Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11 miles short of Platinum (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

11 miles short of Platinum (to merge)

Any idea if that will be a free waive to Platinum or will I have to pay $50, $100 or more to buy up? I haven't done the last segment yet so I can't go to the website to check price or call in to ask if they'll do it free.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by DCAAA
Any idea if that will be a free waive to Platinum or will I have to pay $50, $100 or more to buy up? I haven't done the last segment yet so I can't go to the website to check price or call in to ask if they'll do it free.
Assuming you met EQD, I'd just do a short DCA-PHL/NYC mileage run. (assuming DCA)
Highly unlikely the buy up option will be that low, did you log in to check?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
elite.aa.com to see your options..

DCA-CHS-DCA for $188 on 12/31...
JDiver and enpremiere like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Either find the cheapest round-trip from WAS that fits your schedule or choose a place you actually want to go and have some fun as well. Don't leave this until the last minute as bad weather or anything else can push a trip.

It's always worth checking to see if or what your elite offer is, but it's rarely less than a cheap ticket. On the other hand, you don't have to spend the time flying.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
In my experience don’t believe you will get a waiver offer. I was once 16 miles short of EXP with no waiver offer just a buy up which seemed ridiculous at the time but I can’t recall now how much it was. I ended up doing a mileage run from SAN-LAX to take me over the top.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
You should also consider upfaring your last segment. If a discounted F fare is available, it might not be too expensive and it would earn twice as many EQM. It could be substantially cheaper than the buy up they will offer you.
HiAperture, adunker and AA100k like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 3:22 pm
J S

A long time ago (IIRC--which I may not)...there was a built-in bit of flexibility. I believe it was ~500 miles for PLT and 250 miles for GLD (i.e., the real requirements were 24,750 and 49,500 miles). I have no idea if AA still has a bit of flexibility or how they would treat a request, but denying you PLT for want of 11 miles would strike me a petty in the extreme.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
​​​​​I believe the “really close” provision is pretty much dead. Maybe a high spend PLT multiple years in a row .
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
​​​​​I believe the “really close” provision is pretty much dead. Maybe a high spend PLT multiple years in a row .
No reason to any longer. AA has an algorithm to calculate an offer if it's warranted. Would make little sense to cannibalize that program by giving it away.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I can pretty certainly tell you the answer is no. Prior to my last trip I had a buy-up offer to PP for $1345. After that trip I was over on EQM and 11 EQD short. My offer went down to $349. It didn't matter since I had credit card EQD's yet to post. Point is, I was just as close as you were and they wanted $349.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.