Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booked mixed itin on AA & CX; CX fare and cabin changed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

I'm not a regular AA/OW flyer, so forgive me if this is a "known" question.

Booked a trip, through AA, LAX>HKG>BKK (and return) in Premium Economy. Chose seats for all segments on the relevant websites about a week ago.

Got an email tonight from CX that my return BKK>HKG segment (which they're operating) has been changed. The only thing changed, though, is the fare, which was P, and is now I.

Log into CX site, with CX PNR, and I'm now showing as being seated in Business, not Premium Economy.

I'm certainly not complaining, but does anyone know what led to that?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Presguy
I'm not a regular AA/OW flyer, so forgive me if this is a "known" question.

Booked a trip, through AA, LAX>HKG>BKK (and return) in Premium Economy. Chose seats for all segments on the relevant websites about a week ago.

Got an email tonight from CX that my return BKK>HKG segment (which they're operating) has been changed. The only thing changed, though, is the fare, which was P, and is now I.

Log into CX site, with CX PNR, and I'm now showing as being seated in Business, not Premium Economy.

I'm certainly not complaining, but does anyone know what led to that?
When 4-class a/c get replaced with 3-class a/c, CX often bumps up W passengers to J.
Presguy likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Ah.. Thanks. A change of aircraft did cross my mind, but I didn't think to look for that.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
CX operates a wide mix of aircraft on HKG<>BKK. They fly 4 class (F, Biz, PE, Y), 3 class (Biz, PE, Y), and 2 class (Biz, Y). You were likely booked in PE on a 3 or 4 class aircraft that has been subbed with a 2 class and they've bumped you to Biz due to the lack of PE.

If you give us your dates and flight numbers someone can tell you exactly what changed.
Presguy likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:32 am

In the past I have booked a CX ticket ORD-HKG-SIN in premium economy, and had the HKG-SIN legs book into business when the HKG-SIN plane had no PE section.
Presguy likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Before you get your hopes up for a lie-flat seat, it’s possible your new equipment has the regional Business seating that will be a modest step over Premium Economy. But the important thing is you’ve been hand,Ed with CX efficieand not “busted” to Economy.
Presguy likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
If you give us your dates and flight numbers someone can tell you exactly what changed.
It's CX 750 on 27 Feb - You're right that a change of acft is exactly what happend. When I saw my seat change it didn't register in my head, since I was on the Cathay site, which only showed my current cabin. Once I saw the responses here, and looked on seatguru to see all the available cabins at once, it made sense.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Before you get your hopes up for a lie-flat seat, it’s possible your new equipment has the regional Business seating that will be a modest step over Premium Economy. But the important thing is you’ve been hand,Ed with CX efficieand not “busted” to Economy.
Since I don't have any CX/OW status, any upgrade at all was an unexpected bonus- even if there's not a huge different in product.

Besides, most of my time in BKK is gonna be doing a martial arts training camp. Even if my unexpected upgrade to Biz isn't great, it'll still probably be one of the less painful times on the trip.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I had this happen on my last trip. They upgraded you to C since the new aircraft does not have W. It is important to call AA and have them reissue the ticket (for some reason they don't do it automatically with OAL booking class changes) or you will not be able to check in with CX.
Presguy likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Presguy
It's CX 750 on 27 Feb - You're right that a change of acft is exactly what happend. When I saw my seat change it didn't register in my head, since I was on the Cathay site, which only showed my current cabin. Once I saw the responses here, and looked on seatguru to see all the available cabins at once, it made sense.
CX750 BKK-HKG on Feb 27 shows as an Airbus A350-1000 which has premium economy. The PE section has no seats assigned (it's empty) according to Expert Flyer. The availability also shows W0 meaning they're not selling PE seats. So this is an odd situation. Maybe they're anticipating another aircraft change.
Presguy and JDiver like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.