Wiki Posts
Search

Buy AA miles for 120,000 bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Buy AA miles for 120,000 bonus?

Until Jan 6 AA is offering 150,000 + 120,000 miles for $4366. That's the best deal we've seen in a long time. Good idea to buy miles? I could really use some.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Swadian
Until Jan 6 AA is offering 150,000 + 120,000 miles for $4366. That's the best deal we've seen in a long time. Good idea to buy miles? I could really use some.
If you have a specific use for them in the near future, on flight(s) where you know there's availability, sure. I wouldn't buy them just to bank them, though, since the award charts can be inflated at any time.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I pondered the 150k+100k this summer. It easily buys two J class tickets anywhere (I priced out JNB and MLE on QR, each coming out around 280k. It'd be more twice the price if paying cash. So yeah, if you have the money I think it's a good deal.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Swadian
May i offer you a 10% discount?

Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
It really depends on what you plan to use the miles for. From my home base (DFW) Business SAAver awards to Europe do not exist on AA metal, and while there is availability on BA, those awards have substantial surcharges. If you can find SAAver availability for the destination(s) you want in your desired class of service, it could be a good deal. It would also be a good idea to look at he routing. Some SAAver awards route me through two airports to get from DFW to anywhere on the East Coast.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:41 pm

D

As miles
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:42 pm

Aa miles

As miles
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: CK or bust
Speculatively purchasing AA miles is generally not a good deal.

The real exception is when you find availability for the routes/dates you need as they post very quickly.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I find it hard to find saver awards in J without ridiculous layovers on AA metal. I am deciding between spending $599 for lax-jfk one way in J or 55k Miles one way so domesticacly barely more than a penny a mile.

if you see a fight available that you want to book right away, then yes. Otherwise, your valuation seems high.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I'm pretty sure this would be a very popular purchase if it counted against the annual EQD requirement. From a twisted logic perspective, the purchased miles are most likely going to be used for flights eventually..
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by beachfan
I find it hard to find saver awards in J without ridiculous layovers on AA metal. I am deciding between spending $599 for lax-jfk one way in J or 55k Miles one way so domesticacly barely more than a penny a mile.

if you see a fight available that you want to book right away, then yes. Otherwise, your valuation seems high.
Don't forget to factor in the miles you would get from the purchased fare too, as EXP that's around 5k miles.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
You say you could really use them -- for what? And do you have any Advantage Elite status? For example some of the better value for mileage redemption is last minute booking, but if I wasn't Gold it would have cost me a $75 booking fee which offsets that value.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by Gig103
You say you could really use them -- for what? And do you have any Advantage Elite status? For example some of the better value for mileage redemption is last minute booking, but if I wasn't Gold it would have cost me a $75 booking fee which offsets that value.
There is no booking fee if booking flights more than 3 weeks in advance, if looking at international J, that's about the only time you will find availability on partners.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Phasers
Don't forget to factor in the miles you would get from the purchased fare too, as EXP that's around 5k miles.
it’s the eqm and EQD that matter on my ticket. The miles decision is for my wife’s ticket. The RDM are not a factor for me in this decision. I’m also thinking if blowing off AA and going B6 mint.
JMN57 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
The only time I buy AA miles is if I’ve found space in international business class at SAAver level and have those flights on hold and need to top off. I don’t place much value in domestic award travel but YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.