Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

why does AA use older recliner seat aircraft for near South America?

why does AA use older recliner seat aircraft for near South America?

Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

why does AA use older aircrafts for miami-guayaquil?

for one of the flights from miami-guayaquil, the business class seats were not lie-flat, even though its about a 4 and a half hour flight.

AA 933 is the flight we took in july, and it was not lie flat, but a few years ago we took AA 927, which arrives into GYE a little later, but I believe they were lie flat. Any reason as to the equipment difference?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 19, 2019 at 10:54 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael1023
Why does AA use older aircrafts for Miami-Guayaquil?

For one of the flights from Miami-Guayaquil, the business class seats were not lie-flat, even though its about a 4 and a half hour flight.

AA 933 is the flight we took in July, and it was not lie flat, but a few years ago we took AA 927, which arrives into GYE a little later, but I believe they were lie flat. Any reason as to the equipment difference?
Older aircraft need to be used some where. As a wild guess MIA GYE is not a busy premium route with many paying first class pax. May carry of a lot of (perishable?) freight.

Great Circle Mapper
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guayaquil
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Because they can. It's not like it is a premium route like JFK-ZRH....nevermind.
jerryss, SFO777, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Just be happy that those flights haven't been MAX'd or Oasized... yet.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Just be happy that those flights haven't been MAX'd or Oasized... yet.
max’d? You mean to be thankful they exist?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no mystery. AA has made it clear in investor calls that it allocates its newer and otherwise better aircraft to its more profitable routes.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:40 pm

4.5 hours is not a long flight. AA frequently runs planes without lieflats on 6+ hour flights. The flight in question is a daytime flight in both directions, so there isn’t much need for it to have lie-flats, anyway.

I’m afraid your expectations are a little out of whack with reality. You should be happy that there’s enough demand to even warrant the 1 widebody flight on such a short route.

Inciidentally, the 737 used on the daytime flight are fairly young. At 8.5 years, it’s the youngest type after the 787 and A321. The 767s run on the later flight are definitely ancient, though. (But do have lie flat seats.)
bosman, reeg2 and michael1023 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
A lot of TCons are longer and don't have lie flats.
bosman likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:46 pm

max’d? You mean to be thankful they exist?
No, he means you should be thankful that they haven’t put the (New) 737 MAX on the route like they did with UIO and BRA, among others.

Newer is not always better.
deeruck, wrp96, AANYC1981 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
A lot of TCons are longer and don't have lie flats.
All tcons should be the 321T
Drunkmuppet likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
for one of the flights from miami-guayaquil, the business class seats were not lie-flat, even though its about a 4 and a half hour flight.

AA 933 is the flight we took in july, and it was not lie flat, but a few years ago we took AA 927, which arrives into GYE a little later, but I believe they were lie flat. Any reason as to the equipment difference?
4 1/2 in a seat that doesn't lie flat.... how did you ever manage?
ijgordon, bosman and michael1023 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just be happy to have the 767 while it lasts. MIA-UIO has already gone from 757 to 737 MAX and I'm sure MIA-GYE will be up next. Fortunately for South Florida traveler B6 has entered FLL-UIO and soon will enter FLL-GYE.
TXguy likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by mvoight
4 1/2 in a seat that doesn't lie flat.... how did you ever manage?
The bigger question is how the ticket was priced. I can fly TCON in a 'recliner' for less than a lay-flat business seat. If this was a case where the flight was very expensive and still not lay-flat, I would understand the frustration.

Of course, OP should also be warned about business class on a BA connection inside Europe - that "business class" was a shocker for me the first time I got on board!
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
All tcons should be the 321T
I fly out of PHl to the west coast. Not a TCon, I suppose, but at over 5 hours it's longer than the OPs route. A321 (No lie flats), not 321t. Sometimes A330 (lie flats). Either way, boo hoo.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I fly out of PHl to the west coast. Not a TCon, I suppose, but at over 5 hours it's longer than the OPs route. A321 (No lie flats), not 321t. Sometimes A330 (lie flats). Either way, boo hoo.
1. no you don't
2. even if you did, it would be intercontinental not tcon
3. either way, boo hoo: PHI - Pinheiro, MA, BR - Airport - Great Circle Mapper

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.