Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

19 years of EXP , had surgery this year and AA will not grant me an extension

19 years of EXP , had surgery this year and AA will not grant me an extension

Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I suggest you hunt down Doug Parker's Email.

I had various issues a few years ago and sent him an Email, I doubt if he read my Email but he has a staff of people that are very much about customer loyalty and they respond within a day.

If you know anything about IT, you should be able to figure out his Email. Good luck

I have 3 million miles, I retired last year and did not meet EXP this year and miss the perks now being a lowly Platinum.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
If they granted an exception they would have to do so for everyone and then set what the terms would be.
Why would that be the case? Granting a one-off exemption, on a discretionary non-public basis, would not obligate them to do the same for someone else in a similar position. They can do whatever they want, so long as they don't violate published rules. Look at the CK invitation thread - AA may have internal guidelines, but the third parties (such as FT readers) it can look like they are treating similar people in different ways.
JDiver, JonNYC and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
I am so very sorry that life had gotten in the way this year! Send a letter to Doug. The same happened to me at UA after 30 yrs as top elite. They told me to get lost, too bad so sad so I walked. I kept getting lets make up emails and had to finally tell their legal to quit harassing me.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
With the large players don't to low single digits, it's foolish to expect our loyalty to mean anything.
With OP being DFW-based, unless WN's limited options from DAL make sense (and you live close to DAL), you're flying AA if you value your time.

If I were OP, I'd not be asking for an exception, but I'd be asking for a buy-up opportunity even if the EQM's shouldn't deserve it.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by jsintexas

I have 3 million miles, I retired last year and did not meet EXP this year and miss the perks now being a lowly Platinum.
I am not retired but travel a lot less than i used to- and I have settled comfortably into the LT Platinum space. Ironically i hit the $12k spend this year but only had ~30k EQM.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by pmblinn
I seem to be in the minority, but I don't agree with the notion of granting exemptions based on some kind of perceived, accrued loyalty. It's a slippery slope from the company's perspective. (Especially when the OP admits they are only at 50% of the EQM threshold!). OP can get back on the AA horse in 2019 and try to qualify for status in 2020, or take their loyalty--with a fresh start--elsewhere.
Agreed. Surely after 19 years at EXP the OP has some kind of lifetime status to tide him over until he can re-qualify. I have no problem with AA reserving the benefits of status for people who actually fly the required amount.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
In 2013, before the merger while I was a US Air loyalist, I was in a car accident in Rome, Italy and after a long hospitalization needed to return to the US with a full leg open cast. I had an Economy Ticket and they put me in Business Class for the return flight and after a long convalescence I returned to work. I didn’t make my former Chairman Preferred status but they gave me the status the following year.

Maybe reach out to Doug Parker beacause back in his US Airways days, they did these nice things. It’s worth another try.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:02 am

This emotional attachment and entitlement to a FFP is rather disturbing.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do miss the soft landings as well. Maybe they compromise and bump OP back up to PPro.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
<redacted> He is not asking about 5-10k EQM deficit, he is asking for 50% (or maybe more since we dont know the full story).

While AA is wrong and should give you an opportunity to pay up to get EXP I would think that amount they will ask will be above $10k. From what I've seen when you're short 10k miles they ask for a few thousand dollars and OP is missing ~50k.

OP is wrong because he feels that completing 1/2 of the requirements for EXP qualification gives him the right to qualify just because he is a member of FFP for 19 years. If you're a subscriber to cable company for 19 years and you pay them $100/month for certain package - do you think that call them and tell them that as a loyal customer you deserve to get the same cable package but now you can only pay $50/month. If you have season tickets to certain team for 19 years and you continue paying $10,000 per year for them - do you think if you reach out to team and tell them that you had surgery and had to take some time off from work and because of that all you can afford for 2019 season is $5000. Do you think the team will eat $5000 or will they just sell your tickets to someone that is capable of paying $10,000.
USFlyerUS likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 19, 2018 at 1:01 pm Reason: Redacted negative characterization against rules
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There are numerous hotel chains catering to the business traveler in the US. There's essentially 5-6 airlines, 3 of which have a material International presence. Unfortunately CK is the new EXP in such a new world. Again AA might be reasonable with an EXP challenge. At worst the OP remains PLT for 2-3 months during the challenge period. The world won't end.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by richarddd
Why would that be the case? Granting a one-off exemption, on a discretionary non-public basis, would not obligate them to do the same for someone else in a similar position. They can do whatever they want, so long as they don't violate published rules. Look at the CK invitation thread - AA may have internal guidelines, but the third parties (such as FT readers) it can look like they are treating similar people in different ways.
I disagree with the premise and with the likely outcome.

AA should have a fair trading approach to its dealings with its customers. Meek people who would not even remotely think of asking should not be treated differently than someone ready to mount a massive social media campaign over a status.

I also no longer believe in the concept of "non public" Once upon a time, all kinds of things likely got taken care of. Today, just look at FT and ask yourself what the thread would look like if someone here had OP's rough situation and got his EXP last week? I am not suggesting that OP has any malicious intent in this regard, but one certainly can't presume that there aren't a lot of people out there who do.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by caburrito
This emotional attachment and entitlement to a FFP is rather disturbing.
Let me introduce you to www.flyertalk.com
DenverBrian, wrp96, Often1 and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:51 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer
If you're a subscriber to cable company for 19 years and you pay them $100/month for certain package - do you think that call them and tell them that as a loyal customer you deserve to get the same cable package but now you can only pay $50/month. If you have season tickets to certain team for 19 years and you continue paying $10,000 per year for them - do you think if you reach out to team and tell them that you had surgery and had to take some time off from work and because of that all you can afford for 2019 season is $5000. Do you think the team will eat $5000 or will they just sell your tickets to someone that is capable of paying $10,000.
With all due respect, those examples are not even close to OP's situation.

Fly a lot in 2017, the resulting perk is EXP status in 2018. If you do not fly at all in 2018, you are effectively not getting the perk you earned. That is why some airlines (and hotels) accept to move your perk from 2018 to 2019 if you are not travelling in 2018 especially if it's a medical reason and you will resume being a frequent customer after that. They are not giving you more benefits, they are simply shifting what you earned by one year.

For cable TV, if for some reason I am going away for an entire year, I will stop paying and I won't get the service during that year. When I come back, I resume paying, and the service resumes too. As it should be. Different timing than for airline status.

For season tickets, if you have surgery after buying your tickets, you will have no problem selling them to someone else for that year. Then renew the next year and attend games.

Bottom line, if I was the sole decision maker at AA, I would give OP status. I think I earn more goodwill by doing so, which benefits AA in the long run. Unfortunately I do not call the shots!
wimvlb, Often1, donotblink and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Fine Art Landscape Photographer
If you're a subscriber to cable company for 19 years and you pay them $100/month for certain package - do you think that call them and tell them that as a loyal customer you deserve to get the same cable package but now you can only pay $50/month.
Yes, if you are smart that's exactly what you should do with internet, cable and cell phones. They will bend the cost for long term customers due to the high cost of acquisition. I have not paid "retail" for cable TV for a decade.
lowmiles likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.