Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
64 hours in the sky
5.5 times around the world
5 destinations visited
Top 7 % of EXP
146,673 bonus miles from elite status

Of course the destinations are all wrong.. been to DC once, yet it listed as visited often
qualified in July 1st is right
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Notwithstanding a few flights left before year-end:

164,997 EQMs, 27,702 EQDs, and 138 segments.

- 243 hours
- 4.5 times around the world (I mostly fly along the east coast, some mid-cons, a few trans-cons, and had four long-haul trips this year)
- 20 destinations visited (seemed light)
- Boston, Tampa and NY were the top three (Boston is my home base)
- LAX-HND was my longest flight
- 737 was my most frequented aircraft, although I feel like I’ve been on the A321 more often (probably because it’s so stripped down)
- Top 23% of EXP based on miles
- 164k bonus miles
- 90+ upgrades - I don’t have my spreadsheet in front of me, but my success percentage on eligible flights is ~93%
- 375k miles redeemed (and four SWUs)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:46 am

I did not receive the Year in Review email. I am CK - are there other CKs that did not receive the email? I checked spam folder - nothing.

I think I can calculate my miles flown by subtracting million miler total from last year from my current total because I believe they only count BIS miles now. 206,853.

allset2travel and E55 like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I wonder if AA can figure out who individual posters are when we post this info?
They already know because they have your Facebook data.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by potus18

I reported it to AA as soon as I got the original email yesterday and they said they were going to forward it to AAdvantage.

I got an email from their Chief Privacy Officer this afternoon, seemingly sent to all members who clicked the share link, and just received a call to notify me that they inadvertently shared private information and that corporate security is going to monitor my account for fraudulent activity as a result. Seems they’ve resolved the issue and are taking it seriously.
It's good that they responded, however, we hope the hackers were snoozing.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Aegean (Gold) American (EP)
Here's mine to add to the graph:

202 hours in the sky
6.5 times flown around the world
22 destinations visited
San Francisco (home), New York (2nd office), Fukuoka most visited destinations (only went to FUK once)
San Francisco - Melbourne (7,855 miles) furthest flight taken
Airbus A321 type of aircraft most flown
May 21 EP earned
Top 4% rank among Executive Platinum members (based on miles flown)
10+ upgrades received
$800 checked bag savings

For reference, I am currently EP, and will have EP next year. Here are my ytd numbers with two flights remaining:
$78.5 EQD
315K EQM
84 EQS
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Fanger, you're really crushing it in this thread. Awesome stuff. Couple comments...

Originally Posted by fanger
1. When I initially got the email and checked this thread, it was clear to me that some effort was made not to have every email be identical in format. For instance, my email didn't have anything about trips to the sun.
2. Thus when I saw that not all the emails were quoting Top % of Explat (or other status), I did not take that to mean that those individuals did not rank highly in percentile terms- several clearly had flown more than me at Top 25% and 3x RTW.
Yes, definitely agree! A lack of data is just a lack of data, and making assumptions about why it's missing is likely to lead us astray.

3. I have been assuming that the RTW number contains partner flights credited to AA and is a proxy for BIS.
Maybe. I think it's possible that partner flights either aren't represented or are poorly represented, and that could account for some of the outliers. This also might not be uniform...it's easy to imagine a situation where Iberia credits right but Finnair shows up by EQM or not at all. We don't appear to have enough information about everybody's partner flying to really say what's happening there.

5. I have lumped in the CK numbers with Explat, as all CK are explat, but not sure if that is screwing anything up.
The wording on the emails doesn't seem to agree with that...if the few CKs who have posted were accurate, they said x% of CKs in their emails, not x% of EXP. If the CKs are showing up as the outliers I'd say it's definitely screwing things up. If they're right on the curve where we expect them to be, then I guess they aren't

New hypothesis with respect to outliers: the outliers are for current Explat members who had not yet requalified for Explat 2019-Jan 31 2020. I.e. the reported top% is based on current BIS for projected 2019 status based only on EQM/EQD the day of email. So current ExPlat only requalified for Plat or Plat pro based on Dec 21 EQD/EQM have their Top% calculated based on that tier, screwing up the chart. Can anyone confirm or deny?

See Tbone14's post... he hasn't quite requalified yet, but will, and he is an outlier.
Yes, this clearly explains at least some of the outliers; nice catch. I don't know whether it explains all of them however. It would be hard to know (unless of course every outlier in your table replied and confirmed they hadn't requalled yet), but having established one bug in AA's data handling, I don't see any reason to assume it's the only one. Like I said above I could also see partner flight handling as an area likely to cause problems. I'd also think IRROPs, SWU-reticketing, AAVacations, and anything else that tends to cause weird EQM/EQD posting might factor in.

Not that it really matters of course. Whether the reasons are just one bug or many, the outliers are clearly in error. And ignoring them, the curve is just really obvious.

One other note: did you see ryanbriar's post with 4.5RW/23% above? That's interesting...not sure if it's just more outlier data, or whether things dramatically flatten out below 4.5; of course depending on how they're rounding you guys could be as close as .5RW.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:41 pm

Location: DFW - AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt - PLT, Hertz Prez
125 Hours in the sky
4.5 Times flown around the world*
8 Destinations visited
Rank among Executive Platinum members (based on miles flown)* -Top 22%

Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Updated Chart

I added a * to the names to mark CK members. I do understand the current distinction between CK and EXP but had made the assumption that statistics queries for CK would have remained within the EXP category. I realize this assumption isn't justified, but the results don't contradict it yet.

Of the 5 outliers, 3 have confirmed that they had not yet requalified for 2019 EXP (tjcxx, phazeowt, tbone14) 2 have not said (Lavezzi and bpauker). Perhaps they are using the same database query as they use for the buy-up emails, which clearly neglect planned/booked travel.

A couple of people mentioned their percentile ranking and EQM, but not the # times ROW.

Leaving aside the outliers, the observed distribution doesn't seem implausible to me. There's only so much a large population of frequent fliers can fly, and a long tail of very frequent long-haul fliers is expected I think. Especially in a binned distribution as with the RTW metric I could expect a steep drop off over one or two bins.
socalduck and HLCinCOU like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
I added a * to the names to mark CK members. I do understand the current distinction between CK and EXP but had made the assumption that statistics queries for CK would have remained within the EXP category. I realize this assumption isn't justified, but the results don't contradict it yet.

Of the 5 outliers, 3 have confirmed that they had not yet requalified for 2019 EXP (tjcxx, phazeowt, tbone14) 2 have not said (Lavezzi and bpauker). Perhaps they are using the same database query as they use for the buy-up emails, which clearly neglect planned/booked travel.

A couple of people mentioned their percentile ranking and EQM, but not the # times ROW.

Leaving aside the outliers, the observed distribution doesn't seem implausible to me. There's only so much a large population of frequent fliers can fly, and a long tail of very frequent long-haul fliers is expected I think. Especially in a binned distribution as with the RTW metric I could expect a steep drop off over one or two bins.
you rock for making this and keeping it updated!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP

FWIW, the small-print on the email says:

All data includes activity posted through December 12, 2018.
So future travel was not included, nor was travel between December 12th and the date the email was sent.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by phazedowt

you rock for making this and keeping it updated!
Agreed, unbelievable.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
For 2018:
  • 110 hours
  • 2x around the world
  • 10 destinations visited
  • longest flight CDG - ORD
  • Most visited RDU (home airport), LHR, LAX
  • $150 in checked bag savings, but as I rarely check a bag, this seems suspect
It did not include my rank with EXP in terms of miles flown, so likely in the bottom half.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
CK data

264 hrs
5.5 x around the world
15 destinations
LAX - LHR longest hope (5457 miles)
A321 most common aircraft flown
Top 7% of CK
313k miles from elite status
695k award miles w/o flying
20+ upgrades received
$720 in saved bag fees
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
I would go further and say their position pretty much confirms your original assumption that they are lumped into the EXP percentiles. They're right on the curve.

Agree completely. This is pretty much exactly the distribution we should expect, at least in the 4.5+RW range. I remain very curious what it looks like in the 3-4.5RW range where we have no data. It's either really flat there or you yourself are a bit of an outlier. My prior would be to expect it to flatten out as we got into the fat part of the distribution, but I wouldn't have guessed that much.

Anyway, great work, glad you've kept going with this ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.