Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Strategy for a Zeroed out flight (all classes) knowing one pax won't fly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold

I am curious what everyone would do. I have an economy ticket on AA 68 this Saturday - MIA-MAD (connecting to IB) - I also have a ticket for my son who will not be flying. Everyone in his class was getting the flu and the teacher recommended not sending him in - so the young man ended up flying with his mom yesterday on LH

The ticket was insanely cheap (discounted but booked into M), I am perfectly fine losing the value of his ticket.

We are currently both waitlisted using SWUs. While that was a total long shot, it only takes a decent weather event and people missing a connection in MIA and something opens up - highly unlikely - but why not be on the upgrade list.

Now I am unsure what to do.

here are thoughts:

Call AA, break NPR, cancel his flight. Now I would be only one seat on the upgrade list slightly increasing odds - it would also give someone else a chance to buy the seat (his Y seat)

Not do anything, just check in myself on Saturday - given that he is not checked it, he shouldn't make the standby upgrade list - and I think the risk of both of us getting upgraded early is tiny - though of course not impossible. This might somewhat improve the odds of the seat next to me staying empty... Maybe not - who knows (his is now an MCE middle seat)

Check both of us in - he becomes a no-show. Possibly best odds of seat staying empty - though at this time of year there are probably some stand bys anyhow (right now, flight is J0 W0 Y0)

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the flight at J0 W0 Y0 the odds of the seat remaining empty are very small.
The odds of an upgrade clearing in advance are close to zero, so there's also really no need to separate the record, although there's probably no harm in doing that either.
So I probably would check him in and have him no-show (slightly increasing the odds the seat remains empty), but at the airport, I think you can tell the gate agent that you'll take one J seat if it becomes available. You can tell them at that point to split the record if they need to, and I guess you can volunteer that your son won't be making the flight.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:01 am

Break NPR, check both in, then no-show.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
He is 8 years old, I don't think I can break the record and then check him in alone based on age? Can I?

J0, W0, Y2 now
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I would call AA and split the PNR, and then not check him in. I don't see much value in retaining his ticket. If the ticket is so cheap that there will be no residual value after the change fee, then there's no reason to cancel it. But the theory that somehow checking him in and then no-showing will increase the odds of an empty seat just seems wild. If the flight is zeroed out it is probably overbooked and even if not, that seat will be taken by a NRSA traveler.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
doubt it..
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:01 am

Th seat wont stay empty. Best to split and cancel so you make it a bit easier for AA to get the flight out on time.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
One side benefit for not cancelling is if the flights goes IRROP you have better chance at getting his ticket refunded.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:39 pm

You can also split the record and ask them to unrequest the SWU for your sons ticket.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
One side benefit for not cancelling is if the flights goes IRROP you have better chance at getting his ticket refunded.
bingo. Always wait until the last minute. If there is any type of delay, you can likely get a refund.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
You can also split the record and ask them to unrequest the SWU for your sons ticket.
Can he? Based on kids age (8), he cannot fly alone without UM fees. And I THINK AA does not allow the adult companion to be in a different cabin.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

I paid $239 for the ticket - including fees/taxes. - Sure, it's money.

I'll probably just cancel his - looks like my wife forgot too many things and I'll have to bring a bag - they'd ask me where he is when dropping off the bag and I don't want to just lie
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Can he? Based on kids age (8), he cannot fly alone without UM fees. And I THINK AA does not allow the adult companion to be in a different cabin.
I’ve done it before so either the system doesn’t automatically detect or it can be overridden. Actually had an infant under 2 separated into a different record locator before.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
You're overcomplicating a very simple situation and potentially preventing someone from getting home for Christmas.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reeg2
You're overcomplicating a very simple situation and potentially preventing someone from getting home for Christmas.
They should have bought their ticket earlier.
lowmiles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.