Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No incentive to cancel award flights?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bobbieharv
Out of spite, I could just not cancel, and deny American the ability to rebook those seats for revenue. It's a mystery to me why they would not provide some sort of incentive, e.g. some percentage of miles returned, so that they could rebook the seats.
Because they get $150 vs. nil, and might have people on standby and when you no show they earn money from someone else. And at some point you have to fly or return the points because the ticket expires. They will gain from the fee or the usage of the points and are patient.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
What makes you think AA hasn't overbooked from the beginning?
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Those seats will not go out empty.
Now that he called, they know at least a seat may be opening up
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Out of spite, I could just not cancel, and deny American the ability to rebook those seats for revenue. It's a mystery to me why they would not provide some sort of incentive, e.g. some percentage of miles returned, so that they could rebook the seats.
Yes, you could not cancel out of spite. What's a mystery to me, however, is why some people need an incentive to do the right/courteous/honest (pick one or substitute your own choice) thing.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes, you could not cancel out of spite. What's a mystery to me, however, is why some people need an incentive to do the right/courteous/honest (pick one or substitute your own choice) thing.
Of course, not canceling also means he might be depriving someone else the opportunity to get a flight that would be better for them
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
In my experience, the people you're referring to are under the mistake impression that by simply making a reservation, their seat is 100% guaranteed, and therefore by not cancelling, that seat will go out empty.

What they haven't realized is that airlines factor no-shows into revenue management, and don't need a passenger's permission to sell more tickets for a particular class of service than there are seats.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I need to cancel two award flights to Hawaii due to a family emergency. Customer service tells me I can change to a different date, same destination, with no penalty, but this is not an option for me. To get the award miles back, I have to pay $150 for each flight. Out of spite, I could just not cancel, and deny American the ability to rebook those seats for revenue. It's a mystery to me why they would not provide some sort of incentive, e.g. some percentage of miles returned, so that they could rebook the seats.
Spite, eh? When you no showed, they probably sold your seat(s) to standby passengers.

Well, here’s the deal. If you cancel two awards from the same account it’s $150+$25.

Some change the dates to as far out as possible and use schedule changes of ~2 hours or more to cancel and redeposit the miles free of charge.

But hey, exact your revenge and lose your miles. That’ll show them!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I need to cancel two award flights to Hawaii due to a family emergency. Customer service tells me I can change to a different date, same destination, with no penalty, but this is not an option for me. To get the award miles back, I have to pay $150 for each flight. Out of spite, I could just not cancel, and deny American the ability to rebook those seats for revenue. It's a mystery to me why they would not provide some sort of incentive, e.g. some percentage of miles returned, so that they could rebook the seats.
AA doesn't need your permission to sell seats. It's their aircraft. They can sell as many seats as they want. I'm guessing you mean that you forfeit some miles but only a percentage. Surely you don't really mean that AA incentivize you to cancel the ticket?? If you do, well hello new stream of MS. Who needs a credit card when you can sit on your couch and book and cancel all day long??

If you do mean forfeit, then what's appropriate? 5,000 miles per ticket? To get your mileage balance back up and replace those miles you could buy them from AA for about $150. Whoa!! Anyone else get a sense of deja-vu just then??
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The odds of AA selling every single seat except the ones you will be using is near zero. Either the flight will be not full, so there was no revenue for your seat whether you use it or not, or the flight will be oversold, in which case AA will get the revenue for your seat when someone fills it.

So 98% of the time, your decision is revenue neutral to AA.

So it's pretty much your choice if you want to spent $175 to retain points worth probably $1,000 or more, or to "show them" by letting $1,000 or more of your money vaporize.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I got around the $150 redeposit fee by making Executive Platinum a few months later. I was Plat at the time and knew I’d make EXP so I just moved the ticket out to a dummy date much later and when I made EXP, got the ticket cancelled and redeposited for free 😁
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:41 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If OP cancelled a day or two before T-0, (theoretically) AA might be able to sell his seat for big $; if he cancels at T-5 minutes it is unlikely they'll have a big $ buyer.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nrr
If OP cancelled a day or two before T-0, (theoretically) AA might be able to sell his seat for big $; if he cancels at T-5 minutes it is unlikely they'll have a big $ buyer.
That's true regardless of whether the OP cancels or not. AA is going to do whatever AA wants to do. If they won't sell any more tickets because they are already overbooked, then OP cancelling 2 days in advance or T-5 isn't likely to change that as that just lines up with what AA expected to happen.

If the flight isn't oversold then they'll sell tickets regardless of what the OP does.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Colin
As of today, AA's schedule post Apr 1st 2019 has not been firmed-up.
i.e. rebook for free today for new flights on or shortly after Apr 2nd 2019 and wait for the schedule change in the next couple of weeks to get a free redeposit
as predicted, AA’s schedule for Apr 2019 is now firmed-up!
Use it to your advantage for free redeposits and ideal flight selection (without regard to restricted inventory).
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Rules are rules, and the rules AA (and most every other airline) have are meant to be as punitive to the customer as legally possible to maximize revenue in the long run.

8 years ago, a relative member needed to to fly her return from Hawaii a few days early for a family emergency. AA said there was no 'residual value' left on her discount Y ticket bought on third party site since the value was 'used up' on her flight there. Doing a change would be the change fee + entire new cost of the one way flight.

Again, AA provided zero incentive to change, cancel, or do anything to that originally booked ticket so she left it as is, hoped the seat just flew empty, and booked a different airline home.
Welcome to US main airlines...

I remember few years back I booked delta (post-merger) to LAX from Houghton. However, a week before I found that I booked a wrong date so I called to change my flight date. Guess what?

They told me because I bought at discounted price, so there is a change fee and price difference, which end up the total was more than I just book a new return flight. The only good part is they offer me to request for refund, but they would only refund in voucher instead of direct debit back to my CC/

Since then I would just very careful when booking any US main airlines
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
AA expects a certain number of seats to go unflown. If anything they'll make more money if you don't cancel since revenue management will see a certain load and will allow oversold conditions to go on for more money. For example, back in 2013 I was on a flight where Y cost more than J because if someone was dumb enough to buy the economy seat (or corporate policies did not allow business even when it makes financial sense), AA could move someone up to business.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by dici
Welcome to US main airlines...
Since then I would just very careful when booking any US main airlines
This is not in any way US-specific. Most airlines sell restricted tickets with substantial change fees (or, in many cases, the tickets can't be changed or refunded under any circumstances).

Conversely, Southwest (the third-largest "US main airline") offers a far more customer-friendly change/cancellation policy than most non-US airlines.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.