Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flagship Agent tried to remove me from Upgrade List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flagship Agent tried to remove me from Upgrade List

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
I have never had anything but bad experience with JFK Flagship Check-in. I have even been denied access to JFK Flagship check-in as EXP twice by the door agent claiming Flagship was for CK or non AA Emerald. Once was in J to Europe and another time in F to LAX. Both times I mentioned this to the Flagship lounge agents and both times they profusely apologized and said it shouldn't happen and I would hear from a manager. Neither time have I received follow up communication.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with the door agent at FL checkin at JFK, too. I hardly ever have any interaction with the checkin agents (aside from smiling as I walk by), but when I have, they’ve been fine.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ECKOA6
I have never had anything but bad experience with JFK Flagship Check-in. I have even been denied access to JFK Flagship check-in as EXP twice by the door agent claiming Flagship was for CK or non AA Emerald. Once was in J to Europe and another time in F to LAX. Both times I mentioned this to the Flagship lounge agents and both times they profusely apologized and said it shouldn't happen and I would hear from a manager. Neither time have I received follow up communication.
Even Plats on intl. itns are permitted to use FL lounges.
The last time I used the JFK FL lounge there were two agents stationed at the elevator on the TSA level, I assume there were agents also posted at the 1-14 level, since no agent upstairs checked my bp.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nrr
The last time I used the JFK FL lounge there were two agents stationed at the elevator on the TSA level, I assume there were agents also posted at the 1-14 level, since no agent upstairs checked my bp.
To be clear I'm speaking about the door agent at Flagship Check-in.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Well, it's bad that she didn't know the rules. And it's bad that her attitude was to err on the opposite side of the customer. On the other hand, nothing actually bad happened, and she was willing to go figure out the correct information. So...meh, disappointing but not really a big deal.

Couple months ago I was on a mainline flight on AA in Y and had this conversation:

FA: Something to drink?
Me: Sure, I'll have a Jack Daniels and Coke Zero please.
FA: OK, that'll be $8, one sec...
Me: Oh, I'm exec-plat.
FA: You're what?
Me: Exec-plat...Executive Platinum?
FA: What's that? What, you get free drinks?
Me: Yeah....it's your top tier frequent flyer status....you don't know about it?
FA: No, I don't know anything about that.
Me: Ummm....can you ask somebody?

She conferred with the other FA and determined that EXP is an actual thing. Same story....pretty incredible to me that she didn't know anything at all about their program, but at the end of the day the result was satisfactory.

Remember, they're there "for your safety", despite 99.999% of their job being wait staff. Why would you expect them to have any skills or training associated with the 99.999% part of their job? :-/
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by ECKOA6

To be clear I'm speaking about the door agent at Flagship Check-in.
Sadly, several responders have totally missed that your post (as well as the OPs post) was about Flagship Check-in - NOT Flagship Lounge.
ijgordon, C17PSGR and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Well, it's bad that she didn't know the rules. And it's bad that her attitude was to err on the opposite side of the customer. On the other hand, nothing actually bad happened, and she was willing to go figure out the correct information. So...meh, disappointing but not really a big deal.

Couple months ago I was on a mainline flight on AA in Y and had this conversation:

FA: Something to drink?
Me: Sure, I'll have a Jack Daniels and Coke Zero please.
FA: OK, that'll be $8, one sec...
Me: Oh, I'm exec-plat.
FA: You're what?
Me: Exec-plat...Executive Platinum?
FA: What's that? What, you get free drinks?
Me: Yeah....it's your top tier frequent flyer status....you don't know about it?
FA: No, I don't know anything about that.
Me: Ummm....can you ask somebody?

She conferred with the other FA and determined that EXP is an actual thing. Same story....pretty incredible to me that she didn't know anything at all about their program, but at the end of the day the result was satisfactory.
Wow - very surprising - sounds like the FA wasn't trained on the use of the hand held device. EXP's show as "green" on the hand held seat map. Regular passengers show blue. I guess she did not know that MCE also get a free drink.

I have had two situations:
1. FA's look in advance and know who is EXP and who gets the free snack and drink. I have even had some come around in advance and ask me so they reserved a sandwich for an EXP - in case they were to run out before they got to my row.
2. I tell the FA that I am EXP and they look on the hand held to verify.

Not had a situation that a FA did not know.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Sadly, several responders have totally missed that your post (as well as the OPs post) was about Flagship Check-in - NOT Flagship Lounge.
I confess ... I missed that OP is talking about Flagship Checkin (not the lounge). I was surprised that anyone at the lounge would remove him since they would certainly be aware of EXP's.

But .... those working in the AC and FL Lounge are in Premium Services and tend to have more experience. Maybe that's not the case at Flagship Checkin.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
Wow - very surprising - sounds like the FA wasn't trained on the use of the hand held device. EXP's show as "green" on the hand held seat map. Regular passengers show blue. I guess she did not know that MCE also get a free drink.

I have had two situations:
1. FA's look in advance and know who is EXP and who gets the free snack and drink. I have even had some come around in advance and ask me so they reserved a sandwich for an EXP - in case they were to run out before they got to my row.
2. I tell the FA that I am EXP and they look on the hand held to verify.

Not had a situation that a FA did not know.
At least I haven't had any problems in MCE getting a free drink. Of course, in today's market the FA's simply hand you a cup of ice, a unopened can of Coke, and 2 unopened bottles of Rum
The odd part of this is lately, when I just order Coke, I get a tiny bit in a cup of ice. But if I order rum & Coke, I get a whole can of Coke and 2 bottles of rum
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nrr
This is NOT about Flagship Lounges; it is about Flagship Check-in.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:13 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
This is NOT about Flagship Lounges; it is about Flagship Check-in.
Yes, I realized that (now) from reading a few posts upthread. But from other threads there are (contract) agents who are guardians of the FL c/I portal who may not be "up" on AAs rules of admittance.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
FA recently asked me to pay for my drink in coach

I handed her my concierge key membership card and she tried to run it and then told me my credit card was no good

I pointed out I was ck and the card showed that and that cks don’t pay for drinks

She demanded payment anyway and I went ahead and gave her the money since it was clear she was an idiot.

There are some very poorly trained folks flyin around out there!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I have to say that this is nothing new. I can recall having a dispute about upgrading on a 3-day advance fare back in 1992. I have some sympathy for ticket counter personnel or GAs, as the rules do change on a fairly regular basis. Now, getting a little attitude from these folks is another story. I can easily see AA being lax on training staff on these changes. AA knows that EXPs fully understand their policies, and aren’t afraid to share our knowledge when required.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Spyder
FA recently asked me to pay for my drink in coach

I handed her my concierge key membership card and she tried to run it and then told me my credit card was no good

I pointed out I was ck and the card showed that and that cks don’t pay for drinks

She demanded payment anyway and I went ahead and gave her the money since it was clear she was an idiot.

There are some very poorly trained folks flyin around out there!
For reference, it's noted in American Way on the F&B page about the CK/EXP benefit, so you could always show that if necessary. That said, I'd definitely email/DM AA on this. I know it's hardly worth it to get a $8 refund, but holy cow... this has been around for several years so it's inconceivable that an FA doesn't know about this benefit.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Close2KADS
I have to say that this is nothing new. I can recall having a dispute about upgrading on a 3-day advance fare back in 1992. I have some sympathy for ticket counter personnel or GAs, as the rules do change on a fairly regular basis. Now, getting a little attitude from these folks is another story. I can easily see AA being lax on training staff on these changes. AA knows that EXPs fully understand their policies, and aren’t afraid to share our knowledge when required.
I had an experience a few years ago where it took interaction with 8 or 9 different agents and supervisors regarding a credit I had received for cancelling an international ticket.
They kept insisting all travel had to be on an AA marketed (AA or codeshare with AA flight number) in order to be used, even though the rules clearly indicated only the transatlantic part had to be on AA. Finally got an AA rep on FB to resolve the issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.