Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Multiple aa flights over 3 months, one pnr or multiple?

Old Dec 15, 18, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Next year im going to travel a lot in canada usa and central america, potentially as below over may to October. What are the advantages of multiple pnrs and seperate, or should i just price it all and go for cheapest option? OW emerald btw.
thanks in advance

ottawa
new orleans
belize city
orlando
bahamas return to orlando
dominican republic
detroit
Calgary
San fran
Old Dec 15, 18, 4:06 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by s115 View Post
Next year im going to travel a lot in canada usa and central america, potentially as below over may to October. What are the advantages of multiple pnrs and seperate, or should i just price it all and go for cheapest option? OW emerald btw.
thanks in advance

ottawa
new orleans
belize city
orlando
bahamas return to orlando
dominican republic
detroit
Calgary
San fran
I doubt that these would price well together as multiple tickets on the same PNR can trigger undesired fare increases if AA tries to marry segments however even if there was no cost difference, a single PNR for so many individual segments may work against you as well if a screw-up happens where a segment gets borked, possibly cancelling the rest out as well and requiring a bit of work to recover.
JDiver and trooper like this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Very good points. i'll have to sit down and try it all. I'll probably end up making it a few different separate 'trips'. try to get those BZE costs down - they are notoriously expensive with AA unfortunately. And I need the free baggage OWE affords me
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:13 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
If you have any changes you'd need to make, you could make a bunch all at once for one $200 change fee instead of each one individually.
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:18 am

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
Can you "legally" book all this under one PNR?
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:29 am

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Can you "legally" book all this under one PNR?
Was wondering same. AA award has maximum of three segments per award or something like that. Does revenue ticket have similar maximum segment or stop over rule? I guess multiple tickets can be issued under one PNR, does not have to be one ticket to be under one PNR. However, if tickets are under one PNR, then will entire tickets be under the most restrictive fare rule of a segment even if it is multiple tickets under one PNR?
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One good reason not to do this is that the change fee will be the highest change fee for any segment. Thus, $300 per change and not $200 per change. Additionally, AA does not permit SDC on international tickets until all international segments have been flown. Here that is the last segment.

Unless there were astonishing savings, this can be a very expensive proposition based on factors which OP cannot predict at this point.
Old Dec 15, 18, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
Was wondering same. AA award has maximum of three segments per award or something like that. Does revenue ticket have similar maximum segment or stop over rule? I guess multiple tickets can be issued under one PNR, does not have to be one ticket to be under one PNR. However, if tickets are under one PNR, then will entire tickets be under the most restrictive fare rule of a segment even if it is multiple tickets under one PNR?
That is an arbitrary limit AA puts on award tickets to basically make miles even harder to use (). A paid ticket can have up to 16 segments on a single PNR.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 15, 18 at 10:21 am Reason: Add emphasis
Old Dec 15, 18, 8:32 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
Was wondering same. AA award has maximum of three segments per award or something like that.
Three customer-requested for domestic and four for international per one-way award however emphasis here is on customer-requested.
Old Dec 15, 18, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Also if you need to make a change with a single PNR there is only 1 change fee but it will re-fare all remaining flights which can get quite expensive.
Old Dec 15, 18, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
All that is said above, plus you probably will not optimize the availability of the lowest priced tix by buying them all at once while the flights are spread over 3 months, IMHO.
Old Dec 15, 18, 10:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
IMO, do t even think of it. Layers of complexity and difficulty added - for what possible purpose? I’d ticket each separate trip on its own PNR.
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:22 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA EXP, United Silver
Originally Posted by enpremiere View Post
Three customer-requested for domestic and four for international per one-way award however emphasis here is on customer-requested.
IRROPS can make it more but no one wants that.
Old Dec 16, 18, 3:00 am
Original Poster

So I tried the first three flights as one PNR... 1700usd. Individually in main cabin y... around 700usd cant rmbr figures exactly. I could fly in J/A easily with the cost of one PNR!
Thanks for the inputs.
Old Dec 16, 18, 4:58 am

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by s115 View Post
Very good points. i'll have to sit down and try it all. I'll probably end up making it a few different separate 'trips'. try to get those BZE costs down - they are notoriously expensive with AA unfortunately. And I need the free baggage OWE affords me
For US domestic route, I'm not sure if AA offer free check bag disregard the elite status or not.

From here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp
It seems like they just charge on everyone for domestic and certain route.... can anyone confirm? If AA does charge, and if you are US resident, probably can look into those credit card that offers free check bag one, like what chase did for UA

Search this Thread