No incentive to cancel award flights?

Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Question No incentive to cancel award flights?

I need to cancel two award flights to Hawaii due to a family emergency. Customer service tells me I can change to a different date, same destination, with no penalty, but this is not an option for me. To get the award miles back, I have to pay $150 for each flight. Out of spite, I could just not cancel, and deny American the ability to rebook those seats for revenue. It's a mystery to me why they would not provide some sort of incentive, e.g. some percentage of miles returned, so that they could rebook the seats.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by bobbieharv
I need to cancel two award flights to Hawaii due to a family emergency. Customer service tells me I can change to a different date, same destination, with no penalty, but this is not an option for me. To get the award miles back, I have to pay $150 for each flight. Out of spite, I could just not cancel, and deny American the ability to rebook those seats for revenue. It's a mystery to me why they would not provide some sort of incentive, e.g. some percentage of miles returned, so that they could rebook the seats.
- I would still move the flights if there is a remote possibility for you flying later.
Note that your question is equally valid for paid tickets.
Why AA would not provide some sort of incentives to cancel those ticket? Perhaps, because not all flights are filled to the brim and AA has reliable statistical prediction on how many people would not show up. Finally, often there are non-revenue who will take any no-show seats.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Rules are rules, and the rules AA (and most every other airline) have are meant to be as punitive to the customer as legally possible to maximize revenue in the long run.

8 years ago, a relative member needed to to fly her return from Hawaii a few days early for a family emergency. AA said there was no 'residual value' left on her discount Y ticket bought on third party site since the value was 'used up' on her flight there. Doing a change would be the change fee + entire new cost of the one way flight.

Again, AA provided zero incentive to change, cancel, or do anything to that originally booked ticket so she left it as is, hoped the seat just flew empty, and booked a different airline home.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
What you can do is change your flights to a dummy date way off in the future, then watch your itinerary over the coming months for the inevitable schedule change. When this happens, you can typically just cancel and redeposit the miles for free.
CO-PLAT, wolfeman27, E55 and 12 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Out of spite, I could just not cancel, and deny American the ability to rebook those seats for revenue. It's a mystery to me why they would not provide some sort of incentive, e.g. some percentage of miles returned, so that they could rebook the seats.
Originally Posted by MarkOK
... Again, AA provided zero incentive to change, cancel, or do anything to that originally booked ticket so she left it as is, hoped the seat just flew empty, and booked a different airline home.
If you accrued or redeemed miles, AA is already getting getting the last laugh. There is no spite or emotion in mileage programs these days so anything to "stick it to the company" is purely a personal head game.

Equipment swaps and schedule changes certainly qualify for redeposit fee waivers.
E55 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:43 pm

Do you have a Dr's not or death certificate? If so, try again. They can waive it under certain circumstances.

Otherwise, pay to 150 and keep the miles for something else. Sometimes it is better to cut your losses and not worry about it anymore. AA is no different (and often better) then other carriers.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Airlines overbook flights allowing for the fact that somre passengers will just not turn up ; you won't be denying AA anything by doing so

You might deny someone else the opportunity to book an award ticket since cancelling the award might make award seats available for others

Are the miles used worth more than $150?

In the end, it is documented that award redeposit fee is $150 for 1sr 1st award and $25 for additional awards deposited into the same account

If you hav 2 awards, both issued on the same account, it would cost $175
E55 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I don't get it. They do provide an incentive. If you pay the redeposit fee, you get all your miles back. If you don't, they keep your miles. Surely the miles are worth more than $150 per ticket to you?

This has nothing to do with the above cases of non-refundable cash tickets where, quite often, it really does cost less just to throw out a ticket than to change it.
enpremiere, JDiver and writerguyfl like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a simple business transaction, not some high school affair which went wrong.

AA knows that there are some percentage of no shows for all manner of reasons. That is why it overbooks. Usually, AA nails it and does not need to offload anybody. Sometimes it does. Hence VDB/IDB.

If the miles are worth less than $150 to you, I agree. Don't do anything as the flight might be severely delayed or cancelled and you would then be entitled to a full refund without any fee. If they are worth more than $150, then "spiting" AA is plain silly. But, if you think that this matters one bit to AA, you are mistaken.
sonofzeus likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
out of spite, you decide not to exchange 150 USD with the miles + tax back.
it is a financial decision. it depends on how much you value the miles.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The phrase "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind
Often1, enpremiere and JDiver like this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Dec 14, 2018 at 4:40 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:10 pm

As of today, AA's schedule post Apr 1st 2019 has not been firmed-up.
i.e. rebook for free today for new flights on or shortly after Apr 2nd 2019 and wait for the schedule change in the next couple of weeks to get a free redeposit

Last edited by Colin; Dec 14, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
What makes you think AA hasn't overbooked from the beginning?
E55 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Those seats will not go out empty.
enpremiere, CPRich, JMN57 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
​​​​​​Do you happen to hold an AA credit card? Some offer trip cancellation insurance, depending on the nature of your "family emergency."

Also, if you rebook for award travel on a distant future date, there is some chance that there will be a significant schedule change between now and then, which would allow you to re-deposit your miles at no charge.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.