IAD.

Your option is Shuttle from LGA to DCA which frequently is not a baggage heavy flight. You then have to get to IAD. You don't say what day of the week this is. If its a weekday, there is going to be traffic at 7:00 on I-66 - at least until the Dulles Toll Road (I'm assuming 30 minutes from deplaning to being out of the airport). I'm going to say 45 minutes from DCA to Dulles which puts you into Dulles at 7:45.

It should be enough, but its going to be tight especially if your DCA-LGA flight is late.

AA will NOT through check you bags. You must claim them at DCA and recheck them with AY at IAD.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The bag will be tagged to DCA. AA doesn't do cross-town transfers of bags. That means you'll need time to recheck at IAD.

I would look at every other option before I did DCA-ground-IAD.
Appreciate the advice!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
This is quite doable.
With any connection, you have to decide what your tolerance is for risk of delay. Assume a one hour Uber from one to the other and $50.

If your flight is <30 minutes late, this should be comfortable. If you're more than 30m late, it will start to get tight. Only you can decide if you're willing to risk a 24 hour delay at IAD.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by DWFI
This is quite doable.
With any connection, you have to decide what your tolerance is for risk of delay. Assume a one hour Uber from one to the other and $50.

If your flight is <30 minutes late, this should be comfortable. If you're more than 30m late, it will start to get tight. Only you can decide if you're willing to risk a 24 hour delay at IAD.
Agree fully. There's actually a dedicated 'express' lane from the DC beltway to IAD so unless there is a significant delay there should be no issue.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Agree fully. There's actually a dedicated 'express' lane from the DC beltway to IAD so unless there is a significant delay there should be no issue.
Its true that there is a dedicated lane starting at or near the Beltway. The problem is getting to that lane. I-66 backs up -frequently- from Rosslyn to Falls Church. This can be 20 minutes to go about 5 miles. Once past Falls Church, you're usually in the clear.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Three hours is within MCT for a DCA-IAD connection, but significantly outside the SCT (Sensible Connection Time). On the one hand, AA runs LGA-DCA as an hourly shuttle service. On the other hand, it is likely that a misconnect will mean a 24-hour delay or a bad routing xIAD. I would be much more comfortable with 4 hours and, even though you may not care about lounge access, you will have it and thus if you do make it in good time, you do have a place to relax.

On specifics, traffic at that time of day will be horrible in general. Add an accident or a bit of bad weather and it can become really bad. From DCA, you won't likely be on the Beltway, so getting to the so-called dedicated lanes can be a real hassle. Your bags will be checked to DCA, you will claim them at DCA and will be responsible for them until checked in at IAD.

Buying a separate ticket NYC-IAD comes with its own set of risks. That transfer won't be protected and if you are delayed, you will be at the mercy of EY which is not known for mercy. Whether that means buying a new ticket or perhaps a downgrade all depends, but it will be unpleasant and not worth it.

You may already have checked, but have you looked at connections to AUH on AA to any European gateway served by EY (BA as well for LHR, but surcharges can be brutal)?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
There was just a thread about doing the reverse a few weeks ago:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...al-ticket.html

We'll probably merge these 2 threads together.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:55 pm

With hourly service between LGA and DCA, why not just buy the ticket as offered and standby for an hourly flight. The 5:00 pm LGA departure is a prime business hour flight. I'd bet the agents at LGA would move you up to the 3:00 pm or 4:00 pm to free up seats on the 5:00 pm.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
With hourly service between LGA and DCA, why not just buy the ticket as offered and standby for an hourly flight.
Why not just see if AA will ticket an earlier LGA-DCA flight? One has 24 hours for the international connection without triggering a break in fare.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Three hours is within MCT for a DCA-IAD connection, but significantly outside the SCT (Sensible Connection Time). On the one hand, AA runs LGA-DCA as an hourly shuttle service. On the other hand, it is likely that a misconnect will mean a 24-hour delay or a bad routing xIAD. I would be much more comfortable with 4 hours and, even though you may not care about lounge access, you will have it and thus if you do make it in good time, you do have a place to relax.

On specifics, traffic at that time of day will be horrible in general. Add an accident or a bit of bad weather and it can become really bad. From DCA, you won't likely be on the Beltway, so getting to the so-called dedicated lanes can be a real hassle. Your bags will be checked to DCA, you will claim them at DCA and will be responsible for them until checked in at IAD.

Buying a separate ticket NYC-IAD comes with its own set of risks. That transfer won't be protected and if you are delayed, you will be at the mercy of EY which is not known for mercy. Whether that means buying a new ticket or perhaps a downgrade all depends, but it will be unpleasant and not worth it.

You may already have checked, but have you looked at connections to AUH on AA to any European gateway served by EY (BA as well for LHR, but surcharges can be brutal)?
Thanks very much for this. I thought about changing in Europe, but that would more than likely result in two consecutive redeye flights, which sounds exhausting even in Business.

My day of departure (Thursday) is a work day for me, so I was hoping to maximize my time in the office that day, but based on the advice of yourself and others I guess the latest departure I should take if I go this route would be the 4 PM. However it's still sufficiently nerve-wracking that I'm going to continue to explore other options.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Its true that there is a dedicated lane starting at or near the Beltway. The problem is getting to that lane. I-66 backs up -frequently- from Rosslyn to Falls Church. This can be 20 minutes to go about 5 miles. Once past Falls Church, you're usually in the clear.
Great to know, thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
A lot depends on time of day. From DCA to IAD the normal route is the GW parkway north to I-66, then to the Dulles access road.

I-66 is HOV only from 4:30 to 6:30 (maybe it's 4:00) - totally HOV, not just HOV lane. Because of the Dulles access road, they can't ticket until you get past the turnoff, meaning that people start to get on around 6:20. So if you hit I-66 before 6:15 you're in the clear; by 6:30 it's a parking lot all the way to the Dulles cutoff. The Dulles access road however will be smooth sailing. It can only be used by vehicles going to IAD (there are no exits until the airport).

I'm writing this at 6:40PM on a weekday and Google Maps shows that DCA to IAD is 29 miles and 33 minutes,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.