Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No IFE for an entire plane but not a bad flight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA

I just got off AA 723 from Dublin and the old Airbus was showing her age. The IFE didn't work for anyone but it wasn't a bad flight because:

1. Check in and clearing immigration in DUB is a pure joy.
2. The Flight attendants were attendant and most pleasant.
3. It arrived on time!

The Chief Attendant tried to apologise to me about the IFE. My response was "are the engines still spinning, and is the cabin holding pressure?"... we laughed and agreed that all was not so bad!

All in all a pleasant experience with good food at the front of the plane.... thumbs up to AA

G50
Antarius and robertablake like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:56 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
But if all of this occurred and with operational IFE the flight might have even been better.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Had this happen on LHR-DFW a couple years ago. Brand new 77W and all IFE was out, including wifi.

The cabin was sharing the newspapers off the cart with each other.
trooper and sm82 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
You have a very positive attitude that will help you lead a long and happy life. But I'd still ask for some compensation from AA.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Aircraft 332?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
It looks like the average age of AA's A330-200 (which this aircraft is one of) is 11.1 years.
https://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/...20Airlines.htm

There are far older aircraft out there flying. A great example, BA's B747's are on average 22.2 years, exactly twice as old.

I always travel with a computer that has a decent amount of movies/tv loaded to it, so I can always use my own IFE (works even better if there is on-board power). I do have an adapter to charge in the cigarette lighter-type charging receptacles.

Glad that it was otherwise a good flight, and it looks like it actually arrived at PHL early.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by aztimm
It looks like the average age of AA's A330-200 (which this aircraft is one of) is 11.1 years.
https://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/...20Airlines.htm

There are far older aircraft out there flying. A great example, BA's B747's are on average 22.2 years, exactly twice as old.

I always travel with a computer that has a decent amount of movies/tv loaded to it, so I can always use my own IFE (works even better if there is on-board power). I do have an adapter to charge in the cigarette lighter-type charging receptacles.

Glad that it was otherwise a good flight, and it looks like it actually arrived at PHL early.
The 332 looks beautiful in AA livery. I flew one a few years ago (and most recently a 333 on IB) and thought it was very quiet.

I only wish AA would have added a 346--the flying pencil--to it's inventory.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
So, now the only standard for a good flight is that it didn't crash and arrived on time? Well, at least for all of AA's flights they get one of those right. The other...eh, it feels like 50/50 at best.
DCP2016, nancypants and justforfun like this.

Last edited by GNRMatt; Dec 16, 2018 at 6:39 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
When are you starting the thread asking for how many miles you should get as compensation?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Stripe
You have a very positive attitude that will help you lead a long and happy life. But I'd still ask for some compensation from AA.
I agree...no IFE on a trans-Atlantic flight would have been quite disappointing for myself and probably worse for my wife....the plane is where we get all caught up on our movies.
AANYC1981 and DCP2016 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
I was on a brand new 77W HKG-DFW without IFE for the entire flight. Not a problem, the crew were excellent. The Captain thanked everyone at the end of the flight also adding "nobody complained".

Never even considered asking for compensation, but then for me personally not having IFE is really quite trivial in the scheme of things.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:15 am
Suspended

OP I think I get you. Sitting in front of the plane, being in business class, you can sleep on your private bed. IFE is not necessary. But OP, I think you will find people sitting in the back of the plane, possible 200 of them, the flight experience is a hell lot worse. My 2 cent.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chongcao
OP I think I get you. Sitting in front of the plane, being in business class, you can sleep on your private bed. IFE is not necessary. But OP, I think you will find people sitting in the back of the plane, possible 200 of them, the flight experience is a hell lot worse. My 2 cent.
I couldn't agree with you more, and it would have been even worse for pax with kids that needed entertaining.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by ginger50
I just got off AA 723 from Dublin and the old Airbus was showing her age. The IFE didn't work for anyone but it wasn't a bad flight because:

1. Check in and clearing immigration in DUB is a pure joy.
2. The Flight attendants were attendant and most pleasant.
3. It arrived on time!

The Chief Attendant tried to apologise to me about the IFE. My response was "are the engines still spinning, and is the cabin holding pressure?"... we laughed and agreed that all was not so bad!

All in all a pleasant experience with good food at the front of the plane.... thumbs up to AA

G50
Did you pay for business? upgraded? award?
Just curious.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Did you pay for business? upgraded? award?
Just curious.
I paid for business... I chose the DUB - MIA (via PHL) route because it is half the price of direct LHR - MIA, and I was able to catch up with some friends in DUB on the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.