Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UK Air Passenger Duty / APD - Tax Refund Connecting on Separate Tickets

Old Dec 13, 18, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP 75k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond

I used a SWU to go from Y to J on an AA flight LHR-LAX. The agent mentioned that because I was upgrading into J, I would have to pay the Premium Cabin Tax (About $100)

I told her I was flying into LHR on IB with a separate ticket, and connecting to the AA flight a little under 3hrs later. She said I could have the Premium Cabin Tax refunded if I went through the ticket refund process on AA.com and submitted my IB ticket number.

Is this true? Anyone have experience doing something like this?
Old Dec 13, 18, 4:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, MaÓtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ View Post
I used a SWU to go from Y to J on an AA flight LHR-LAX. The agent mentioned that because I was upgrading into J, I would have to pay the Premium Cabin Tax (About $100)

I told her I was flying into LHR on IB with a separate ticket, and connecting to the AA flight a little under 3hrs later. She said I could have the Premium Cabin Tax refunded if I went through the ticket refund process on AA.com and submitted my IB ticket number.

Is this true? Anyone have experience doing something like this?
The United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty, an excise tax, isnít required on U.K.connections of 23:59 or less. Iíve avoided it on separate ticketing (e.g. FI to AA) when purchasing, but Iíve not tried to get it refunded. Nonetheless, I believe AA should refund it with proof of your UK connection, as it was incorrectly charged.

You were charged the difference between the £78 reduced rate youíd already paid and the £156 full rate due for C or F. Thatís about USD $98.74. For that money, Iíd certainly give it a go.
Old Dec 13, 18, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty, an excise tax, isnít required on U.K.connections of 23:59 or less. Iíve avoided it on separate ticketing (e.g. FI to AA) when purchasing, but Iíve not tried to get it refunded. Nonetheless, I believe AA should refund it with proof of your UK connection, as it was incorrectly charged.

You were charged the difference between the £78 reduced rate youíd already paid and the £156 full rate due for C or F. Thatís about USD $98.74. For that money, Iíd certainly give it a go.
Thanks for the reply. How did you avoid the tax when purchasing on separate tickets? Did you speak with AA to book your flight and give them your FI flight info during booking?
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 13, 18, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ View Post
Thanks for the reply. How did you avoid the tax when purchasing on separate tickets? Did you speak with AA to book your flight and give them your FI flight info during booking?
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 13, 18, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
The policy says they will do this IF they can see both tickets. Was the IB ticket in a different PNR not booked through AA?
Old Dec 13, 18, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

I have not actually booked the flight but it would be either a cash ticket booked through IB directly, or an award ticket if one opens up in the next couple days. Since avios is cheaper then AA miles on that route, I'd book the award ticket through BA
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Dec 13, 18, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The rules on APD for transfers which are not connections require conjunction tickets. That is an archaic term and dates to when paper tickets were physically stapled together. That is the cross-reference note in the AA instructions.

It will take a phone agent to issue these tickets because the process requires the manual entry of the conjunction numbers, e.g. Ticket #1 as an endorsement to Ticket #2 .

Your situation is fairly common and it matters a great deal not just for upgrades but for people purchasing separate premium tickets.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 13, 18, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The rules on APD for transfers which are not connections require conjunction tickets. That is an archaic term and dates to when paper tickets were physically stapled together. That is the cross-reference note in the AA instructions..
It is not archaic and still has relevance - some fares can only be sold in conjunction with other fares and end up forming a single contract of carriage ( e.g. Qantas Walkabout Pass fare )
Old Dec 14, 18, 6:33 am

Programs: AA-CK, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have this happen fairly regularly and it is generally a pain in the... I have never had to file for a refund as I politely insist that they check with Tariffs after giving them the relevant record locators and ticket numbers. After talking to tariffs and a lot of clicking on the keyboard, I'm charged the correct amount. For me the key has been to get the agent to get tariffs involved which some are loathe to do because they are right and you are wrong!
JDiver and enpremiere like this.
Old Dec 14, 18, 2:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

i don't think this applies to the conditions described by FlyingFrZ because the underlying tickets are not based on a valid connection status. As the underlying fare was calculated with an APD charge at the reduced rate, the connection status would remain unaltered therefore the standard rate of APD would be calculated when the upgrade is applied.

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 14, 18 at 2:08 pm
Old Dec 14, 18, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If one is really committed to this, the UK publishes an entire user "friendly" guide on what it needs to see in order to consider two separately-issued tickets as conjunction tickets and what the endorsements on each ticket must contain.

In this case, OP would need to have the endorsement added to both tickets by the marketing carrier (unless AA has the capability to do this for an IB ticket). This was last updated on 3/22/2018 and still refers to "ticket booklets".

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/air-pass...nected-flights
Old Dec 14, 18, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
If one is really committed to this, the UK publishes an entire user "friendly" guide on what it needs to see in order to consider two separately-issued tickets as conjunction tickets and what the endorsements on each ticket must contain.

In this case, OP would need to have the endorsement added to both tickets by the marketing carrier (unless AA has the capability to do this for an IB ticket). This was last updated on 3/22/2018 and still refers to "ticket booklets".

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/air-pass...nected-flights
Nothing needs to be noted on the tickets if a "flight summary" showing both flights is prepared. (Whether both carriers must prepare such a summary now is something I don't know.)

From the link:

"The flights may meet all the other qualifying conditions for connected flights, but theyíll only qualify for the exemption if the connection is shown on the tickets or a flight summary." (Emphasis added.)
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 7:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

The flight summary is normally produced when the flight reservation is formed.

A working example of this which I have regular experience with are travel itineraries that comprise of two PNRs issued as a single ticket: effectively a BA LHR-HKG corporate fare + CX HKG-TPE published fare. Here the bookings are combined and whenever the details are called up (in my case, via the Amadeus GDS), the flight summary contains the full set of flights. The flight summary appears in full when the BA PNR is viewed in Manage by Booking and the full set of flights also appears during online check-in on both BA and CX systems.

I know it is possible to retrospectively link separate bookings in such a way that creates a single flight summary, and I have seen this first hand as the beneficiary of a policy override performed by an AAngel when she accepted my luggage and through checked it through to London despite there being two entirely separate tickets.

Returning to FlyingFrZ's situation, I suspect the refunds team will deny the request on the basis of the connection status when the tickets are reviewed. They are separate tickets, clearly so. However, had they been issued as conjunction tickets, or linked in such a way to produce a combined flight summary then I suspect there is a relatively good chance of receiving a refund on the ADP paid.
Old Jul 31, 19, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), SPG LT Plat, United 1k
Thumbs up Another data point

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post

My experience today trying to remove UK APD before ticketing an award reservation:

I have a paid BA flight booked from LIS-LHR arriving 930pm on 9/14 (part of a RTW ticket - AA ticketed). I put an economy award on hold departing LHR-ORD 745am on 9/15; the award priced out including APD of $95 per person (78 GBP). I called AA ExPlat line and asked that they remove the UK APD before I book the award ticket and provided the RTW AA record-locator.

1st Agent: What? Ok, give me locators for both and I will check. After 5 minute hold, "pricing" says the tax is still due. I pushed back a bit but agent didn't seem to want to try anything else. HUCA.
2nd Agent: Ok, please give me both locators. Reads through the RTW ticket and finds the LIS-LHR flight, confirms it arrives within 24HR of award. Puts me on hold. Somehow redirected to RTW desk, who then connect me back to ExPlat.
3rd Agent: "I see what you are trying to do", let me talk to tariffs. On hold for 5 minutes. Agent comes back and asks "why" should the APD be removed. I explain that I'll be in UK less than 24 hrs via the two flights, so the tax should not be charged. A few more minutes on hold and she comes back and let's me know the reservation has been updated. When i pull it up on AA.com I see the reduced taxes and I can now book/pay for the reservation online without the APD.

Took 15-20 minutes but saves $95 per passenger; in my case 2 - so $190 savings.
Old Oct 9, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
Question VS to AA on separate tickets

Has anyone had success getting AA to properly calculate UK APD or lack thereof when the inbound flight to London is on a non-oneworld carrier? I'm considering flying inbound to LHR on VS (purchased from VS) and connecting to an AA flight in J. Since my connection is within 24 hours, this would be exempt from the APD.

Will AA be able to see the VS flight via the VS ticket number on VS ticket stock?

Thank you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: